Aboriginal RPAT scores

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BASZE
Rookie Member

Aboriginal RPAT scores

Postby BASZE » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:24 pm

I'm writing my RPAT on Nov 18th, anyone know what kind of score an aboriginal needs to get a pkg? I keep reading in these forums about a white male needing a 4.0 or higher to even be considered, is the competition that strong for aboriginals, visible minorities etc.?

jaymalo_eh

Postby jaymalo_eh » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:51 pm

Hey BASZE,

Only white males and, in some divisions, white females have to worry about the higher cut-off. Anyone else just needs the 3.20 to get a package.
Good luck on your RPAT, as long as you prep and study before hand its not too difficult to pass. :D
Meh...

Aux officer

Postby Aux officer » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:28 pm

Shouldn't it be same across the board? Thats why i like the the ATS testing, it doesn't matter who you are everything is the same for everyone.

jaymalo_eh

Postby jaymalo_eh » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:23 pm

According to recruiting,

"it is the same for everyone. A 3.20 is a pass for the RPAT.....however....because we get a large number of white males applying over visible minorities we have a different cut off to make it more fair for everyone applying."

Uh huh.... :roll:
Meh...

PC2130
Veteran Member

Riiiiight

Postby PC2130 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:07 pm

Oh yeah. I can see how that's fair. :roll:

I don't recall seeing Bob Rae's name on the ballot during the last election.
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

jeepin
Rookie Member

Postby jeepin » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:22 am

Thats Bull S@#T...a friend told me that a while back, RCMP made the mistake of letting in aboriginals with lowere RPAT marks and it turned out to be a disaster since they all flunked out of Depot. This mistake will not be repeated and everyone will get in with the same grades depending on how many applicants and the grade scale is in each division.
Last edited by jeepin on Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BASZE
Rookie Member

Postby BASZE » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:01 am

If I am correct in understanding the Recruiter said all white males are competing against eachother, all minorities compete against eachother etc. Is that correct?

Aux officer

Postby Aux officer » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:16 am

I've never heard that so I can't say if its true or not. But if it is, thats totally unfair.

Mark Reesor
Site Admin

Postby Mark Reesor » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:01 pm

jeepin wrote:don't be bitter folks... More white males are admitted into the RCMP every session than any other nationality...

I didn't know white was a nationality :D - though they do say it's technically not a colour...

themoose
Rookie Member

Postby themoose » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:54 pm

A shade I believe. Where's a colour wheel when ya need it??? :lol:

jeepin
Rookie Member

Postby jeepin » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:20 pm

BASZE wrote:If I am correct in understanding the Recruiter said all white males are competing against eachother, all minorities compete against eachother etc. Is that correct?

Not quite...but anyways... :roll:

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:13 pm

This is how the scoring for white folk and minorities was explained to us by the facilitators at Depot during my SS training...

The RPAT passing score is higher for white males because there are simply a large number that apply.

Let's say 1500 people pass the RPAT (3.2) with 'K' Division this bloc. 1300 white males, 200 minorities. Now recruiting has to send 1500 application packages and conduct 1500 interviews. That is 4 interviews a day, 7 days a week to process all of those applicants!!

So now, because so many white people apply, the RCMP had to do something to reduce the field. So now a white male has to score let's say a 4. Above 1300 males received higher than a 3.2 on the RPAT, but with the cutoff now being a 4, only 500 white males scored higher. So now 1500 is cut to 700. If you thought the process was slow now, imagine if they had to process applications for everyone who got 3.2.

"But why do minorities get a break"
Well they don't. If there were more minorities applying than white males, then minorities would have to score higher than a 3.2.
The RCMP are not lowing the standard for minorities, the standard is 3.2.. but because so many darned white males apply to the RCMP, they must obtain a very good score so the shear volume of applicants can be reduced to a manageable size.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:05 pm

If there are far too many people in general who pass the test, (and there obviously is since white males make up most of the applicants), then raise the standards for ALL applicants and let the chips fall where they may. That is the FAIR way of carrying out the process. You may not have the percentage of certain ethnic groups that you want to, but you'll have a good crop of applicants.

CO

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:10 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:If there are far too many people in general who pass the test, (and there obviously is since white males make up most of the applicants), then raise the standards for ALL applicants and let the chips fall where they may. That is the FAIR way of carrying out the process. You may not have the percentage of certain ethnic groups that you want to, but you'll have a good crop of applicants.

CO

Well what's fun about being fair CO? :) I agree with you. That would be the fair way. Just raise the pass to a 3.8 or whatever for all.

Oh well.. I am a white male applicant and it doesn't bother me too much.

Topper Harley
Rookie Member

Postby Topper Harley » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:25 pm

What ever happened to being hired because your the best person for the job. It should not make a difference who you are, if your better than the rest, you get hired. If I was in some sort of trouble, and needed a Police Officer to help me, I think I would rather have the one who is the best of the best. Am I alone on this, or do I have some backup?