Maybe it’s time to put the force back in to the service

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Morley

Maybe it’s time to put the force back in to the service

Postby Morley » Fri May 11, 2018 5:09 pm

The recent rash of police shootings and subsequent studies, trials, investigations and inquests has me concerned. As of late it appears few people give police the benefit of the doubt or understand an officer’s primary purpose. This is especially so if the final five seconds of a two minute encounter recorded on an iPhone is accepted by the public as the entire event....

https://behindthebluelineweb.com/2018/0 ... e-service/

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Re: Maybe it’s time to put the force back in to the service

Postby Hattie » Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Morley wrote:The recent rash of police shootings and subsequent studies, trials, investigations and inquests has me concerned. As of late it appears few people give police the benefit of the doubt or understand an officer’s primary purpose. This is especially so if the final five seconds of a two minute encounter recorded on an iPhone is accepted by the public as the entire event....

https://behindthebluelineweb.com/2018/0 ... e-service/

I have seen and heard online and elsewhere: "The camera does not lie."

I am sure most of us in law enforcement have seen in training or experienced personally just how damaging this viewpoint can be. The few incidents I have seen the videos of where, thankfully, there was a second camera angle which gave the full picture quickly discredited that notion for myself.

Specifically one incident where officers had a suspect at gunpoint who was holding a long gun and just as the guy was bending down to place the firearm on the ground, an officer came around a corner behind the suspect and shot him in the back. With no context or explanation, it looked bad.

However, what that angle did not show was the suspect was simultaneously pulling a handgun from his rear waistband area. This of course was captured from a second camera and corroborated the statements given by the officer who shot the suspect in the back.

It seems the current 'mistrust' of police the media is feeding the public, not unlike a few decades past, would have those skeptics say, without that second camera angle, "those officers planted that second gun to cover-up that officer shooting a man in the back while he was giving up."

I have seen multiple times the "they kept hitting him and saying stop resisting, but he don't look like he was resisting in the video, so they were using excessive force" comments.

It comes in waves and history repeats itself. However, there are those that no matter how much you explain or train them, their mistrust is so deep-rooted you will never appease them. Thankfully I believe many of those are just a vocal minority which the media loves to feed into. I believe the majority of people are still open to reason but I fear the day when then unreasonable become the majority.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.