Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Patch
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Patch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope the application process is going well for you all. I recently applied at the beginning of May and haven't been able to find any information on this in this thread, so I figured I'd ask: Based on your experiences, how long does it typically take for your File Manager to get in touch with you. I understand that these application processes can vary greatly in terms of timeline, and I'm more than willing to put in the time. My question is more curiosity than anything.

Thanks for the info and good luck to you all,
Patch :sniper:
AB Applicant
Troop 13: July 15, 2019

KSG
Rookie Member

Postby KSG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:20 pm

I hate to be rude but that is basically the only question that has been asked for the last few pages.
If you read back you will find that there is no answer to your question. The time frame varies for everyone and it most likely depends on how busy the recruiting unit is.
Calgary Police Service

Patch
Rookie Member

Postby Patch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:27 pm

KSG wrote:I hate to be rude but that is basically the only question that has been asked for the last few pages.
If you read back you will find that there is no answer to your question. The time frame varies for everyone and it most likely depends on how busy the recruiting unit is.

My apologies,

I went over the past few pages but I must have missed it. I understand completely that it varies depending on a number of factors, I was just curious if anybody that has recently applied had heard anything about testing for the early stages of the process. But, that's my bad that I didn't read thoroughly enough.

Thanks Anyways.
AB Applicant
Troop 13: July 15, 2019

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Patch wrote:
KSG wrote:I hate to be rude but that is basically the only question that has been asked for the last few pages.

My apologies,

I went over the past few pages but I must have missed it. I understand completely that it varies depending on a number of factors, I was just curious if anybody that has recently applied had heard anything about testing for the early stages of the process. But, that's my bad that I didn't read thoroughly enough.

Thanks Anyways.

Basically, you've covered it yourself. The range of time from drop-off to initial contact varies massively for any number of reasons, none of which we can know ahead of time, unfortunately.

As it stands, don't stress over long wait times through the process - there are no recruit classes scheduled for the foreseeable future, so it's not like you need to worry about getting your name in front of the selection board within X months or you'll miss the next class. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but there's no more classes this year (unless money magically appears in the budget, but I wouldn't expect it). Even if that changes, I understand a number of people have already been selected (as I've been told in some PMs and from some file managers) for the next class (whenever that actually occurs) so anyone not yet selected is probably looking ahead to the 2nd class to run once classes start again.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:47 am

Definitely no sense in trying to rush the process, especially if you are near the start. I'm currently going on to my third month of waiting for selection. I've had two cancel last minute, and am now over a year into the process. Hang tight, it's a long haul, but will hopefully be one that's worth it for us all in the end.

kpete848
Rookie Member

Postby kpete848 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:38 pm

ReadySetGo wrote:Definitely no sense in trying to rush the process, especially if you are near the start. I'm currently going on to my third month of waiting for selection. I've had two cancel last minute, and am now over a year into the process. Hang tight, it's a long haul, but will hopefully be one that's worth it for us all in the end.

Its a long haul I know and all you want to do is hear something but take this time to do things to get your mind off of it (I know its impossible). Go travel is my biggest advice, because once your in if you have any plans for big trips you can forget those for years because your first 7 months is training and from there you won't get approved for long vacations for a LONG time.

What I learned for this process is that it is much like the job it self, this is a hurry up and wait situation and I can let everyone know that once your in this type of mentality continues.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:06 pm

kpete848 wrote:
ReadySetGo wrote:Definitely no sense in trying to rush the process, especially if you are near the start. I'm currently going on to my third month of waiting for selection. I've had two cancel last minute, and am now over a year into the process. Hang tight, it's a long haul, but will hopefully be one that's worth it for us all in the end.

Its a long haul I know and all you want to do is hear something but take this time to do things to get your mind off of it (I know its impossible). Go travel is my biggest advice, because once your in if you have any plans for big trips you can forget those for years because your first 7 months is training and from there you won't get approved for long vacations for a LONG time.

What I learned for this process is that it is much like the job it self, this is a hurry up and wait situation and I can let everyone know that once your in this type of mentality continues.

Travelling is a great idea for sure. For me, I was fortunate enough to continue some education and travel a bit as well. If i've learned anything from the process, its that it doesn't matter how fast you get things completed, because ultimately it won't make a difference as to when you are hired if you are successful in the process at all.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:58 pm

What do the early stages of the application process look like right now? Are they still moving along normally or stalled out like the rest of us?

TobiasReiper
Rookie Member

Postby TobiasReiper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:24 am

Sad to say that I have received a 3yr deferral.Affter successfully completing the poly I was given the news. I'm very disappointed as I have been preparing many years for this process.
On the bright side, I now have ~1000 days to become the most prepared applicant they have seen. Onward
Submit App - March '16
ACT/APCAT - Complete May '16
A-PREP - Complete June '16
PDF interview - Complete July '16
BDI panel -
Psych -
Polygraph -
Background -

AltaGuy
Rookie Member

Postby AltaGuy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:27 pm

CPS is currently in a hiring freeze for the unforeseeable future.

Not sure what will happen with guys already in the process.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 pm

AltaGuy wrote:CPS is currently in a hiring freeze for the unforeseeable future.

Not sure what will happen with guys already in the process.

Yeah, my file was supposed to go to selection back in April, then again in May. Now waiting for September selection, and not entirely sure if it will take place.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:10 pm

scheduled for PDI in August

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 pm

GeeGee wrote:scheduled for PDI in August

Well done and good luck! Glad to hear someone is moving forward.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:16 am

ReadySetGo wrote:
GeeGee wrote:scheduled for PDI in August

Well done and good luck! Glad to hear someone is moving forward.

Thank you.
Very excited. Somewhat nervous. Got some additions to my disclosure...mind played tricks and old memories popped up lol. Also moving along with EPS and very excited about that too. Both great agencies and would be honored to represent either one to the fullest.
Any news on your end?
I am somewhat concerned with the Calgary budget :(
But reading the globalnews today...cant see the recruiting being frozen for too long

tacks
Rookie Member

Postby tacks » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 am

Hi All,

It's good to read and see how the process is going for everyone - it's a long process and requires a lot of patience but do your best to make use of the time you may have to better your package (volunteer, get a applicable job, etc...) to show yourself as a well-rounded and self-motivated applicant you are. The process is even more competitive in the slow times.

For those of you who land up being successful in the application process or have been selected for the upcoming classes and are from out of town or are looking for a new place to live during recruit classes, I have an opportunity for you.

I am a member with CPS and I too was an out of town applicant and was in the position of not having a place to stay when I arrived in Calgary for classes. I know many classmates of mine landed up signing year-long (or multi-year) rental agreements in classes without knowing what District they were going to be posted in after classes finished.

I now live in Airdrie, just north of Calgary and a short 15-20 minute drive from Westwinds where recruit training takes place. I have a massive 1000 sq ft basement for very reasonable rent per month for CPS recruits. My purpose in doing this is to help you out during classes, as the whole process of starting your policing career is stressful enough and I know exactly what its like. This opportunity gives you flexibility prior to being placed in a district and you also can get the added support of a current CPS member as you train through to becoming a sworn member.

If this is something you are interested in, please PM me so we can talk and get you setup if this works for you. Im willing to answer any other questions you may have (as much as I'm allowed to clarify). All the best.

Tacks