Blackberry Playbook

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Re: Blackberry Playbook

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:30 pm

MC07 wrote:Just looking at the case now it doesn't look like that jack will fit with the case closed or even with the PB propped up. I do agree it is a bit of a problem but not a big deal.

You're right, its no big deal. It just would be nice. To me it tends to be the little things like this where many products fall in the just less than perfect category.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:The only thing thus far I am not happy about is that you must either remove the Playbook to charge it or leave the case open due to the placement of the usb port and the shape of the cable. :cry: Now what would be nice is if they created a magnetic cord (ya like Apple :roll: ) and it had a right-angled connector so that you could close the case while the Playbook is charging.

Can't you put the Playbook in upside down? The screen will automatically flip, and your charging port will be on top!

No because the case's holder for the tablet is custom fitted with holds at the bottom for ports and tabs on top to match the buttons.

Ahh. Damn.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I will have to do some research and experimenting to see what works.

Here is a picture of the issue at hand.

This picture shows the location of the port cut outs in the Playbook's holder.

At some point I'll get my hands on a rapid charger with magnetic and angled connector.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Interesting video of Playbook use in policing. Not totally new concept but yet another thumbs up for the Playbook and RIM.

Sussex (UK) Police Department Saves Time Using The BlackBerry PlayBook

http://nerdberry.net/2012/12/22/sussex- ... -playbook/
-Mahatma Gandhi

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:21 pm

And with BB10 launching at the end of January, we should be seeing BB10 for Playbook released soon after

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:18 pm

After reading and watching the information on the coppers using the BB Playbook it looks like a way to reduce down-time with respect to paper work. I particularly liked the statement aspect.
-Mahatma Gandhi

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:52 pm

Well, for one reason or another, Blackberry sent me a brand new Playbook. Nice.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm

meathead1 wrote:Well, for one reason or another, Blackberry sent me a brand new Playbook. Nice.

....can't argue with that..... ;)
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 pm

http://crackberry.com/french-firefighte ... y-solution

French firefighters making the most of the BlackBerry solution

As well as a specially designed application for their use it is also interesting to see them making the most of possibly one of the main reasons we use BlackBerry - BBM. The fire department uses BBM to contact staff - both for on duty members and for re-calling off duty firefighters. And it makes perfect sense to me rather than relying of phone calls or pagers. As well as BBM messages being delivered pretty much instantly, most of the time, the fact that fire management can see when a message has been delivered and read is more than likely a big benefit to them. .........

So Blackberry devices/services are alive and doing well in Europe. UK coppers are using BB's as we have read. The Blackberry solutions seems to be a less expensive answer to higher priced radio linked systems for communicating, data sharing and maps.
-Mahatma Gandhi

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 pm

meathead1 wrote:Well, for one reason or another, Blackberry sent me a brand new Playbook. Nice.

Probably have a lot laying around they can't sell... Ask nicely maybe they'll send you a spare. :mrgreen:

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Was confirmed by BlackBerry today that BB10 is NOT coming to Playbook.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:54 pm

meathead1 wrote:Was confirmed by BlackBerry today that BB10 is NOT coming to Playbook.

Yep, dissapointing, but they did say they will continue to support/upgrade the software it has. Unfortunately, they also said they will not be making another tablet, which is too bad, because the PB is a good device in my opinion.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:04 pm

I think they are great, I just wish Blackberry felt the same way about them. I don't use mine as frequently now that I have a Z10, but my oldest daughter still uses it a lot. I have a lot of movies loaded onto it, and I take it to work with me all the time in case I get stuck at a road closure and need to burn a few hours.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 pm

meathead1 wrote:I think they are great, I just wish Blackberry felt the same way about them. I don't use mine as frequently now that I have a Z10, but my oldest daughter still uses it a lot. I have a lot of movies loaded onto it, and I take it to work with me all the time in case I get stuck at a road closure and need to burn a few hours.

That's exactly what its good for! No data plan needed, tether it up to your BB and you can surf the net all night.

K-B

Postby K-B » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:33 pm

I have the Playbook and the iPad and the Playbook has its perks but the iPad has by far a better platform. The resolution for watching movie / shows on it is excellent and I kind of gave up on the Playbook. I will not just yet give up my black berry. It is still far better than anything else I have ever used.