SLR Digital camera purchasing

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.
Molson
Rookie Member

Re: SLR Digital camera purchasing

Postby Molson » Mon May 09, 2011 9:02 am

I'd get the T3i over the XS.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Mon May 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Molson wrote:I'd get the T3i over the XS.

Ya that's what I was thinking. I might wait to see if it goes on sale.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am

I bought the Canon T3. On sale for 599

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Molson wrote:I'd be all over that, as its a great lens for real estate shots. Alas $2200 US (New) is a tad out of my range for the time being. Nice glass though!

I bought a Sigma 10-20mm (for APS-C sized sensors) f/3.5 and I love it. I got it 'used' (actually brand new) for $600. http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-EX- ... 859&sr=8-2

For wide angle lenses, keep in mind that if you have a sub-frame sized sensor in your camera (most do, except for the 5D and a couple others), the crop factor will affect your effective lens length. The ones like the Sigma that are meant for sub-frame sensors give you a true 10-20mm. Tons of fun.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 am

Now, I don't mean to hijack the thread here, and I realize that this question is "slightly" off topic, but can any of the self professed "photo geeks" on here recommend an inexpensive, very compact digicam that takes decent photos (other than a cell phone cam, not possible in my line of work)

I'm asking because I often have to take photos in the course of work for evidence, and it might be nice to have a small camera I can carry around easily to do so.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Your POE doesn't already have a digital camera? :ponder:

Anyway, you are looking at a very cramped market segment with lots of good offerings. I would personally recommend the Canon Powershot SD780 IS.
It is very compact (slightly smaller than a deck of cards) with no sharp edges or protrusions so it fits easily in a pants pocket. They are fairly inexpensive (they go for about 160 at your local electronics megastore). It meters very well, is solidly build, and is very quick from being off to being ready to take a picture. The image quality and low light performance is definitely not on par with a digital SLR, but is certainly good enough for your stated purposes.

That's my $0.02

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:50 pm

El Conejo wrote:Your POE doesn't already have a digital camera? :ponder:

We have two, but good luck finding either one at any given moment; they're constantly going missing and I'm having to hunt high and low just to find one. Then there's the issue of whether it has a memory card installed, whether it has batteries, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, it sounds like a good one!
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 pm

SierraSeven wrote:
No 20 Year Medal wrote:
RJB wrote:Get at me wolf!
WTF ???

Where do you find this shit? Image

You don't know about Donnie Dumphy? A guy from Newfoundland I was with on training pointed me in the direction of this legend. Have to watch a few of his videos. Here's a good intro.

His "singing" style reminds me of >>> THIS <<<
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 am

Where in God's Green Earth do you guys find this crap??? :crazy: :bow:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:52 am

SierraSeven wrote:
No 20 Year Medal wrote:
RJB wrote:Get at me wolf!
WTF ???

Where do you find this shit? Image

You don't know about Donnie Dumphy? A guy from Newfoundland I was with on training pointed me in the direction of this legend. Have to watch a few of his videos. Here's a good intro.

Epic.

Oh Newfies, the comic relief of Canada, we do so love you and your Newfie ways.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Well said!!