Help an Abbotsford Police member win his fight with cancer

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
CrossfitCop
Rookie Member

Help an Abbotsford Police member win his fight with cancer

Postby CrossfitCop » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Abby PD members have struck a challenge coin to sell in support of our brother Ryan Masales.

This collector coin is part of a fundraising initiative in support of Cst. Ryan “Chopper” Masales of the Abbotsford Police Department who has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Brain Cancer.

Background:
On August 26, 2016, Ryan suffered a seizure while at work. He was rushed to Vancouver General Hospital where a subsequent scan revealed a tumor in the left-lower quadrant of his brain. Surgeons were able to safety remove 95% of his tumor. A biopsy of the tumor revealed the devastating news that Ryan has Glioblastoma Multiforme: Stage 4, Terminal Brain Cancer.

Treatment:
Ryan is currently receiving standard chemotherapy and radiation treatment which has shown to be effective in slowing the growth of the cancer, however, this cancer is known to grow back aggressively and 5% of Ryan’s cancer remains untreated.
Alternative Treatment:
Ryan has a wife and son, and they are currently looking at an alternative treatment to extend his life:

“Immunotherapy” is a new treatment which has shown promise in prolonging a patients’ life with Glioblastoma’s. It is only available in the United States and can cost anywhere from $100,000 (USD) and up. We are hoping to raise as much money as we can to assist Ryan in obtaining this alternative treatment.

Chopper Coin:
Side One
• APD, VPD & CFSEU crests: Ryan began his career in policing with the Vancouver Police Department and later moved out to the Fraser Valley and joined the Abbotsford Police Department. At the time of his diagnosis he was seconded to CFSEU.
• Strength, Family, Reliability, Kindness: 4 of Choppers core values as identified by his wife, Estelize.
• Thin Blue Line: around the edge of the coin symbolic of the relationship of law enforcement in the community as the protectors.
Side Two
• Ryan’s name, nickname and image
• Ryan’s VPD and APD badge numbers
• Grey Ribbon which stands specifically for brain cancer
• “Fight Chopper” which has become the battle cry of Ryan’s supporters
• “That’s the Best” which is a favourite saying of Ryan’s

These coins are being sold for $20 each. I can't seem to post an image of them on here, but if you want to see it I can email it to you. Trust me when I say the coin is STUNNING.

If you would like to support Ryan by pre-ordering one of these coins please send APD Sergeant-Major Rick Stewart an email no later than April 10. I'm not willing to put his email address out there so please PM me if you are interested in ordering, and I'll flip it to Rick.

Thanks for considering this really worthy cause.