Samaritan First Response & Rescue Service

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Samaritan First Response & Rescue Service

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Mike Edgerton wrote:if anyone has some suggestions that may be feasible to our service that our senior personnel could discuss implementing.

Start by removing the illegal lights.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:28 pm

He was informed of all the liability concerns several years back on Blueline. Multiple times, by multiple people.
It's only a matter of time before a lawsuit or criminal charges arise.

Bottomline: Mike, I see that you're trying to help, but you're currently not qualified.

If your best intentions are to help people and learn about medical response, then you should:
1) take a paramedic or nursing course, and get hired by the local EMS, or a reputable private medical event coverage company
2) volunteer with a reputable, insured, and properly trained organization.

If you want information on the latter, send a PM.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 am

A.T.R. wrote:Go away.

Or come back when all of your members have taken all the levels of ITLS.

You still driving Moms car? We need it Friday night. Leave some of that gauze. It'll help with clean up.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 am

A.T.R. wrote:
A.T.R. wrote:Go away.

Or come back when all of your members have taken all the levels of ITLS.

You still driving Moms car? We need it Friday night. Leave some of that gauze. It'll help with clean up.

Ouch :mrgreen:

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am

Floydie wrote:...really? this again....?

It's like herpes, just keeps showing up over and over again .
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 am

Well. This gent is persistent and I think has a genuine interest in what he is doing. He has taken ridicule but keeps coming back.

Tell ya what OP. PM me an email address and we can chat. I can only offer advise based on orgs I've dealt with before.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 am

A.T.R. wrote:You still driving Moms car? We need it Friday night. Leave some of that gauze. It'll help with clean up.

did anyone ever figure out if she's hot??
CX-1 @ Millhaven

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:26 pm

You obviously don't know Peterborough...
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:32 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:You obviously don't know Peterborough...

:bow:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Postby Mike Edgerton » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:29 am

I don't know Peterborough?

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 am

No Mike, that reply was directed to Floydie (just some good-natured ribbing, perhaps I should have quoted him). I don't doubt that you know Peterborough well.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 pm

A few years ago Respond SAR managed to become affiliated with the City of Mississauga (I only remember parts of the conversation, since I was REALLY sick at the time... our liaison with the City poked her head in my car and said "hey, do you guys want some insurance?", and I was like "cough cough, sure"... and the rest is history!)... So any events that we deal with (under the direction of the City of Mississauga), we are covered by their insurance policy! So let's say you want to hold an event on or in City property, you need a permit, you call the City and if the City deems it necessary, they will require you to have a group to provide First Aid and Safety, some times Police too... In this case the City will provide the organizer with Respond's contact information, and we will arrange Members to cover the event. We have had many repeat events as a result, we love it, and the City loves that we're able to provide this service.

Since we have become affiliated with the City of Mississauga, I have put a stop to our weekly "Friday night patrols"... we no longer go out "chasing" accidents and assisting Police with road closures as we did for many many years... It's just too much of a liability now with this City affiliation, we don't want to risk anything bad happening to any of our Members. Sure, if a Member comes upon something, they can stop to assist just as any regular person would... okay, any regular person with a few extra flashing lights, because it's all about making the scene safe, right?

NOT ALL CITIES OFFER SUCH COVERAGE!

Mike has already contacted me asking about insurance and charitable status... I've explained to him that it might not be possible to get the same deal as we have with Mississauga in his City... And I've explained that there's a few hoops to jump through to get charitable status... With that said, IF an organization requests for his group to provide services at their event, then that organization SHOULD have insurance for the event that *should* cover his Members... For example, the Streetsville BIA has used Respond for several years for many events, and we are covered under their policy (this is different from a City of Mississauga event, so the City's insurance does not apply)... Same goes for any events we do outside of Mississauga, we are covered under the event's insurance policy.

As many have mentioned here and in the past (including myself)... It might be better to just bite the bullet and join an existing group that's already well established in the community.

I think that St. John Ambulance might not be the right fit for your guys... how about a SAR group??? Maybe one that's less than an hour away???

Respond SAR has become affiliated with OCEAP in Cobourg as their back up SAR Group... It's worth contacting them and seeing about becoming Members, then if you feel a need to create your own group IN THE FUTURE, you'll have some knowledge under your belt... But I honestly think that if you want to really help out in the community, this might be a great way of doing it... Again, keep in mind that as mentioned above, you might want to consider removing your lighting, that would likely be a condition of becoming a member of OCEAP too.

Here's their Web Site... http://www.oceap.ca/

Check them out, see what you think... and maybe we'll all be Volunteering together in the near future! :thumbsup:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Postby Mike Edgerton » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 pm

Hello everyone please view the link regarding our EMRD http://www.sfrrs.ca/apps/blog/entries/s ... of-service

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 am

This is worse than a clingy ex-girlfriend, just when you think she's finally gone ... :banghead:
:wave:

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 am

Well they got insurance....
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."