Ford warranties

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Ford warranties

Postby Bitterman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:03 pm

I can't complain about the service I've received through Ford.

My F1504x4 broke down out of town... It took two days to repair as they had to get parts from another city, but Ford covered my two nights at a Hyatt Hotel as well as my meals.

The dealership I use has always seemed "decent"... 'Never felt cheated or been con'd into expensive unnessary repairs/service.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Well, Saturday, when I was in the middle of nowhere (no cell phone service, -39 outside), my check engine light came on. Then my autonomous KMs started dropping 5 to 7 kms for every km I drove. At one point, I had to pass an 18 wheeler, and when I tried to, I hit the gas, the engine revved, did not shift until the RPM was in the red for way longer than usual. When it did try to shift, the tranny shuttered, grinded gears, and I lost all power to the wheels.

I slowed down, and took the rest of the drive VERY easy, but I now feel vibrations in the gas pedal and under my feet with regular driving. I finally did make it home without having to freeze my ass off hitch hiking. I can't wait to see what Ford will come up with for me this time around. 18,000km on the vehicle.

And I have a 2000km round trip booked for Tuesday morning to get to testing for a job I am applying for.

My rusted 2004 Elantra with 200,000km on it was more reliable than this brand new 2013 escape. Come to think of it, so was my wife's 2003 Grand-Am with 280,000km on the dial.
POLICE OFFICER

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:38 am

After speaking with the service dpt, I have to bring it into a dealership for them to look at it, but the guy told me that he had seen that problem before with the Ecoboost engines. The problem: not the vehicle, but the weather. It was too cold according to him, so the turbo went into protection mode, quit working, and tha would be why I lost power and the vehicle would no longer accelerate, and saved the OBD II code p0234.

But once again, this problem is not considered to be a safety issue, and I am to drive it 3 to 4 hours to the closest dealership.

Can Canada come up with a Lemon Law????
POLICE OFFICER

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:59 am

That there EcoBoost motor....

Its a new thing isn't it?

Never buy anything "new" technology-wise in an American vehicle.
Seems they rush stuff to market and let the consumer do the beta testing.
My F150 has a plain old 4.6 V8.... no issues
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 pm

polarbear wrote:After speaking with the service dpt, I have to bring it into a dealership for them to look at it, but the guy told me that he had seen that problem before with the Ecoboost engines. The problem: not the vehicle, but the weather. It was too cold according to him, so the turbo went into protection mode, quit working, and tha would be why I lost power and the vehicle would no longer accelerate, and saved the OBD II code p0234.

But once again, this problem is not considered to be a safety issue, and I am to drive it 3 to 4 hours to the closest dealership.

There are currently some lawsuits about similar issues with the Ecoboost engines, apparently.

HadzSays
Rookie Member

Postby HadzSays » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:46 pm

polarbear wrote:After speaking with the service dpt, I have to bring it into a dealership for them to look at it, but the guy told me that he had seen that problem before with the Ecoboost engines. The problem: not the vehicle, but the weather. It was too cold according to him, so the turbo went into protection mode, quit working, and tha would be why I lost power and the vehicle would no longer accelerate, and saved the OBD II code p0234.

Lmao. Wouldn't that be one of the first things they made sure the engine could endure? After all, this is Canada.
RCMP applicant from Quebec
08/20 - CP
12/09 - RPAB
06/11 - SP
10/16 - RMAQ

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Did a little procrastinating, er, research, and it seems like it could be related to condensation buildup/freezing in the intercooler in very cold weather. I would think it is a design flaw more than an "oh well, it's too cold" sort of thing. I had a Volvo 740 that would rarely start when it was colder than about -5ºC and even in southern Ontario that's not acceptable. Drove like a charm once it started, though.

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:11 pm

GoodWitness wrote:Did a little procrastinating, er, research, and it seems like it could be related to condensation buildup/freezing in the intercooler in very cold weather. I would think it is a design flaw more than an "oh well, it's too cold" sort of thing. I had a Volvo 740 that would rarely start when it was colder than about -5ºC and even in southern Ontario that's not acceptable. Drove like a charm once it started, though.

You nailed it. The 3.5L ecoboost in the pickup trucks seem to be the ones that are most prone to this. Originally, the "fix" was to bring in everyone for a reprogram. Then, some of the trucks out there started having their LH catalytic converters failing too so they added "replace the LH converter on affected models" to the overall fix. After that, they realized it still wasn't correcting the condensation buildup in the intercooler so they decided to make a deflector that blocked part of the airflow through the intercooler (less cooling - "hopefully" less condensation buildup). All the people who got the original fix now had to come back for the "real fix" and got a 5 dollar deflector installed on top of their intercooler that hung down in the front and blocked part of the airflow. There were still a pile of trucks that were plagued by the problem so they came up with a revised design of intercooler. Now, the fix was to install the revised intercooler and reprogram the truck (and replace the LH converter if affected). That STILL didn't fix the problem so engineering told us not to attempt repairs until they came out with another fix. Now, as of 6 or so months ago they came up with a different deflector that is basically a thick sticker that gets applied to the front of the intercooler fins that blocks the bottom 1/3rd of it. When installing this, you have to remove the old deflector off the top that was installed during previous "fixes". The peel-and-stick deflector also doesn't work with the trucks that got the revised intercoolers (those people are left in the shadows). They also came out with another reprogram to add insult to it all.

The problem is most prevalent in humid climates, and usually under load after a person has driven in a "steady state" for sometime. In other words, if you are driving in humid weather on the highway using cruise control for several minutes it will cause a buildup of condensation in the intercooler. When you accelerate to wide-open-throttle to pass someone this condensation will be sucked through the engine and cause temporary misfires/loss of power. It can get really dangerous if a person is passing another vehicle with limited time to make the pass. I've talked to customers that have had their truck bog down and lose all power in a situation like this forcing them to hammer on the brakes and pull back behind the vehicle they were passing with a near miss to avoid oncoming traffic.

I personally haven't had to investigate this issue with any cars using the 3.5L ecoboost (only the trucks), and I haven't had any cases of this with the cars and SUVs using the smaller ecoboost (2.0L/1.6Ls) so I can't come up with a conclusion over the internet of what is wrong with polarbears Escape. The P0234 is an overboost code. If his escape had misfire codes or if the mode 6 data showed history of misfires (the mode 6 data is a snapshot of the past performance of your engine) I could potentially buy the condensation theory with his engine. Overboost makes me think something is wrong with his turbo....could be a stuck wastegate actuator, or faulty controls to it - even an improperly reporting boost pressure sensor that could erroneously report high boost. With boost pressure, there is also increased fuel demand which would explain the increased fuel consumption and drastically decreasing mileage on polarbears display during the failure but that doesn't explain the vibration that polarbear felt in the floor so something must've let go. The turbo is on the backside of the engine at the bottom and would be close enough to transmit a vibration through the roll restrictor mount into the floor...?? One of my coworkers worked on an escape that had a seized turbo but that one was underboosting (and the seized turbine fins created an exhaust restriction that further hampered the engine perf).

Polarbear, please keep us updated on what your dealer finds. I'll start the drumroll.....

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Holy crap did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night or something?

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:18 am

Bitterman wrote:My F1504x4 broke down

SHOCKING!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

super_sonic
Rookie Member

Postby super_sonic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:21 pm

polarbear wrote:I bought a 2013 Ford Escape earlier this year and took the 200,000k bumper to bumper extended warranty as I do 200km of gravel road every wee to get to work.

Twice on my way in, my ABS system malfunctioned and the hill start assist was unavailable on it, with lights going off everywhere on the dash. The vehicle has about 9000 kms on it. Clips holding the moulding around the wheel well broke as well.

I dropped off my vehicle at a Ford dealership to have it checked, and I left for Florida afterwards. I got an e-mail from the rep saying the the work would not be covered under the warranty as the onboard computer indicated that either I was driving aggressively or on very rough roads. I explained to him that I did 200kms of gravel per week and that no where in my warranty contract does it state that I cannot drive on gravel.

He replied that Ford does not cover warranties for vehicles that have been "sideways".

WTF! I never hit anything, rolled the vehicle (like this guy seems to think I did), or driven the thing aggressively. And now he seems to be telling me that the warranty is void.

Any suggestions for when I get back from Disney with my family and pick up my vehicle? This issue seriouly put a damper on my holidays this week.....

That's why I don't dig all these fancy computers in these new cars. I know I sound like some whacky conspiracy theorist but how do you know they aren't tracking where you're going and what not, if they can tell that your car has been "sideways" or driven on rough roads. Speaking of rough roads, you drive an Escape - isn't that considered an SUV? Isn't that what they're made for?

I used to have a 96 Honda Civic and I held on to that thing as long as I could until scrapping it. It was just an engine with four wheels and a few chairs in it. Didn't have any of that fancy computer crap on it and I could do 70% of the work on it myself. The motor was still going strong but the gearbox was going to take a crap any day and the rest of the car was rusting out. I drove it into the scrap yard with 505,000 km on the odometer.

I drive a VW Golf now and I love it but it has a lot of electronics/computer stuff and I probably won't be able to do any of the work on it aside from basic maintenance.

Anyway, good luck with your truck man.
"Smooth seas don't make skilled sailors"

- African Proverb

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Ford, or any manufacturer, can tell because of the sensors and the information that is stored in the computer on the vehicle. It's got nothing to do with your vehicle being bugged with a GPS that sends information to them about where you've been. :roll:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:13 am

Stinger wrote:
Bitterman wrote:My F1504x4 broke down

SHOCKING!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Well... what actually happened was...
About a year before I was hit broadside by a hyundi suv.
truck was repaired... mostly just sheet metal damage to the box
Turned out that when my rear tire tore off the front end of the hyundi my axle got bent a little. So little that it went unnoticed by the shop that fixed the truck.
Fast fwd a year of driving with this bent axle and.... on an interstate in Illinois the axle.... broke. Wore out.
So technically.... I dont think it should have been covered under warranty. ... but... they did.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 am

mack_silent wrote:I have a Ford.
I like the vehicle itself, but Fords' service departments / sales departments / and head office customer service levels are terrible.

Ford has shown me consistently that they are:
-dishonest (telling lies about non existent repairs needed),
-overcharging (charging for warranty covered repairs / repairs on items that aren't broken),
-slow / long wait times (1.5 hours - 6 hours wait time for an oil change with appointment), and
-generally do not care about their customers (head office does nothing to assist/acts overtly rude on the phone).

Needless to say I won't be buying another Ford.
I won't be recommending Ford to any Family or Friends.
It's astonishing to see Fords' customer "satisfaction" ratings... when the general mood around a Ford service desk / waiting room is dismal.

:stupid:

Funny to see this thread because I just got screwed out of a warranty repair last week by Ford.

My car has the 5yr/100k powertrain, 3yr/60k bumper to bumper.

I have been doing tons of miles this year (120k round trip commute) so I can easily put on a few thousand km a month.

Back in September I was in for an oil change at 54k. Brought up a couple issues (SYNC sometimes doesn't work, a piece of plastic trim fell off the wiper). They say no problem, under warranty, but we need to order parts. We will call you when the parts come in. The note on the invoice says "Covered by warranty. Part on order. Job put on hold."

Fine, no problem. I'll wait for the call. So I do... a few weeks go by, no call. But the car is back at the dealer again in November (just over 60k) for snow tires and they don't mention parts. Oh well, must be a big backorder or something. They aren't major parts that effect the safety or performance of the car, I am in no rush.

Finally in early/mid-December I get a automated call saying parts are in and to call them. Great. But I am out of town for most of December (car sitting at home) so I set it up for the first week I am back. Then I bring it in and they ask the mileage. 63k

"Oh, sorry, its out of warranty now, and that repair is $500 for the SYNC, and we even want the $7 for the piece of trim that fell off."

So all the complaints later (to manager and to Ford corporate), they finally agree to "help me out" by lowering the cost to "only $250". And it is my fault for not badgering them every day calling to see if the parts were in.

Ford :crazy: . I guess I am supposed to park the car and buy a new one when the parts don't come in before 60k. One of them said "well, if we do the repair for you, we will have to do repairs for everyone that comes in after warranty". I don't know how many times I have to tell them I CAME IN BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRED, it was their parts/communication screwup that pushed me past 60k waiting for some part.

This is the stuff everyone warned me about Ford before I bought it. I will drive it around with SYNC that doesn't work right (it sucks anyway) before I pay them 1 penny to repair something that broke under warranty which I brought in under warranty.

Never had these kind of problems when I owned Honda (then again, Honda and "warranty repair" don't even belong in the same sentence).

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 am

That's a major pain. We leave work orders open until the customer comes back so it doesn't matter what the mileage is when they return. The only thing is we can't leave work orders open past 90 days if I remember correctly, but you returning within that time for other work and them not doing anything about the outstanding issues should've really made the issue their fault. It's the service advisors role to make sure there are no outstanding work orders for your vehicle (same with a recall check as well).

What's your sync doing? What year/model of vehicle? If it's just a software update (which 99% of the time it is) I can't believe they wanted 500 dollars considering the TSB that mentions the update quotes a time of 0.3 hrs to do the work....

Since it was so close to warranty expiry, and because of the fact that you were initially in before the warranty was up, you could contact your dealer again and see if they can push it through "AWA". (after warranty approval). I've replaced engines, transmissions, and other major parts through AWA before that have failed just after warranty expiry. They might not even bat an eye at approving your issues. That way you can get your money back. It's an extra 10 minutes of work for that service manager so hopefully he's not a lazy tool.