Ford warranties

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: Ford warranties

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Took my wife's CR-V to the dealership yesterday, it started making a weird knocking noise in the rear, sounded a lot like a bad u-joint. Also mentioned that they could do an oil change while it's in there, and oh, the AC clutch isn't engaging (had it serviced in September).

Picked it up after work; no reason found for the noise, but it could have been ice from the up and down temps this week; oil life is still at 70%, so wait for the indicator to come on, or get one in July, whichever comes first. And the AC clutch had a bad relay, fixed it under warranty. This is on a 2007.

We've driven Hondas since 1986 and will probably continue.

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:06 am

polarbear wrote:Nope, since when passing an 18-wheeler on a two-lane non divided highway, my eco-boost failed and I was left in the middle of nowhere with my gas guage dwindling as I drove (went through a full tank of gas in 230kms). Nearly got into. a head-on collision because of the issue. Turbo over boost condition.

Dealership told me that ot was too cold out at the time for the eco-boost, and that in very cold weather I may experience this type of issue again.

I said fuck it, bit the bullet and told them to take their piece of shit back. I drove off with a 2013 f-150 5.0L V8. I have had issues with it since (front speakers and heater system), but nothing safety related like the Escape.

Within the space of a week the heater on my f-150 and on my fiesta both took craps due to water seeping inside the heater motor and the heat regulator flaps.

Fuck my life. Ford should pay me to test out their vehicles.

That's brutal! Well, the heater problem for the fiesta involves installing an updated screen underneath the cowl at the base of the windshield to prevent snow from getting in. Unfortunately the screen is such a pile of crap that you might have to have a few of them ordered for your car since a couple of them will break on installation (seriously). The screen is such a piece of crap that they had to make a video to show people how to install them without breaking them. Even if you follow the video I'd say you have a 80% chance of breaking the stupid thing. We even have them arrive broken during shipping. The F150 problem - they are working on a fix. I heard they are going to change the programming of the HVAC module so the fresh air door will close when you turn the key off and seal the heater box off from getting water/snow in it but that's up in the air and who knows how long that will take. None of the earlier years had this issue so I don't see why they had to screw up something that was working for them. You are going to love this part - in the meantime they told us to tell customers to brush snow off your truck starting at the passenger side and drawing the snow towards the drivers side....basically away from the passenger cowl area to help prevent the problem. At one point a couple years ago I was told by a guy at Ford that they design these trucks for Texas because that is their biggest market. I was told they sell more trucks in Texas than in all of Canada combined each year.....so that shows you where their priority is, and why there are so many cold weather problems that seem virtually un-tested. It's no different with the other manufacturers. It's getting really frustrating to see this happening to people. It's like a lot of these new vehicles are nothing more than beta-testing versions. For most people, a vehicle is the second largest single expense they will make in their life (an education is cheaper!!!) and here they are getting screwed over by these stupid problems that should've been caught if engineers were actually worth the oxygen they are using up. To read about you almost not making the pass on the highway with the Escape - that is truly sad!!! What's even more sad is the newest version of Escape has a recall list that is thicker than a hand-written bible - they just made another recall for fire risk in Escapes yet we are still supposed to tell customers that it is still safe to park them in your garage! I just overhauled a transmission in an Escape a while back that had 7900 km on it. Not only did it have a blown transmission at 7900 km, but it also had a coolant leak and axle seal leak from the PTU ("transfer case"). Multiple issues and not even at the first oil change!

In the past few years Ford has been the media darling with the new gizmos and features they have come up with. It makes me mad because I see them come up with this stuff and then it becomes obvious in the coming years that they are designing this stuff without having the reliability to back it up. Meanwhile the other companies can just reverse engineer it (while designing it better) and the other guys are the ones who are going to come out further ahead in the end. The technology with these vehicles is changing so quickly its hard to keep up. On another note, to keep their bottom line healthy they keep cutting down the times that they pay the technicians so the senior guys are jumping ship everywhere which makes things even worse on the service side.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 am

Gearhead77 wrote:
polarbear wrote:Nope, since when passing an 18-wheeler on a two-lane non divided highway, my eco-boost failed and I was left in the middle of nowhere with my gas guage dwindling as I drove (went through a full tank of gas in 230kms). Nearly got into. a head-on collision because of the issue. Turbo over boost condition.

Dealership told me that ot was too cold out at the time for the eco-boost, and that in very cold weather I may experience this type of issue again.

I said fuck it, bit the bullet and told them to take their piece of shit back. I drove off with a 2013 f-150 5.0L V8. I have had issues with it since (front speakers and heater system), but nothing safety related like the Escape.

Within the space of a week the heater on my f-150 and on my fiesta both took craps due to water seeping inside the heater motor and the heat regulator flaps.

Fuck my life. Ford should pay me to test out their vehicles.

That's brutal! Well, the heater problem for the fiesta involves installing an updated screen underneath the cowl at the base of the windshield to prevent snow from getting in. Unfortunately the screen is such a pile of crap that you might have to have a few of them ordered for your car since a couple of them will break on installation (seriously). The screen is such a piece of crap that they had to make a video to show people how to install them without breaking them. Even if you follow the video I'd say you have a 80% chance of breaking the stupid thing. We even have them arrive broken during shipping. The F150 problem - they are working on a fix. I heard they are going to change the programming of the HVAC module so the fresh air door will close when you turn the key off and seal the heater box off from getting water/snow in it but that's up in the air and who knows how long that will take. None of the earlier years had this issue so I don't see why they had to screw up something that was working for them. You are going to love this part - in the meantime they told us to tell customers to brush snow off your truck starting at the passenger side and drawing the snow towards the drivers side....basically away from the passenger cowl area to help prevent the problem. At one point a couple years ago I was told by a guy at Ford that they design these trucks for Texas because that is their biggest market. I was told they sell more trucks in Texas than in all of Canada combined each year.....so that shows you where their priority is, and why there are so many cold weather problems that seem virtually un-tested. It's no different with the other manufacturers. It's getting really frustrating to see this happening to people. It's like a lot of these new vehicles are nothing more than beta-testing versions. For most people, a vehicle is the second largest single expense they will make in their life (an education is cheaper!!!) and here they are getting screwed over by these stupid problems that should've been caught if engineers were actually worth the oxygen they are using up. To read about you almost not making the pass on the highway with the Escape - that is truly sad!!! What's even more sad is the newest version of Escape has a recall list that is thicker than a hand-written bible - they just made another recall for fire risk in Escapes yet we are still supposed to tell customers that it is still safe to park them in your garage! I just overhauled a transmission in an Escape a while back that had 7900 km on it. Not only did it have a blown transmission at 7900 km, but it also had a coolant leak and axle seal leak from the PTU ("transfer case"). Multiple issues and not even at the first oil change!

I am still waiting on the screen for the Fiesta. Ford replaced the whole fan motor as a temp fix for now.

As for the F-150, Ford had my mechanic disconnect the heat selector and jam the flap in the open "heat" position so that I would always have heat. Unfortunately, this means that in -10c weather, you may see me driving with my windows down or my fan turned off because the truck throws out too much heat, even with the fan at low. Again, this is a temporary fix until Ford comes out with a solution. This also means that once temps go steadily above 0, my mechanic will have to reconnect the heat selector for my cool air and A/C to work.
POLICE OFFICER

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Well, let's add another chapter to the Ford horror story!

My 2013 fiesta's tranny took a crap, and nearly stalls all of the time (it's an automatic). The dealership is refusing to loan me a car, and they are reprograming the transmission control module. Once that is done, they told me to drive it 500km, and to bring it back (because they know that reflashing the tcm will not fix the issue), so they can then swap out the tranny, and I can start over. Apparently Ford does not have a fix from what I heard for the 2013 fiesta transmissions slipping, bucking and nearly stalling.

Sigh!

Never again will I buy a Ford!
POLICE OFFICER

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 am

polarbear wrote:Well, let's add another chapter to the Ford horror story!

My 2013 fiesta's tranny took a crap, and nearly stalls all of the time (it's an automatic). The dealership is refusing to loan me a car, and they are reprograming the transmission control module. Once that is done, they told me to drive it 500km, and to bring it back (because they know that reflashing the tcm will not fix the issue), so they can then swap out the tranny, and I can start over. Apparently Ford does not have a fix from what I heard for the 2013 fiesta transmissions slipping, bucking and nearly stalling.

Sigh!

Never again will I buy a Ford!

There is a TSB that involves a reprogram and performing the adaptive learning procedure to re-learn the proper sweet spots with the clutch and then a road test while monitoring for improvement. A common issue is the input seals (2 of them) leaking which can potentially contaminate the clutch assembly and lead to issues. Not sure if you know this, but your automatic Fiesta is really a manual transmission that a computer shifts. There is no torque converter, but rather a dual clutch assembly similar to that of a manual transmission. If this is what you are dealing with......If the clutch assembly is not contaminated with trans fluid and slippage/shuddering is out of acceptable range, then the clutch is replaced. If the clutch assembly is oil contaminated, Ford actually makes you clean the clutch and try to re-use it. If it's still bad, then you have to take it all apart a second time and replace it (seriously).

I have heard of the actuator motors crapping out. One motor is for 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears while the other is for 2nd,4th, and 6th. They are interchangeable so if you have problems with one set of gears you can swap the actuators and see if the problem moves to the other set of gears. If not, then you can rule out the motors as the problem.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm

They called me back, and they are replacing both clutches, but without getting a loaner. I have to pick up the car and hope that it doesn't stall on me on the highway while the parts come in. Hydroloc fluid leaked on the clutch assembly and contaminated them. :roll:
POLICE OFFICER

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 pm

This thread pretty much sums up why I am a GM guy and not a Ford guy.

Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 am

polarbear wrote:They called me back, and they are replacing both clutches, but without getting a loaner. I have to pick up the car and hope that it doesn't stall on me on the highway while the parts come in. Hydroloc fluid leaked on the clutch assembly and contaminated them. :roll:

I'd like to say it is an isolated issue and you are the only one, but sadly it seems like every Fiesta goes through this at some point. Both of the clutches come in one single assembly. It's kind of a goofy design. There are 2 input shafts (a solid one that sits inside a hollow one). With that design comes 2 input shaft seals. It's usually the outer one that becomes the leaker. I cant tell you what changes there are with the seals other than the original ones are black, and the new ones are brown in color but everything else seems to be the same. It might be a different material composition but it's too hard to tell while sitting at a bench.

The good news is you will like the reprogram. Out of all the ones I have done, the owners have been very happy since the reprogram along with the new clutch assembly leaves the car operating better than when it was brand new with the shift quality. It'll make the car shift like it should've been this whole time.

Mr. Islander wrote:This thread pretty much sums up why I am a GM guy and not a Ford guy.

Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

If you think Ford is the only one with problems then I have some ocean-front property to sell you in Saskatchewan

CHEVROLET : cheap, hardly efficient. Virtually relies on luck every time

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon May 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:
polarbear wrote:I'd like to say it is an isolated issue...

If you think Ford is the only one with problems then I have some ocean-front property to sell you in Saskatchewan

Hey Gearhead77, if you were looking for a decent, reliable used car as a third vehicle, what would you look for? I'm hoping that I can get something for under $5000 that will be reliable transportation for a 20 yo home from university for the summer and his 17 year old sister year round. I'd also use it if it was more fuel-efficient than my Honda Ridgeline.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 am

Gearhead77 wrote:
polarbear wrote:They called me back, and they are replacing both clutches, but without getting a loaner. I have to pick up the car and hope that it doesn't stall on me on the highway while the parts come in. Hydroloc fluid leaked on the clutch assembly and contaminated them. :roll:

I'd like to say it is an isolated issue and you are the only one, but sadly it seems like every Fiesta goes through this at some point. Both of the clutches come in one single assembly. It's kind of a goofy design. There are 2 input shafts (a solid one that sits inside a hollow one). With that design comes 2 input shaft seals. It's usually the outer one that becomes the leaker. I cant tell you what changes there are with the seals other than the original ones are black, and the new ones are brown in color but everything else seems to be the same. It might be a different material composition but it's too hard to tell while sitting at a bench.

The good news is you will like the reprogram. Out of all the ones I have done, the owners have been very happy since the reprogram along with the new clutch assembly leaves the car operating better than when it was brand new with the shift quality. It'll make the car shift like it should've been this whole time.

Mr. Islander wrote:This thread pretty much sums up why I am a GM guy and not a Ford guy.

Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

Well, I am just waiting to get through the 500km TCM "reprogram" distance to bring my POS Fiesta back to the dealer. I can still hear and feel the clutch slip, and I nearly stalled when I stopped at a red light.

Once I get this issue finally fixed, then I will be fighting to get my front bumper and tow hooks replaced on my 2013 f-150 because they are rusting, and get the front grill replaced because the chrome is bubbling off of it.

I spoke with a person from the president's office, and she seemed satisfied that the dealerships were trying to resolve all of my issues. Nothing more from them. I feel like contacting the media if this shit keeps happenning.
POLICE OFFICER

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:

Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

Haha, nope GM is definitely not perfect. Look at how many recalls they're going through right now with that whole ignition failure thing. What, 10 people died or so now because of it? I don't even own a GM. Most of my family does except for me, I was going to purchase one but chose to go with an import instead.

And, not to get off track here, but the names "import" and "domestic" don't even apply anymore. Most "imports" are built in the US now anyways, and aren't even designed and/or engineered in the badge's country of origin anymore.

Chrysler is a perfect example. Since Fiat purchased them, all of their platforms are slowly (but surely) switching over to their European owner. Their new platforms rolling off the production lines have European bones with American skin. They utilize things like suspension and transmission, but slap on some 'American' style. (Dodge Dart is just an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, similar with the Cherokee, and 2015 200)

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:30 am

Mr. Islander wrote:
Gearhead77 wrote:

Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

Haha, nope GM is definitely not perfect. Look at how many recalls they're going through right now with that whole ignition failure thing. What, 10 people died or so now because of it? I don't even own a GM. Most of my family does except for me, I was going to purchase one but chose to go with an import instead.

And, not to get off track here, but the names "import" and "domestic" don't even apply anymore. Most "imports" are built in the US now anyways, and aren't even designed and/or engineered in the badge's country of origin anymore.

Chrysler is a perfect example. Since Fiat purchased them, all of their platforms are slowly (but surely) switching over to their European owner. Their new platforms rolling off the production lines have European bones with American skin. They utilize things like suspension and transmission, but slap on some 'American' style. (Dodge Dart is just an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, similar with the Cherokee, and 2015 200)

My 300 is pretty American/Canadian (maj of the parts, manufacture and labour is here in NA + Brampton plant) and the chargers we use at work ditto. Aaaand my jeep is also built in ohio etc etc. So yes, "Imports" and "Domestics" still have a meaning. Lets not forget the geo metro, swift, firefly, sprint.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 pm

I'd rather buy a car from a company that has at least invested a bit in Canada... Hyundai, Kia, Mazda etc have virtually 0 investment here other than a corporate office in the GTA. Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota all employ 1000s of Canadians in manufacturing.

That said it is only 1 factor in my buying... But those 5 companies above all have some pretty good models between them. I've only owned GM, Honda, and now Ford... 3 of my 6 cars built in Ontario, 3 in US.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Reviving an old post.... Work done on my 2013 fiesta so far:

New tie rods
One catalictic converter
Two new heater fans
Two sets of clutches and seals
Six transmission reprograms / resets
One new cv and boot
One screen added to avoid any snow infiltration into the heating system