Different Point Of View On A Bike

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
HwyBear

Re: Different Point Of View On A Bike

Postby HwyBear » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:49 pm

opp2 wrote:Be careful, no one looks for MC's.

Got that right!!!

See it all the time......vehicles pass me on the 2 lane highway and 4 lane highway.....however, this brings with it a piece of paper reminding the driver of the speed limit ;)
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:50 pm

HwyBear wrote:
opp2 wrote:Be careful, no one looks for MC's.

Got that right!!!

See it all the time......vehicles pass me on the 2 lane highway and 4 lane highway.....however, this brings with it a piece of paper reminding the driver of the speed limit ;)

Just upgraded my bike this week, been out all weekend :D

Beer Me !

inlimbo
Rookie Member

Postby inlimbo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:46 am

The worst, I mean, worrrrrsttt drivers, have to be the so called "soccer mom". Always running late, in a rush, on the cell phone, and talking(yelling) at the kids in the backseat.
In order of ineptness; "soccer moms", Old man with a hat, old lady(on a booster seat), "business person" (texting and reading), and Young female with young Male following very close behind. I think that, on average, young males are slightly more concerned with being tagged.
Two years ago, I noticed that I was getting passed, and cut off by a seemingly large number of "soccer moms", and decided to be a dork and keep a loose tally in my head for a few months.
As far as bad riders, the worst I have ever seen were in Victoria. I think that the 10+ months of riding weather might have lulled them into complacency/stupidity. The two worst accidents were the riders fault........for being stupid.
First one was, three riders speeding past two lanes of traffic, between adjacent vehicles, when the third rider got too close to a car and caught a peg it the wheel well. 40-50km faster than the car..........didn't make it. Pinball comes to mind.
Second was passing on the inside shoulder, hit some debris, speed wobble, somhow launched himself OFF the center divider and folded the bike in half.
I won't even talk about the tet-a-tet with a Semi. ugly..................

Maybe that's why my wife says that I can buy a bike................after I bump up my ins policy.
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm

[quote="inlimbo"]The worst, I mean, worrrrrsttt drivers, have to be the so called "soccer mom". Always running late, in a rush, on the cell phone, and talking(yelling) at the kids in the backseat.
In order of ineptness; "soccer moms", Old man with a hat, old lady(on a booster seat), "business person" (texting and reading), and Young female with young Male following very close behind. I think that, on average, young males are slightly more concerned with being tagged.
Two years ago, I noticed that I was getting passed, and cut off by a seemingly large number of "soccer moms", and decided to be a dork and keep a loose tally in my head for a few months.
As far as bad riders, the worst I have ever seen were in Victoria. I think that the 10+ months of riding weather might have lulled them into complacency/stupidity. The two worst accidents were the riders fault........for being stupid.
First one was, three riders speeding past two lanes of traffic, between adjacent vehicles, when the third rider got too close to a car and caught a peg it the wheel well. 40-50km faster than the car..........didn't make it. Pinball comes to mind.
Second was passing on the inside shoulder, hit some debris, speed wobble, somhow launched himself OFF the center divider and folded the bike in half.
I won't even talk about the tet-a-tet with a Semi. ugly..................

Maybe that's why my wife says that I can buy a bike................after I bump up my ins policy.[/quote]

Most of the time I have my Wife with me, she enjoys the bike too. Riding 2up is definitely a little more challeging in town/traffic, but no big deal on the hwy. We just go out & take it easy.
May every insecure, leaf blowing, branch/limb dropping load find a nice reminder tag, those & the idiots that toss cigarette butts & Timmies cups out the window.
Beer Me !

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:44 pm

During my recent travels in Michigan and Pensylvania both in a car and on a bike I was pleased to see what appeared to be state sponsored road side signage and billboards warning drivers of bikes... 'Friendly reminders to watch out for bikes 'cause.. "They're everyehere"

I hear the arguements against riding motorcycles often enough... My best buddy is a Paramedic and of course he has to tell me about how I'm gonna get maimed/killed...

'Might happen, but then again.... 'might not.

I think being a mature conscientious rider makes you a better driver.... You just become more aware of what's happening out there on the road.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 pm

my good friend was involved in a motorcycle accident last night about 3 minutes from my house.
He calls me right after he crashes, because he was expecting me so i rush over. By the time i got there ambulances were already there. When he asked why they came so quick i told him (what ive heard from several people in the industry) "you were a rider involved in a crash, they want to preserve the organs for donation"

he didnt like that.
Thanks for everyones help! See you at the ports.

inlimbo
Rookie Member

Postby inlimbo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 am

Snowman wrote: & the idiots that toss cigarette butts & Timmies cups out the window.

I've been nailed with Cig butts before and told the "moron what I thought as it bounced off of my windshield. Nothing beats the day that I had to pull over because I could smell something burning. Apparently, one such errant butt flew in my window and landed on my gym clothes in the back seat. I looked for that pick up truck to see if they could use a sweaty T-shirt with a burn hole in it. It seems as though he needed it even less than he needed the cig butt.
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

Busster
Rookie Member

Postby Busster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:20 am

You want to take a ride on the wild side, come to Kelowna..

Have to be the worst drivers here. ( myself not included )

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am

DVP is hells waiting room for riders

same with the big highway in calgary. people actually wartned my brother when he moved there not to ride there
Thanks for everyones help! See you at the ports.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:05 pm

VoodooSS wrote:DVP is hells waiting room for riders

same with the big highway in calgary. people actually wartned my brother when he moved there not to ride there

Depending on the time of day I like riding the DVP.....it is nice and cool just North of Bloor. When there is traffic (which is damn near always!!) it is a death trap!! i have crashed on it before (debris all over the road)
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Old thread revival, but finally got around to doing my M2 exit to M today. 5 years of riding with really no issues. Glad to have that part of it over with though. :thumbsup:
Beer Me !

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed May 28, 2014 8:10 am

No more stupid tests!

Enjoy the roads.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Toonces wrote:No more stupid tests!

Enjoy the roads.

Definitely going to get out more this year, it definitely is a bit of work and practice going through the M1,2,M process. Kind of enjoyed the M2 course at the start of it all, definitely recommended for any new rider.
Beer Me !

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Ive been riding around 10 years now, and have gone from Canada to Mexico, back and all the inbetween, if there is one piece of advice I can give new riders then this is it, "TREAT EVERY VEHICLE AS A THREAT THATS TRYING TO KILL YOU" If you treat them all that way it wil save your life. being on 2 wheels is all about situational awareness and defensive driving. Sometimes rocking the throttle will save your backside, more often then not its constant scanning of the vehicles around you and seeing what they are doing. The biggest thing I took from my safety course and I still do it was the SIPDE acrynom.
S-Scan
I-Indentify
P-Predict
D-Decide
E-Execute

Keep the shiny side up and if your in the Calgary area and have access to the private forums then PM me, always looking to meet other riders.
:pistols: Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit