2007-2008 NHL Season

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)

Which Canadian team will go the furthest this year?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:30 pm

Calgary
11%
Edmonton
6%
Montreal
3%
Ottawa
26%
Toronto
23%
Vancouver
31%

Total votes: 35

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

2007-2008 NHL Season

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:28 pm

All right, its July, and only 3 more months till the regular season!

Does anyone else think that teams are over-paying for free agents this year? Here is the list so far http://www4.sportsnet.ca/nhl_signings_2007/

6.25 Million/year for Ryan Smith?
7.36 Million/year for Scott Gomez?
7.05 Million/year for Chris Drury?

I think teams were willing to pay top dollar for free agent talent this year, but I think maybe some of these teams (like the Rangers and Philly) may have put all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

And how about the Oilers trading Lupul and Jason Smith just to get a mediocre puck-moving defenseman?

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:32 pm

I'm with OPPAux, I bleed blue and white. 8)

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Winnipeg Jets. ;)

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:10 pm

I actually considered putting the Jets in the poll but didn't want to embarass anybody when they got more votes than the 'Nucks and Oilers. :P

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 am

Hey, you might have to start a new poll, we may have either Hamilton or Winnipeg up there for next season.

Or we could all just be dreaming.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:45 am

It's hard to be an Oiler fan these days.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:35 am

It's only hockey. Who cares?

IMHO the season should start in November and the Stanley Cup finals over by the end of March. :pistols:
"Semper in faecibus, sumus sole profundum variat"

Ricardo Tubbs
Rookie Member

Postby Ricardo Tubbs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:12 am

can't believe the SABRES let Drury AND Briere go....

Wings lost Bertuzzi, Schnieder and Lang but got Rafalski....

Buffalo and Hockeytown should be considered in your poll

AS THE TWO HONORARY CANADIAN TEAMS...

i'm gonna get a pile of responses here....might start a new thread

HWC
Rookie Member

Postby HWC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:49 am

I think it's hilarious how the poll has the Leafs to go the furthest!! Obviously there are a lot of Torontonians here, because the Leafs are NOT going to be the Canadian team to go the furthest!
The Leafs would only, realistically, win a poll that's for the Canadian Team that is the most dearranged, and the biggest mess!

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:55 am

HWC wrote:I think it's hilarious how the poll has the Leafs to go the furthest!! Obviously there are a lot of Torontonians here, because the Leafs are NOT going to be the Canadian team to go the furthest!
The Leafs would only, realistically, win a poll that's for the Canadian Team that is the most dearranged, and the biggest mess!

Dam you HWC!! Dam you! :evil:

:P haha GO LEAFS GO! I personally think it went down hill when C. Joseph left for Detroit.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Bruce wrote:It's only hockey. Who cares?

IMHO the season should start in November and the Stanley Cup finals over by the end of March. :pistols:

And even a shorter season for that other sport of "squeaky, squeaky" (basketball) or better yet grease the floors and then it might be fun to watch as they crash and slide all over :D
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

HWC
Rookie Member

Postby HWC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:39 pm

michael15 wrote:
HWC wrote:I think it's hilarious how the poll has the Leafs to go the furthest!! Obviously there are a lot of Torontonians here, because the Leafs are NOT going to be the Canadian team to go the furthest!

Dam you HWC!! Dam you! :evil:

:P haha GO LEAFS GO! I personally think it went down hill when C. Joseph left for Detroit.

AH, Mike, all kidding aside, Toronto is a much better team with the signing of Blake, that's for damn sure! They're not better then Ottawa, Vancouver, and probably Calgary though.... and are at most equal to the Canadiens with the signing of Jason Blake.

HWC
Rookie Member

Postby HWC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:32 pm

OntarioFiveOh wrote:I'm a habs fan true and to the heart.....but Toronto being equal to Montreal with the signing of Blake?

I'd have taken Blake over Hamrlik and Smolinksi any day. They won't do anything to improve the team.

They should have signed a better d-man for less money than they're giving to Hamrlik. Offering him the same contract they offered Souray? Seriously, what's up with that?

Toronto signing Blake will put the team at least 10 points ahead of Montreal in the standings at the end of the year. Montreal should have used their money wisely and went after someone that can help beef up the team offensively without relying on special teams. It's what they need the most.

On another note.....anyone think Nylander's going to end up with Edmonton if the terms of that supposed contract were real?

Umm, Jason Blake is a good player, but he's not Sid the Kid! He's going to make the team better, but Toronto was not as talented as the Canadiens were last year in the first place. The Canadiens had some serious political problems in the dressing room, but they still have quite a bit of talent through their system, especially on the farm.

Let's not forget, altough the Habs didn't make the playoffs last year, they were at the very top of the East for the first half of the season and were 8-0 at one point in their last 10 games...They just screwed themselves too badly in January and February.

I say Montreal IS better then they were last year. Hamrlik and Smolinsky are not the cream of the crop, but they're better, in my mind, then Bonk and Souray. I'm not a fan of slow players, and Bonk is NOT a quick player at all, Smolinsky is better. About what you said on relying on their special teams, well that theory goes out the window with dumping "ONE SHOT SOURAY" who was a massive defensive liability (+/- minus 28 ), to a guy like Hamrlik, (yes I know, he has a lot of mileage on the odometre, but he'll move the puck well and balance things out in our own end... he was a total +60 over the last 3 seasons).

Toronto STILL has more question marks all around their system then we do... I'm pretty sure the Canadiens did a good job in making sure that they have a very bright future ahead of them!

In the end, you're right, Blake over Smolinski and Hamrlik any day, but we don't have Blake, we have Smolinski and Hamrlik... and I hate the Leafs enough to say Screw them and Go Habs Go!

VoteQuimby

Postby VoteQuimby » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:54 am

Man I am a Leafs fan but I don't see a lot to get excited about with J Blake. He had one good year, like a lot of NHLers these days. He was 27 before he broke into the league. Expect 25-30 goals max of of him this year. He is not an elite player.
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns.