Canadian Coast Guard

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
ohmaii
Rookie Member

Canadian Coast Guard

Postby ohmaii » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Anybody ever considered a career with the Canadian Coast Guard as a Ship's Officer? I put an application in on a whim and I'm currently making my way through the hiring process. My end-goal is definitely with policing, so I have a lot of reservations with the CCG as it's not law enforcement at all. The only benefit I can see if I do end up getting an offer, is that it helps to further my education and I get my foot in the door as a federal public service employee. On the downside, it's a minimum 6 year commitment (4 years in school and 2 years service).

Anybody have any insight or thoughts about the CCG?

Longarm9
King Poobah

Re: Canadian Coast Guard

Postby Longarm9 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:01 am

ohmaii wrote:Anybody ever considered a career with the Canadian Coast Guard as a Ship's Officer? I put an application in on a whim and I'm currently making my way through the hiring process. My end-goal is definitely with policing, so I have a lot of reservations with the CCG as it's not law enforcement at all. The only benefit I can see if I do end up getting an offer, is that it helps to further my education and I get my foot in the door as a federal public service employee. On the downside, it's a minimum 6 year commitment (4 years in school and 2 years service).

Anybody have any insight or thoughts about the CCG?

I could probably find out anything you want to know. I have 2 relatives who are/were long standing members (one is retired now) of the Coast Guard and one of our officers is a former Coast Guard member.

Once in a while they may do joint ops with RCMP or other LE agencies, but they are all about maritime safety and search and rescue and are not LE at all. Must be something appealing because the one who's retired was in the full 35+ years or so and the other has been in at least 20 years I believe.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

CBK
Veteran Member

Postby CBK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:55 am

If nothing else it would give you a fairly unique skill set that I'm sure most LEO's don't have should you choose to head down that road at a later date. Not saying there is a big need for that skill set (or maybe there is somewhere, there are marine units in various agencies) but you'd sure stand out!! :thumbsup:

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:I say this with total respect for all they do for safety and search and rescue( I have worked with the Coast Guard in our area), but that I refer to them as the firefighters of the water. ;)

They know how to BBQ/cook etc. :D

Irish, that's awesome! What did you guys do with the Coast Guard (if you're able to tell us and not kill us after :P )?
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

ohmaii
Rookie Member

Postby ohmaii » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:31 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:I say this with total respect for all they do for safety and search and rescue( I have worked with the Coast Guard in our area), but that I refer to them as the firefighters of the water. ;)

They know how to BBQ/cook etc. :D

Firefighters, land or water, are pretty bad ass!

Longarm9 wrote:I could probably find out anything you want to know. I have 2 relatives who are/were long standing members (one is retired now) of the Coast Guard and one of our officers is a former Coast Guard member.

Once in a while they may do joint ops with RCMP or other LE agencies, but they are all about maritime safety and search and rescue and are not LE at all. Must be something appealing because the one who's retired was in the full 35+ years or so and the other has been in at least 20 years I believe.

Thanks for the offer Longarm9, but I decided to withdraw myself from the hiring process with the CCG - 6 years developing myself in an unrelated environment, that may or may not benefit my pursuit of a LE career, seemed too impractical.

Maximum_Mu
Grand Poobah

Postby Maximum_Mu » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:26 pm

One thing I've learned about the force in my 26 years, the more options in your back pocket when it comes to dealing with staffing, the better. Graduating from CCGC with a master or 350t ticket in your resume is huge. We have 4 patrol boats on the west coast and 1 east, although I would not enjoy a full 25 + years on board, they are always looking for qualified experienced mariners for 3-5 year stints.

Policing is a career where things go wrong when you do everything right, and the force will kick you to the curb without blinking, a degree from CCGC is huge , and easily relied upon years after graduation.........any dummy can be a cop, they hired me ;)

kungfucious0_0
Rookie Member

Postby kungfucious0_0 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:52 am

Dammm.... only 7 posts on this thread. And most recent was from the beforetimes... (drats, snap fingers)
Pacific Region

Urban
Veteran Member

Postby Urban » Sun May 15, 2022 2:13 pm

kungfucious0_0 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:52 am
Dammm.... only 7 posts on this thread. And most recent was from the beforetimes... (drats, snap fingers)
Yeah, I notice the forum is getting quieter these days.