Six Canadian Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan

A forum for those who wish to speak of fellow officers who have died on or off duty.
Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Six Canadian Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Bad day for Canada:

Canadian soldiers killed
TheStar.com - World - 6 Canadian soldiers killed

July 04, 2007
Richard Brennan
Allan Woods
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA - Six Canadian soldiers and their interpreter were killed today by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan's volatile Kandahar province.

Brig.-Gen. Tim Grant said the soldiers were killed as they were returning to a forward operating base in the Panjwaii district west of Kandahar city.

Grant said the explosion happened on a gravel road “that we have travelled regularly in the past month.”

Grant is the top commander of the Canadian contingent in Afghanistan.

The names of the dead have not been released as the military is still notifying their next of kin. The soldiers were due to end their tour of duty in Afghanistan at the end of this month.

Twenty-two soldiers have now been killed on this rotation alone; by this time last year, only eight had died. Altogether, 66 Canadian soldiers have now lost their lives in Afghanistan since 2002, along with one diplomat.

The latest deaths occurred in an area the Canadian military has been using as an example of their mission’s achievements in Afghanistan.

The Taliban were thought to have largely left, and several reconstruction projects are under way.

But three other soldiers were killed there on June 20 by an improvised explosive device.

Today's blast is the deadliest involving Canadians since Easter Sunday, April 8, when another devastating roadside-bomb explosion killed six Canadian soldiers in what was then the worst single-day toll for the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

The latest deaths came as the current rotation of Canadian soldiers are entering their last month of their tour in Afghanistan.

The military is paving the way for the next battle group due to arrive in August — about 2,000 soldiers of the Royal 22nd Regiment, known as the Van Doos, from Valcartier, Que.

Meanwhile, NDP Leader Jack Layton told a news conference today that Canada should pull its troops out of Afghanistan before more lives are lost in a war he says can't be won.

"What they are being asked to do now is participate in a mission that has no prospect of military success,” Layton said.

“It will simply escalate and prolong itself until we realize that it is not going to accomplish its goals.”

The latest attack was the deadliest against foreign troops in Afghanistan since May 13, when seven military personnel were killed — five Americans, a Canadian and a Briton.

The Chinook helicopter they were riding in crashed in Helmand province, and officials at the time said it appeared a rocket-propelled grenade may have brought it down.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:47 pm

I love how Jack knows so much about this war. As someone who has been to the country several times, including the first rotation over I can assure anyone without a doubt that we are making a difference.

Rest easy troops, mission over. RIP

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:08 pm

RIP.

Those cowards and their bombs. Oooh boy. All the things I wish I could write...
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:54 pm

Z# wrote:RIP.

Those cowards and their bombs. Oooh boy. All the things I wish I could write...
I've said things before about, can't remember where, but it didn't end well. Let's just say I wish those guys had to follow the rules that our guys do.

RIP, I owe so much to our men and women in the military. My troop support magnet is going on the work vehicle tomorrow. Living in Edmonton, and seeing the military members of a daily basis, really makes me appreciate what they honestly do for all of us.

CBSEh
Rookie Member

Postby CBSEh » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:09 am

Salute to our fallen comrades...

-To whoever stole my Cadpat Support the Troops Ribbon at Ashbridges Bay today....display it with pride!!!!!!!!!

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:14 am

Unfortunately some people steal them because they don't agree with the "Support the troops" sentiment and just throw them out.

crabby
Veteran Member

Postby crabby » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:52 am

Thanks, good fight,

RIP brothers...
"The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or dog?"

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:27 am

Couldn't believe it when I heard it.

RIP

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:46 am

May they never be forgotten...

RIP

rockenryan
Rookie Member

Postby rockenryan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:53 am

Our hearts go out to there families and friends.

RIP brave ones.

Reading the details of the article the vehicle was designed to take two bombs at the same time they believe this was a triple bomb stacked that is from Iran article said these starting showing up in the last two months. I wonder if this is going to start more problems given the issues that are starting with Iran and there nuclear program.

Chuk750

Postby Chuk750 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:59 pm

RIP Brothers

:cry:

My prayers are with their loved ones and everone serving.

Sad, sad day.

:cry:
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 pm

This hit me a little harder than expected. I knew 4 of the 6.
Recon, I hope you guys in Edmonton are alright. We lost some good troops.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:49 pm

Yeah, some really sad stories. Colin Bason deployed four days after his daughter was born.

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:57 am

Double :thumbsup:
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde