BC Corrections Hiring Process

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Roscojames
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:01 am
Contact:

Is saying you have a history of Anxiety or depression a disqualification for BC Corrections?

Postby Roscojames » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:26 am

Hey all,
I recently just filled out my BC corrections personal healthy history form. On this form it asks a lot about personal health & requires you to check off and briefly explain if you ever got treated for things such as anxiety, depression or other mental illnesses, etc. I have a history of very mild anxiety and am on medication for it and submitted that but now am thinking maybe that could be a turn off for them. Are they able to disqualify somebody from the hiring process for having anxiety?

User avatar
noanykey
Regular Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Is saying you have a history of Anxiety or depression a disqualification for BC Corrections?

Postby noanykey » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 am

The recruiters are outstanding people. Ask them. They answered every, tiny, question that I had. And whilst I got a deferred, I am so excited to re-apply and speak with them again.
Very important also, be honest and forthcoming, there is a fairly extensive medical at the very end of the process. The document I filled out asked me all sorts of questions.

Lastly, please post questions in the BC Corrections Hiring Process thread, quite a few serving officers post and can give insight to the job and what to expect! Also a great resource for new members interested in applying to BC Corrections and using the search feature.

Good luck!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

ygu31
Veteran Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby ygu31 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm

Roscojames wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 pm
Hey!
What do BC correctional or peace officers carry on them?
Do they have guns or tasers?
I am not a BC provincial CO, but a few new recruits joined us last year had BC CO background. From what they told me, BC provincial COs carry Baton and OC spay for outside escort duties (Medical escort, funeral escort, etc), which is the same as ON, AB and MB provincial corrections. But BC CO do NOT carry baton if they work inside the institution.

It should be noticed that 90% of the conflict during peace officer duty are dealt by utilizing effective communication skills or other forms of soft techniques, not by using force or using weapon. The point is to de-escalade the conflict/hostile situation without using forces or just using the MINIMUM NECESSARY amount of forces. Using force is technically the last option when all other options are not adequate to perform our duty.

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

Federal correction, so far, is the only correction jurisdiction issue duty firearm to peace officers during outside escort duty, which means more responsibility and liability on us. I personally prefer to perform medical/funeral escort without a firearm (unless escorting a “super-max” security level inmate), because I got used to do unarmed escort when I was at provincial. But if I am assigned an escort duty now, I will simply follow the guidance of standing order/Commissioner's Directive and carry the pistol.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

User avatar
Madeline236
Grand Poobah
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

If they told you that they told you wrong.

ygu31
Veteran Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby ygu31 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 am

Madeline236 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm
ygu31 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

If they told you that they told you wrong.
That story came from a SOM from duty office during our use of force refresh training upstairs at HCC, the trainer didn’t seem joking, as that was in front of ten audiences. And one CO who was taking training that day also stated that he remembered that one day they tried to use it and failed for a weird reason (approved by SMT).

Indeed, I kinda of agree with you because I also think whatever that SOM said didn’t make much sense to me either.

You can double check with that SOM, he is the only SOM at HCC who is the designated use of force refresh-trainer. (I don’t want mention his name in an open-to-all post, but you sure know who he is: the only SOM does use of refresh training).
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

User avatar
Madeline236
Grand Poobah
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:47 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 am
Madeline236 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm
ygu31 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

If they told you that they told you wrong.
That story came from a SOM from duty office during our use of force refresh training upstairs at HCC, the trainer didn’t seem joking, as that was in front of ten audiences. And one CO who was taking training that day also stated that he remembered that one day they tried to use it and failed for a weird reason (approved by SMT).

Indeed, I kinda of agree with you because I also think whatever that SOM said didn’t make much sense to me either.

You can double check with that SOM, he is the only SOM at HCC who is the designated use of force refresh-trainer. (I don’t want mention his name in an open-to-all post, but you sure know who he is: the only SOM does use of refresh training).
They don't have the one upstairs anymore but CERU still trains with it. If they train with it one would assume they are also able to use it.

Roscojames
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:01 am
Contact:

Bc Corrections comprehensive exam

Postby Roscojames » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:42 am

Hey everyone!
I was reading the applicant guide and saw after training Is complete, there’s a comprehensive exam that has to have 80% to pass.
Anyone know what to expect for this exam?

Sierra1993
Rookie Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Bc Corrections comprehensive exam

Postby Sierra1993 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Roscojames wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:42 am
Hey everyone!
I was reading the applicant guide and saw after training Is complete, there’s a comprehensive exam that has to have 80% to pass.
Anyone know what to expect for this exam?
I'm a former BC CO (Sheriff now) but the exam isn't anything to stress about. In fact, the BC Corrections training is very straight forward, I rarely ever heard of anybody actually failing the training due to the academic aspect.

Also it is true that BC Corrections has some of the best recruiters I've ever dealt with. When I initially applied back in 2018 the process was fast for me and the communication was great, it was always a positive experience and they are leagues ahead of some other agencies when it comes to recruitment (my opinion given my experiences) The first time I applied I failed their panel interview so don't let the failures make you lose hope, learn from them.

Good luck to anybody applying.

BluesClues
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: BC Corrections

Postby BluesClues » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 am

noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:34 pm
I got the same thing as OJ. But I asked for a shorter wait.

So, lesson here all applicants.. Be honest about everything on the initial SSQ document. I just remembered some stuff a few days of insane thinking about my CVSA and that's my story.. No matter how tiny or insignificant, just tell them. and just FYI I didn't fail my CVSA.. I passed it.

I asked if I should wait more than a year and they said a year wait is going to be ok.
Yes, being honest is something that is VERY important, you should never lie. But the one thing I can definitely say is that, for corrections, they look for consistency. That goes all the way back to the react test. Whatever you had wrote down on your SSQ initially, you should keep the same going into your ESS and CVSA, even if something came up and you remembered something right before ESS and CVSA. CONSISTENCY is key to this whole process.

BluesClues
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby BluesClues » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 am

ygu31 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm
Roscojames wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 pm
Hey!
What do BC correctional or peace officers carry on them?
Do they have guns or tasers?
I am not a BC provincial CO, but a few new recruits joined us last year had BC CO background. From what they told me, BC provincial COs carry Baton and OC spay for outside escort duties (Medical escort, funeral escort, etc), which is the same as ON, AB and MB provincial corrections. But BC CO do NOT carry baton if they work inside the institution.

It should be noticed that 90% of the conflict during peace officer duty are dealt by utilizing effective communication skills or other forms of soft techniques, not by using force or using weapon. The point is to de-escalade the conflict/hostile situation without using forces or just using the MINIMUM NECESSARY amount of forces. Using force is technically the last option when all other options are not adequate to perform our duty.

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

Federal correction, so far, is the only correction jurisdiction issue duty firearm to peace officers during outside escort duty, which means more responsibility and liability on us. I personally prefer to perform medical/funeral escort without a firearm (unless escorting a “super-max” security level inmate), because I got used to do unarmed escort when I was at provincial. But if I am assigned an escort duty now, I will simply follow the guidance of standing order/Commissioner's Directive and carry the pistol.
Who told you they don’t carry batons when working inside the institution? That’s completely false. We ALWAYS carry OC spray AND batons during outside escorts (medical escorts etc.). We carry OC spray at ALL TIMES when working inside the institution and batons as well, but that varys depending on what post you get for that day. For instance, when working living units, we aren’t obligated to carry a baton, just oc spray for safety reasons (inmates getting a hold of your baton is bad news), however, when we are a “prowler” or a “runner”, then we’re obligated to carry both OC spray and baton.

ygu31
Veteran Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby ygu31 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:16 am

BluesClues wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 am
ygu31 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm
Roscojames wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 pm
Hey!
What do BC correctional or peace officers carry on them?
Do they have guns or tasers?
I am not a BC provincial CO, but a few new recruits joined us last year had BC CO background. From what they told me, BC provincial COs carry Baton and OC spay for outside escort duties (Medical escort, funeral escort, etc), which is the same as ON, AB and MB provincial corrections. But BC CO do NOT carry baton if they work inside the institution.

It should be noticed that 90% of the conflict during peace officer duty are dealt by utilizing effective communication skills or other forms of soft techniques, not by using force or using weapon. The point is to de-escalade the conflict/hostile situation without using forces or just using the MINIMUM NECESSARY amount of forces. Using force is technically the last option when all other options are not adequate to perform our duty.

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

Federal correction, so far, is the only correction jurisdiction issue duty firearm to peace officers during outside escort duty, which means more responsibility and liability on us. I personally prefer to perform medical/funeral escort without a firearm (unless escorting a “super-max” security level inmate), because I got used to do unarmed escort when I was at provincial. But if I am assigned an escort duty now, I will simply follow the guidance of standing order/Commissioner's Directive and carry the pistol.
Who told you they don’t carry batons when working inside the institution? That’s completely false. We ALWAYS carry OC spray AND batons during outside escorts (medical escorts etc.). We carry OC spray at ALL TIMES when working inside the institution and batons as well, but that varys depending on what post you get for that day. For instance, when working living units, we aren’t obligated to carry a baton, just oc spray for safety reasons (inmates getting a hold of your baton is bad news), however, when we are a “prowler” or a “runner”, then we’re obligated to carry both OC spray and baton.
Who told me this? They are former BC correctional officers who are now working in my unit.
Perhaps, when they said they did not carry baton inside the institution, they referred it as living unit, or they considered inside institution as anywhere they perform direct supervision duty. Or may be they think the runner are minority of the institution and forget to count them as inside institution? I don’t know, and I have no intention to dig out, Simply the nature of hearsay.

Indeed, what you just said are pretty much the same as what I had said, except the part that how “inside institution” is interpreted.

And the percentage of the inside post officers with batons vs the officers without baton? I bet the answer is very obvious.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

User avatar
noanykey
Regular Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: BC Corrections

Postby noanykey » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am

BluesClues wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 am
noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:34 pm
I got the same thing as OJ. But I asked for a shorter wait.

So, lesson here all applicants.. Be honest about everything on the initial SSQ document. I just remembered some stuff a few days of insane thinking about my CVSA and that's my story.. No matter how tiny or insignificant, just tell them. and just FYI I didn't fail my CVSA.. I passed it.

I asked if I should wait more than a year and they said a year wait is going to be ok.
Yes, being honest is something that is VERY important, you should never lie. But the one thing I can definitely say is that, for corrections, they look for consistency. That goes all the way back to the react test. Whatever you had wrote down on your SSQ initially, you should keep the same going into your ESS and CVSA, even if something came up and you remembered something right before ESS and CVSA. CONSISTENCY is key to this whole process.
I kind of agree with you. That's how I got deferred from the process. My consistency wasn't sound throughout the process and whilst I passed my CVSA it was ultimately the above stated issue. It was a brutal lesson to learn especially now losing my job due to covid, but I just got to wait it out. But at the same time, if you do remember something, you should advise your recruiter. In my opinion, I think it's important to enter a career with your integrity solid, especially considering how quickly you will be tested to throw your integrity out the window.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

User avatar
EdMaxCO
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: BC Corrections Hiring Process

Postby EdMaxCO » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Anyone in BC corretions answer me something? Have you seen anyone move from a federal agency to the province and also transfer their pension? If so do they get a 1:1 year ratio? Thanks in advance
2008-2010 - CPO Calgary Correctional Center
2010-2011 - CX-01 Drumheller Institution
2011-2021 - CX-01 Edmonton Institution

BluesClues
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: What equipment do BC Peace/Correctional Officers carry?

Postby BluesClues » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:53 am

ygu31 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:16 am
BluesClues wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 am
ygu31 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm


I am not a BC provincial CO, but a few new recruits joined us last year had BC CO background. From what they told me, BC provincial COs carry Baton and OC spay for outside escort duties (Medical escort, funeral escort, etc), which is the same as ON, AB and MB provincial corrections. But BC CO do NOT carry baton if they work inside the institution.

It should be noticed that 90% of the conflict during peace officer duty are dealt by utilizing effective communication skills or other forms of soft techniques, not by using force or using weapon. The point is to de-escalade the conflict/hostile situation without using forces or just using the MINIMUM NECESSARY amount of forces. Using force is technically the last option when all other options are not adequate to perform our duty.

About the taser thing, I have never heard any correctional officer carry taser now a day, but I heard that MB Correctional Service used to have tasers and stored them at upper management offices decays ago, but teasers were later removed from MB Correction after the “2007 YVR taser-to-death incident” (HEARSAY from the use of force trainer when I was at MB).

Federal correction, so far, is the only correction jurisdiction issue duty firearm to peace officers during outside escort duty, which means more responsibility and liability on us. I personally prefer to perform medical/funeral escort without a firearm (unless escorting a “super-max” security level inmate), because I got used to do unarmed escort when I was at provincial. But if I am assigned an escort duty now, I will simply follow the guidance of standing order/Commissioner's Directive and carry the pistol.
Who told you they don’t carry batons when working inside the institution? That’s completely false. We ALWAYS carry OC spray AND batons during outside escorts (medical escorts etc.). We carry OC spray at ALL TIMES when working inside the institution and batons as well, but that varys depending on what post you get for that day. For instance, when working living units, we aren’t obligated to carry a baton, just oc spray for safety reasons (inmates getting a hold of your baton is bad news), however, when we are a “prowler” or a “runner”, then we’re obligated to carry both OC spray and baton.
Who told me this? They are former BC correctional officers who are now working in my unit.
Perhaps, when they said they did not carry baton inside the institution, they referred it as living unit, or they considered inside institution as anywhere they perform direct supervision duty. Or may be they think the runner are minority of the institution and forget to count them as inside institution? I don’t know, and I have no intention to dig out, Simply the nature of hearsay.

Indeed, what you just said are pretty much the same as what I had said, except the part that how “inside institution” is interpreted.

And the percentage of the inside post officers with batons vs the officers without baton? I bet the answer is very obvious.

Percentage of baton vs without baton is obvious. But I was just going by what you stated in your post above, which was “But BC CO do NOT carry baton if they work inside the institution”. I was just letting you know what we carry inside the institution on a daily basis, that’s all.

BluesClues
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: BC Corrections

Postby BluesClues » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 am

noanykey wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am
BluesClues wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 am
noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:34 pm
I got the same thing as OJ. But I asked for a shorter wait.

So, lesson here all applicants.. Be honest about everything on the initial SSQ document. I just remembered some stuff a few days of insane thinking about my CVSA and that's my story.. No matter how tiny or insignificant, just tell them. and just FYI I didn't fail my CVSA.. I passed it.

I asked if I should wait more than a year and they said a year wait is going to be ok.
Yes, being honest is something that is VERY important, you should never lie. But the one thing I can definitely say is that, for corrections, they look for consistency. That goes all the way back to the react test. Whatever you had wrote down on your SSQ initially, you should keep the same going into your ESS and CVSA, even if something came up and you remembered something right before ESS and CVSA. CONSISTENCY is key to this whole process.
I kind of agree with you. That's how I got deferred from the process. My consistency wasn't sound throughout the process and whilst I passed my CVSA it was ultimately the above stated issue. It was a brutal lesson to learn especially now losing my job due to covid, but I just got to wait it out. But at the same time, if you do remember something, you should advise your recruiter. In my opinion, I think it's important to enter a career with your integrity solid, especially considering how quickly you will be tested to throw your integrity out the window.
No, definitely agree with you on that one. Keeping your integrity solid is huge going into any career, let alone law enforcement. Well goodluck with your applications! Hope to see you in corrections soon, keep your head high, be confident, keep consistent, and you’ll get through in no time!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tucker and 7 guests