Worried about my poor Academic Integrity record

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
rufuswins
Rookie Member

Worried about my poor Academic Integrity record

Postby rufuswins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:21 am

Hello friends,

I am worried about my recent academic integrity recordat the university which I attended for 4 years. During my last year of studies, I fell off the wagon because it was an extremely difficult year, and I took many shortcuts. I was found to have plagiarised 2 times. The first offence had to do with paraphrasing a paragraph, and the second was during the final "take home" exam, where my answer was similar to that found online. After my second time I was placed on academic suspension for 1 year. In April 2014 I can return to take the remaining half credit I need to recieve my bachelor's degree. I was also told that this record will be wiped clean when I graduate.

I dream, day and night, of being an officer. I know that what I did was very wrong, and experience absolute remorse for that. I know that academic integrity is a very serious offence.

I am wondering what the potential consequences would be during the hiring process? I can wait until I graduate to apply, in hopes that this record will in fact, as stated, be erased. But even still, would the recruiting officer be able to access that information, even if the record would no longer be stated on my transcript? And if so, would this completely disintegrate my chances of moving forward in the hiring process?

I even went as far as considering to remove my university degree from my resume and application, and just including my college diploma I recieved in 2007. But, then I think, what was the point of 4 years of University and $25,000 in student loans if I can't even put that on my resume?

Please, no criticisms. I absolutely know that what I did was wrong, and I am reaping the results of my poor labour.

Thank you for your advice.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: Worried about my poor Academic Integrity record

Postby basketcase » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 am

Police services have fired people for cheating at police college. You cheated. Plain and simple. How do you think it will play out? You're a cheater so you're likely fried would be my guess.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:01 am

When I was at the academy....integrity was EVERYTHING. The first hint at a lack of integrity and you were gone. Now that I'm on the road, integrity is everything. The first hint at a lack of integrity and you're going in front of a panel to explain why you should keep your badge.

As for not disclosing your degree....that will be found out and lying is an integrity issue....see where I'm going with this?

I'd start looking for another career if I were you.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

rufuswins
Rookie Member

Postby rufuswins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 am

Thank you for your replies.

I contacted my academic advisor, who confirmed that after graduation my academic offence under the code that is currently notated in my record, will disappear.

So, if I understand correctly, during the application process, my previous offence shouldn't impact me, as it will not be present on my transcript.

I don't want to look for another career. We all make mistakes. I'm not justifying what I did, but in my case, it is a lesson for a lifetime. I am still reaping the results of that poor judgement and behavior. But in my case, it made me have better and smarter research skills, better personal judgement, and more analytical and thorough report writing at my current job. I had to learn the hard way. But I did. I don't think that our past defines us.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:35 am

Clearly you took nothing out of what I posted. YOU will have to disclose the fact you got put on academic probation as they ask you that exact question in your pre background questionaire. Planning to try and lie? I can tell you that's not an advisable course of action.

There are literally thousands of applicants without integrity issues....like I stated previously....I'd start looking for a new career.

Edit...background checks also check your online posts in which you just admitted you cheated and will potentially not disclose it. As you can see I quoted you to ensure you don't delete your posts.
Last edited by recceguy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 am

rufuswins wrote:Hello friends,

I am worried about my recent academic integrity recordat the university which I attended for 4 years. During my last year of studies, I fell off the wagon because it was an extremely difficult year, and I took many shortcuts. I was found to have plagiarised 2 times. The first offence had to do with paraphrasing a paragraph, and the second was during the final "take home" exam, where my answer was similar to that found online. After my second time I was placed on academic suspension for 1 year. In April 2014 I can return to take the remaining half credit I need to recieve my bachelor's degree. I was also told that this record will be wiped clean when I graduate.

I dream, day and night, of being an officer. I know that what I did was very wrong, and experience absolute remorse for that. I know that academic integrity is a very serious offence.

I am wondering what the potential consequences would be during the hiring process? I can wait until I graduate to apply, in hopes that this record will in fact, as stated, be erased. But even still, would the recruiting officer be able to access that information, even if the record would no longer be stated on my transcript? And if so, would this completely disintegrate my chances of moving forward in the hiring process?

I even went as far as considering to remove my university degree from my resume and application, and just including my college diploma I recieved in 2007. But, then I think, what was the point of 4 years of University and $25,000 in student loans if I can't even put that on my resume?

Please, no criticisms. I absolutely know that what I did was wrong, and I am reaping the results of my poor labour.

Thank you for your advice.
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 am

rufuswins wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I contacted my academic advisor, who confirmed that after graduation my academic offence under the code that is currently notated in my record, will disappear.

So, if I understand correctly, during the application process, my previous offence shouldn't impact me, as it will not be present on my transcript.

I don't want to look for another career. We all make mistakes. I'm not justifying what I did, but in my case, it is a lesson for a lifetime. I am still reaping the results of that poor judgement and behavior. But in my case, it made me have better and smarter research skills, better personal judgement, and more analytical and thorough report writing at my current job. I had to learn the hard way. But I did. I don't think that our past defines us.

I'll just quote these.....just in case.
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

rufuswins
Rookie Member

Postby rufuswins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 am

I came on this forum to genuinely seek advice and knowledge from anyone who can offer it. Not to be critiqued and scrutinized. Thank you for that. Good luck to you.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 pm

rufuswins wrote:I came on this forum to genuinely seek advice and knowledge from anyone who can offer it. Not to be critiqued and scrutinized. Thank you for that. Good luck to you.

I know both the RCMP and Vancouver PD specifically asked if I had ever been placed on any kind academic suspension or been caught cheating at school (I cheated on a grade 3 spelling test once :(( ) so this isn't something that you can just forget to mention and hope they don't find out ... which they will and a lying by omission is still lying.
:wave:

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:48 pm

rufuswins wrote:I came on this forum to genuinely seek advice and knowledge from anyone who can offer it.

Seems to me that's what you have received. Bad news sucks. Good luck!
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:59 pm

rufuswins wrote:I came on this forum to genuinely seek advice and knowledge from anyone who can offer it. Not to be critiqued and scrutinized. Thank you for that. Good luck to you.

You came to a police forums seeking advice on how you can circumvent the process for being a cheater. Then you come to the conclusion that you can probably lie about it and get away with it based on what's being told to you. So you're a liar and a cheat.

You have to disclose academic probation. They will ask why you took five years to complete a four year degree. They will search your usernames to see what kind of internet stuff you've gotten yourself into. If you have an issue with being critiqued and scrutinized then you probably shouldn't have even posted here. You also shouldn't bother putting pen to paper for a police application. Because guess what? YOU'LL BE CRITICIZED AND SCRUTINIZED. It's part of the process.

As recceguy mentioned, integrity is everything. We don't want to work with liars and cheats. As for your smart good luck to you comment; he's on the job as am I. We don't need luck. We made it through the process with INTEGRITY and were hired. People from my intake were FIRED for doing exactly what you say you did. So why would the service even invest the money on you when past behaviour is indicative of future behaviour?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I can't see how you'd have any chance at a Policing career. I would start taking a different direction in your career goals. That being said, I know a guy who forged his marks on a certificate of results and did still eventually get hired as a Police Officer. It was the Mounties who decided to hire him and it was some 20 years since the offending behavior took place.

CO

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:25 pm

You got caught twice for cheating... you probably cheated many more times and didn't get caught. Cheaters never prosper.

Policing is about integrity. Find another career field.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 pm

rufuswins wrote:I am worried about my recent academic integrity recordat the university which I attended for 4 years. During my last year of studies, I fell off the wagon because it was an extremely difficult year, and I took many shortcuts. I was found to have plagiarised 2 times. The first offence had to do with paraphrasing a paragraph, and the second was during the final "take home" exam, where my answer was similar to that found online. After my second time I was placed on academic suspension for 1 year. In April 2014 I can return to take the remaining half credit I need to recieve my bachelor's degree. I was also told that this record will be wiped clean when I graduate.

I suspect there was something more than an academic suspension...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I can't tell if this is a troll or not? :?
Troop 30
March 17-September 8