Manitoba Corrections

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Re: Corrections In Manitoba

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:58 pm
Haven't been at this post for a while. Really miss my old job at HCC, which was a very good example at safety and security side, one of the safest institutions I could ever think of national wide.
I didn't realize that until starting working at OCDC (Ottawa).
Now moving to CSC and hope it would be a good and relatively safe place to work with.
Good luck with CSC Gu. Lots of PT staff have made the switch back in MB.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Upcoming MB Corrections classes

In case anyone else reads this MB Corrections will be holding two more hiring competitions this year.

One starts in mid-February and one at end of April, for August and October training classes respectively.

Prairie_Mom_Central
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_Mom_Central » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Can someone explain any differences between a youth corrections counsellor and a correctional officer? I'm going on a tour of Agassiz Youth Centre tomorrow and I just want to make sure that I'm a good fit for the role. I have training in mediation and further training in victim/offender mediation. Currently I mediate and facilitate court diverted matters, working mostly with offenders via restorative action sessions. Are these skills that would transfer well into this role?

Jetsfan899
Rookie Member

Postby Jetsfan899 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 am

Prairie_Mom_Central wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm
Can someone explain any differences between a youth corrections counsellor and a correctional officer? I'm going on a tour of Agassiz Youth Centre tomorrow and I just want to make sure that I'm a good fit for the role. I have training in mediation and further training in victim/offender mediation. Currently I mediate and facilitate court diverted matters, working mostly with offenders via restorative action sessions. Are these skills that would transfer well into this role?
Juvenille Counsellors and Correctional Officer is the same job but just titled different, since Juvenille Counsellors sounds less threatening for kids. Its the same that JC dont wear uniforms (wear street clothes) compared to COs

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am

Prairie_Mom_Central wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm
Both OC and JCs go through exactly the same training. There may be some extra you get for youth at your centre. The use of force is the same at all centres (train to the national law enforcement standard) but in youth you won't be able to apply it the same as adult. You'll have to suck up a lot more crap from the kids then you have to from the adults.

Your training and understanding of the system will certainly help you as either an OC or JC. I'd take stock of how you feel you would handle and react in violent and physical crisis situations as well.

Prairie_Mom_Central
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_Mom_Central » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Madeline236 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am

Both OC and JCs go through exactly the same training. There may be some extra you get for youth at your centre. The use of force is the same at all centres (train to the national law enforcement standard) but in youth you won't be able to apply it the same as adult. You'll have to suck up a lot more crap from the kids then you have to from the adults.

Your training and understanding of the system will certainly help you as either an OC or JC. I'd take stock of how you feel you would handle and react in violent and physical crisis situations as well.
Thank you for the reply; It was very insightful. I did my tour on Wednesday and I found it encouraging that they institute a lot of the same programs that we include in agreements with youth and adult offenders in the community. I decided to go ahead and sign up for an interview at Agassiz.
Prior to all this I worked in government handling federal casework in one of the country's poorest ridings and dealt with racist comments, death threats and other threats of violence, sexual harassment, stalking, people with addictions and other mental health issues on a daily basis. A lot of our constituents also included those transitioning back into the community from having been incarcerated or individuals who needed to be institutionalized in some way. I know it's perhaps not the same but I think it has definitely helped me to develop a thick skin.

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 am

Madeline236 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:01 pm

In case anyone else reads this MB Corrections will be holding two more hiring competitions this year.

One starts in mid-February and one at end of April, for August and October training classes respectively.
Three of my friends will be working at HCC soon, two of them come because of DCC’s closure. One is currently a DCC officer, and will be transferred to HCC after DCC closure. Another was applying DCC two month ago, succeeded on her interview, but because of the DCC closure, she was told to pick an another institution (HCC, of course) and her DCC successful interview results will be carried forward to HCC.
Plus another of my friends will transfer from BCC to HCC as well.
I also heard that in current training class, more than half of the new recruits are going to HCC. It seems HCC will have lots of new recruits, will this impact OT even in summer time?
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 am
Madeline236 wrote:

Three of my friends will be working at HCC soon, two of them come because of DCC’s closure. One is currently a DCC officer, and will be transferred to HCC after DCC closure. Another was applying DCC two month ago, succeeded on her interview, but because of the DCC closure, she was told to pick an another institution (HCC, of course) and her DCC successful interview results will be carried forward to HCC.
I also heard that in current training class, more than half of the new recruits are going to HCC. It seems HCC will have lots of new recruits, will this impact OT even in summer time?
It's not believed most DCC folks will be taking the move option. Too many with family with jobs and attachments in the town and and housing sales there are apparently bad now, never mind if 40 families want to move.

I don't believe that half the class is HCC this time around. The next one won't be even 1/3.

As always no matter how many they hire it seems to not have a significant impact on overtime. I don't even think we will have two dozen new people (not including any DCC staff) by June so OT will be pretty good for those that want it.

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:08 pm

Madeline236 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm
ygu31 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 am
Madeline236 wrote:

It's not believed most DCC folks will be taking the move option. Too many with family with jobs and attachments in the town and and housing sales there are apparently bad now, never mind if 40 families want to move.

I don't believe that half the class is HCC this time around. The next one won't be even 1/3.

As always no matter how many they hire it seems to not have a significant impact on overtime. I don't even think we will have two dozen new people (not including any DCC staff) by June so OT will be pretty good for those that want it.
That’s very true: As I recall, for instance, there were 160 part timers at HCC, both full timer and part timers still got OT. Perhaps, OT is really inevitable.
By the way, my friends will be so glad to hear that. As they will be on unpaid training for two months, they will need OT for sure.
Could you please do me a huge favor: say hi to HCC staff for me? I did send emails to a few of them for Christmas and New Years,but could not reach majority of the staff. Please bring my best regards to them, and tell them it is a treat and privilege to work with them in such a wonderful team, thanks :-)
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

Prairie_Mom_Central
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_Mom_Central » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:46 pm

I just received confirmation that training is to commence November 23. Wondering if anyone else received an email.

Vinandi
Rookie Member

Postby Vinandi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:19 pm

With all these COVID-19 cases in the facilities here, does anyone believe the current recruitment process will be delayed again?

Prairie_Mom_Central
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_Mom_Central » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:28 pm

Vinandi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:19 pm
With all these COVID-19 cases in the facilities here, does anyone believe the current recruitment process will be delayed again?
I completed my session in January and another intake started almost immediately after.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:32 am

COVID "in the facilities" has no effect on recruitment. Slight adjustment in the part that has recruits on the floor observing.

That said for all practical purposes we've had no COVID for a few months now.

Not stopping the powers that be from releasing people on TA's "Due to COVID" however. But its a chance to save money so downtown will always take that opportunity. By summer there will be no inmates left. COVID will have killed crime as well as common sense.

catnat
Rookie Member

Postby catnat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:12 am

Hey all,

Has anyone here done their Correctional Officer/Juvenile Counsellor testing for competition #37071? I did mine in early February and will find out results end of March. Hoping to keep in touch over the process!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:12 pm

catnat wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:12 am
Hey all,

Has anyone here done their Correctional Officer/Juvenile Counsellor testing for competition #37071? I did mine in early February and will find out results end of March. Hoping to keep in touch over the process!
While I've heard of people failing the last test (its more for mental suitability than a pass fail thing) it does not happen often. We don't mark those, they are sent out. If you fail it then its for good reason, you should not be working in a Jail. Already have enough people who slip in who end up on stress leave. Some for good reason, some because they made a bad career choice.