GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
paulmi07
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby paulmi07 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:28 am

paulmi07 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 am
Hi everyone,

Anyone knows where and how to get the medical requisition for cat 3 medical? I am planning on getting the medical done by my family doctor and I can’t find any information or form which relates to this. I have emailed recruitment over 2 weeks now but no response.

Thank you.
CBSA Applicant

Applied: Jan 2019
Otee: Mar 2019 Passed
Interview: Oct 2019 Passed
Psych: Sept 2020 Passed
Background started: Feb 2021
Pare: May 2021. Passed
Security Clearance :Passed May 2021
Medical: May 2021
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:32 pm

paulmi07 wrote:
Hi Group,

Anyone knows where and how to get the medical requisition for cat 3 medical? I am planning on getting the medical done by my family doctor and I can’t find any information or form which has to be filled by my doctor.

Thank you.
You have to email HR to request they send you the forms, I guess.

Checking with HR is always helpful.

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:10 am
IronWolf wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 pm
new2this wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:25 pm
Just received an email update on the process and wondered if anybody is familiar with the Duty Placement Process (DPP) and what it involves, has it changed - or is this something new?
current or recent trainees I guess can advise what the current DPP is, here's some info from the past :
Jumb34t wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 am
I was looking over the 'Evaluation of the Officer Induction Model' page on the CBSA website and came across how the 'Port of Entry' selection process was like in the past compared to what it is now.

"The original DPP (Duty Placement Process) was merit-based and the order by which Recruits selected their POE was decided by class rank which was based on individual test scores. The subsequent process was a double random process whereby Recruits selected their POE based on a randomly assigned time. The most current process used is also random, but allows for some consideration of location preference (including a swap option), and includes the ability for Recruits to voluntarily choose a Limited Duration Post in exchange for selecting the POE of their choice upon completion. Historically, the list of available priority placement locations which is identified by Operations Branch has varied from cohort to cohort. Upon graduation from the CBSA College, Recruits are given between 2 to 4 weeks to relocate and compensated for their relocation costs"

The part that's highlighted is very interesting to me and I didn't know that was even an option until now. It's a pretty good alternative for those who want to stay where they are rather than relocate. The only issue is, what are the chances for you to actually go to your preferred location after your Development Program (FB2) and not end up staying longer/getting stuck there. But then again, we all did agree to get posted anywhere in Canada, haha.
This is what I'm on right now. I have a limited duration posting. I am nearing my two year mark. They are going to be reaching out within the next few months to get the ball rolling on my preferred posting. This program only started in 2017, so the first recruits would have been relocated last year. I can say with certainty that they all got where they wanted after that three year mark, even some of the more desirable ports. This program is one of those "word of mouth" programs, by which I mean if everyone in the program says they suck and won't relocate you.. You are 100% not going to try and get one. When I went to Rigaud, I went with the sole intention on getting one so that I could relocate back home.
That's great, once at a preferred location, the job will become even better with the added lifestyle perk of being at your own preferred area, family, friends nearby.

Thx for sharing ! I am happy for you !

I wished CBSA had some program to evaluate special needs cases, that would be great, maybe there's such thing, but only available once in already.

Cheers !

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm

paulmi07 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:28 am
paulmi07 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Anyone knows where and how to get the medical requisition for cat 3 medical? I am planning on getting the medical done by my family doctor and I can’t find any information or form which relates to this. I have emailed recruitment over 2 weeks now but no response.

Thank you.
Just a quick FYI : the latest info from HR doesn't mention clearly that they will reimburse you the cost for medical exam if you do it yourself :

Medical exam
"Valid for two years, as long as a Self-Health Declaration Form is completed at the
one-year mark. Additionally, candidates can now have the assessment conducted
by their family physician (any associated costs are the responsibility of the
candidate)."

Maybe check with HR about that to be sure.

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Here's the latest update :

COVID-19 - Change Summary

Officer trainee entrance exam (OTEE)
No impacts – online testing sessions continue to be held quarterly.

Interview
All interviews are currently being administered via a telephone method. Candidates
must submit documents (proof of citizenship & drivers license) via Canada Post
Epost Connect in advance of the interview (an email with instructions will be sent to
candidates invited to this step).

Firearms safety courses
Proof of having successfully passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and
the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) will need to be submitted
during the selection process, prior to attending the Officer Induction Training
Program (OITP).

Physical evaluation
The validity period for PARE results acquired after September 2018, have been
extended until further notice. Additionally, the following evaluations, if
completed after September 2018, are now accepted as PARE equivalents:
• Correctional Officer Physical Abilities Test (COPAT)
• Peace Officers Physical Abilities Test (POPAT)
• Fitness Testing for Ontario Correctional Officer (FITCO)
• Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police (PREP)

Psychological assessment
The psychological assessment continues to be administered in-person with physical
distancing measures in place. Any candidates who are overseas or remote/rural
locations and have difficulties in accessing assessment centers, should advise the
National Officer Recruitment Program (NORP) following an invitation to attend this
assessment.

Medical exam
Valid for two years, as long as a Self-Health Declaration Form is completed at the
candidate).

Secret security clearance
All security interviews are now conducted via a telephone method – this has
improved the turn-around time for security clearances.

Second language evaluation
Essential for those who apply to a bilingual position. Candidates who apply to an
English Essential position do not need to complete Second Language Evaluations.
Note that assessments are being administered virtually during the recruitment
process under the interim measures set out by the Public Service Commission.
Some results are non-transferable to other positions and candidates may be
required to re-take assessments during a later stage of the Officer Induction
Model (OIM).

paulmi07
Rookie Member

Postby paulmi07 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm
paulmi07 wrote:
paulmi07 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
Just a quick FYI : the latest info from HR doesn't mention clearly that they will reimburse you the cost for medical exam if you do it yourself :

Medical exam
"Valid for two years, as long as a Self-Health Declaration Form is completed at the
candidate)."

I do have my security clearance interview on May, 11, 2021 and after that, I should have completed all the steps apart from Medical Exam so I won’t mind paying for it to get the process completed and increase my chance of starting training early. It’s been 2 weeks I emailed HR and no response.
CBSA Applicant

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:40 pm

paulmi07 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 pm
IronWolf wrote:
paulmi07 wrote:

Medical exam
candidate)."

I do have my security clearance interview on May, 11, 2021 and after that, I should have completed all the steps apart from Medical Exam so I won’t mind paying for it to get the process completed and increase my chance of starting training early. It’s been 2 weeks I emailed HR and no response.
I see your point and it makes sense, just have in mind that many wait with all steps completed too, while others that applied after them are already invited ... Just be ready to accept that completing all steps is not a guarantee for faster invite.

Good luck !

paulmi07
Rookie Member

Postby paulmi07 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:18 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:40 pm
paulmi07 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 pm
IronWolf wrote:

Medical exam
candidate)."

I see your point and it makes sense, just have in mind that many wait with all steps completed too, while others that applied after them are already invited ... Just be ready to accept that completing all steps is not a guarantee for faster invite.

Good luck !
Thank you.
CBSA Applicant

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Psychological assessment
The psychological assessment continues to be administered in-person with physical
locations and have difficulties in accessing assessment centers, should advise the
National Officer Recruitment Program (NORP) following an invitation to attend this
assessment.
Great! May I know where did you get these updates? Email from HR? :thumbsup:
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: May 2021 (Virtual) (Passed)
Security: TBC
:swords:

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Psychological assessment
assessment.
Great! May I know where did you get these updates? Email from HR? :thumbsup:
yes, email from HR

jkl123
Rookie Member

Postby jkl123 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:09 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 am
jkl123 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:37 am
Good Afternoon Everyone!

Just had a few quick general questions and wondering if anyone could answer.

1. Does anyone know if when you get asked to do you OITP, is the online portion go at your own pace or are things scheduled?
2. I think I saw this questions before, but don't know if I ever saw the answer. Is there anything anyone wish they would of brought to Rigaud with them? What types of things are you going to bring?
1. Online portion is a bit of both. Unless it's changed since I did it in 2018. Most of it was at your own pace, so if you had to work a lot over a few days you could pound out a bunch of material.
But there were a few online group things we had to do that had set due dates.

2. My information is pre-covid. I imagine now it would include things to entertain yourself for two weeks of isolation. But that aside.. A few books or tablet to entertain yourself on your down time, which you do get, contrary to some belief. A good set of headphones, maybe two. You'll need one set for class, so they have to be wired.
They do provide you a list of what you should bring too.
Ensure you have a good data plan. The wifi is garbage to say the least - unless that's improved. They were trying to when I was there -
And this is more of a "when you're there" sort of thing. But it would help to have small easy to make lunch items in your mini fridge. The cafeteria can get slammed at lunch time and your chances of getting anything of substance when you sometimes get a like 35 minute lunch sucks.

Thank you for this. That does help a lot, I assumed they gave you a list of things to bring and everything, my curiosity and time waiting just has me curious about so many things. If possible to answer, one more question. Obviously I know they place you at a POE once you finish training, but how does you finding a place to live work? Are you just out on your own, or do they provide some sort of assistance to helping you find somewhere to live?
OTEE: Feb 2019
Interview: May 2019
Psych Evaluation: Nov 2019
Medical Eval: Feb 2020
Integrity Interview: Apr 2020
Clearance Granted: May 2020
PARE: Apr 2021

CFSC/CRSFC: Apr 2021/June 2021
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat May 08, 2021 4:59 pm

jkl123 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:09 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
jkl123 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:37 am
Good Afternoon Everyone!

Just had a few quick general questions and wondering if anyone could answer.

1. Does anyone know if when you get asked to do you OITP, is the online portion go at your own pace or are things scheduled?
2. I think I saw this questions before, but don't know if I ever saw the answer. Is there anything anyone wish they would of brought to Rigaud with them? What types of things are you going to bring?
1. Online portion is a bit of both. Unless it's changed since I did it in 2018. Most of it was at your own pace, so if you had to work a lot over a few days you could pound out a bunch of material.

2. My information is pre-covid. I imagine now it would include things to entertain yourself for two weeks of isolation. But that aside.. A few books or tablet to entertain yourself on your down time, which you do get, contrary to some belief. A good set of headphones, maybe two. You'll need one set for class, so they have to be wired.
Ensure you have a good data plan. The wifi is garbage to say the least - unless that's improved. They were trying to when I was there -
And this is more of a "when you're there" sort of thing. But it would help to have small easy to make lunch items in your mini fridge. The cafeteria can get slammed at lunch time and your chances of getting anything of substance when you sometimes get a like 35 minute lunch sucks.

Thank you for this. That does help a lot, I assumed they gave you a list of things to bring and everything, my curiosity and time waiting just has me curious about so many things. If possible to answer, one more question. Obviously I know they place you at a POE once you finish training, but how does you finding a place to live work? Are you just out on your own, or do they provide some sort of assistance to helping you find somewhere to live?

There are currently only two intakes at the college right now with just under 70 recruits in each intake. The second intake is still isolating for another week, so I don’t see the cafeteria being too busy at any given time even once the second intake gets out of isolation. The food in isolation is warm, but really good.

The three weeks of online training before coming to the college is pretty intense and I’m glad I wasn’t working full-time. The one thing I would suggest bringing is comforts from home, a nice blanket and some family photos to put on the cork board. We found out which POE we would be at before we left for the college.

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat May 08, 2021 5:25 pm

BoltUp wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:59 pm
There are currently only two intakes at the college right now with just under 70 recruits in each intake. The second intake is still isolating for another week, so I don’t see the cafeteria being too busy at any given time even once the second intake gets out of isolation. The food in isolation is warm, but really good.

The three weeks of online training before coming to the college is pretty intense and I’m glad I wasn’t working full-time. The one thing I would suggest bringing is comforts from home, a nice blanket and some family photos to put on the cork board. We found out which POE we would be at before we left for the college.
Thx for sharing !

Good luck ahead !

jkl123
Rookie Member

Postby jkl123 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:20 am

BoltUp wrote:
jkl123 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:09 pm
Zedlinka wrote:

You found out where you were going to be placed after you finished, before you even went to the college?
OTEE: Feb 2019
Interview: May 2019
Psych Evaluation: Nov 2019
Medical Eval: Feb 2020
Integrity Interview: Apr 2020
Clearance Granted: May 2020
PARE: Apr 2021

CFSC/CRSFC: Apr 2021/June 2021
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Sage Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun May 09, 2021 12:02 pm

jkl123 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:20 am
BoltUp wrote:
... We found out which POE we would be at before we left for the college.

You found out where you were going to be placed after you finished, before you even went to the college?
It's pretty clear to me from what he wrote :)