Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby ReadySetGo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Has anyone heard anything about September selection?

AltaGuy
Rookie Member

Postby AltaGuy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 am

ReadySetGo wrote:Has anyone heard anything about September selection?

I thought Cps was on a hiring freeze

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:24 pm

AltaGuy wrote:
ReadySetGo wrote:Has anyone heard anything about September selection?

I thought Cps was on a hiring freeze

Still the word we've had around the service. If we were hiring again, that rumour would have made it out to everyone within hours, if not minutes.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:19 pm

So what typically happens with people in my position? Will I have to do anything over again in the process? What can I expect when hiring resumes? Is it simply still just waiting for the call?

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm

ReadySetGo wrote:So what typically happens with people in my position? Will I have to do anything over again in the process? What can I expect when hiring resumes? Is it simply still just waiting for the call?

I don't have a good answer for you on this. I've never been around for a hiring freeze nor have any of the members on my team. Only Recruiting can answer that for you, sorry.

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:39 am

ReadySetGo wrote:So what typically happens with people in my position? Will I have to do anything over again in the process? What can I expect when hiring resumes? Is it simply still just waiting for the call?

You will likely have to have your Medical and APREP domes again as it's only valid for 6 months.

DAC89
Rookie Member

Postby DAC89 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Hey Guys,

First time posting here on the site but I've been following the thread for some time now. It's great to see where everyone is at and to get my questions answered.

I just found out that I passed my background check and that my file will be going on to selections for October 25th, according to recruiting. It's nice to know that they're still active in the recruiting process even with the current hiring situation. I also asked what steps I may have to re-do and he said that the A-prep and medical would have to be done prior to classes.

I also attended the police commission meeting yesterday to get some insight into possible hiring over 2018 and it sounds hopeful. They're requesting 14.3m in additional funding which would support 55 new officers in 2018 (not sure if this would be above attrition or including it). It looks like they're just waiting for the new city council to be elected and provide a budget before they announce new classes etc. I guess we really wont know until the final week of November when the budget is released, but everyone including the city councillors seemed optimistic yesterday.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:17 am

DAC89 wrote:Hey Guys,

First time posting here on the site but I've been following the thread for some time now. It's great to see where everyone is at and to get my questions answered.

I just found out that I passed my background check and that my file will be going on to selections for October 25th, according to recruiting. It's nice to know that they're still active in the recruiting process even with the current hiring situation. I also asked what steps I may have to re-do and he said that the A-prep and medical would have to be done prior to classes.

I also attended the police commission meeting yesterday to get some insight into possible hiring over 2018 and it sounds hopeful. They're requesting 14.3m in additional funding which would support 55 new officers in 2018 (not sure if this would be above attrition or including it). It looks like they're just waiting for the new city council to be elected and provide a budget before they announce new classes etc. I guess we really wont know until the final week of November when the budget is released, but everyone including the city councillors seemed optimistic yesterday.

Congrats on making it through the process, and thank you for the insight. I am also awaiting October selection, applied July 2016, April selection was cancelled, and everything froze after that, so it's good to hear that there is some optimism for the near future.

prco
Rookie Member

Postby prco » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Anyone hear anything when CPS recruiting kicks off again?

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 am

prco wrote:Anyone hear anything when CPS recruiting kicks off again?

I imagine there will be some light shed over the next month or two. There are several things taking place including a selection meeting and the launch of the new online application process. Not that any of this means a class will be scheduled any time soon.

jwelder
Rookie Member

Postby jwelder » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm

I have a brand new copy of the "Barrons Canadian Police Officer Exams" book that I have no use for anymore. Free to anyone who wants to pick it up, I am located in Calgary.

kpete848
Rookie Member

Postby kpete848 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm

prco wrote:Anyone hear anything when CPS recruiting kicks off again?

Haven’t heard much, it’s going to come down to the budget... not looking good for a lot of classes but I would be hard pressed if there was not atleast one more class this year or early next.

gavins
Rookie Member

Postby gavins » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Budget is set to be released in the end of November guys, so at that point it is like to be determined how many classes will run in 2018. My purely speculative guess is 4 classes to keep up with attrition, and CPS is going to need a growth period here soon. But some news should be coming within a month. Same crap happened in 2011, just not as long as this year.
Calgary Police Service

KHSine
Rookie Member

Postby KHSine » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Hello,

Just looking to know if anyone else is in a similar position. I have completed all aspects of the application up to and including the polygraph but have now heard nothing. I am choosing to believe no news is good news. I know that not much will be determined until the city solidifies their budgets but I am curious if anyone else is in a similar position? Should I have heard by now?

Thank you in advance.

Application -Oct 13, 2016
ACT/APCAT - Jan15th, 2017
APREP-April 22nd, 2017
PDI - May 29th, 2017
Pannel - Aug 14th, 2017
Psyhc - Aug 16th, 2017
Polygraph - Oct 4th, 2017
Background -
Selection -

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:18 pm

KHSine wrote:Hello,

Just looking to know if anyone else is in a similar position. I have completed all aspects of the application up to and including the polygraph but have now heard nothing. I am choosing to believe no news is good news. I know that not much will be determined until the city solidifies their budgets but I am curious if anyone else is in a similar position? Should I have heard by now?

Thank you in advance.

Application -Oct 13, 2016
ACT/APCAT - Jan15th, 2017
APREP-April 22nd, 2017
PDI - May 29th, 2017
Pannel - Aug 14th, 2017
Psyhc - Aug 16th, 2017
Polygraph - Oct 4th, 2017
Background -
Selection -

You're sitting just fine, and your timeline is actually pretty good considering the freeze. I've personally been waiting on selection since April and still haven't heard anything. Be patient, it'll pay off.