Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TF2
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby TF2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:07 am

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all enjoying the process

Couple a days ago, I sent my application package, and I am just starting an exciting and time consuming process.
After I got deferred for a year, I informed the recruiting unit that I am resubmitting my application, and they confirmed receipt of my package. I wonder if anyone here in Calgary is preparing for the written exam. I would be glad to have a studying bud, things would be more easier. I will post again if I get new updates. :arrow:

Blackwolf_actual
Rookie Member

Postby Blackwolf_actual » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:48 am

Do they confirm receipt of application packages for all applicants? Or just those they deem potential candidates?

TF2
Rookie Member

Postby TF2 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi,

BackWolf_actual@ I believe the confirmation has nothing to do with being a potential candidate.
I guess it's only because I contacted my recruiter few times. Nothing special really.

kpete848
Rookie Member

Postby kpete848 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Blackwolf_actual wrote:Do they confirm receipt of application packages for all applicants? Or just those they deem potential candidates?

sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Keep in mind if your waiting, no news is good news

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:44 am

kpete848 wrote:
GeeGee wrote:who does the psych eval for CPS? is it the place in South center plaza?

does it matter where its held ? lol

thank you...it doesnt matter to be honest...im applying from out of town so was just being curious for travel arrangement purposes etc. apologies
Last edited by GeeGee on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kpete848
Rookie Member

Postby kpete848 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:54 pm

If any applicants have questions about the process feel free to shoot me a private message, I don't mind helping out as much as I can ( I am not answering questions pertaining to the polygraph or psych test so don't bother). Otherwise though I had many people help me along my way so its my turn to pay it forward after being successful a few years back now..

Rav0065
Rookie Member

Postby Rav0065 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:14 pm

I heard that CPS hires pre hire sometimes. Can anyone explain what does that exactly means? Is it like being hired and working before class? Are they paid for their work before class as a PC?

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:31 am

Rav0065 wrote:I heard that CPS hires pre hire sometimes. Can anyone explain what does that exactly means? Is it like being hired and working before class? Are they paid for their work before class as a PC?

You start getting recruit constable salary and that time counts towards your seniority. You could be doing front counter stuff or in a community station.

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:47 pm

allbrancereal wrote:
Rav0065 wrote:I heard that CPS hires pre hire sometimes. Can anyone explain what does that exactly means? Is it like being hired and working before class? Are they paid for their work before class as a PC?

You start getting recruit constable salary and that time counts towards your seniority. You could be doing front counter stuff or in a community station.

Not to say that this doesn't happen, but I've never heard of this or seen it - I'd love to know a source (if you want to PM me, that's fine). I know there are some who are injured in class who work front counters or go into admin spots (like Court Disclosure Team), but I've never heard of someone who is waiting for a class to get hired on at a Cst salary without actually having been in classes. The exception is those who are already Auxiliary Cadets. Personally, I'd have an issue with someone earning seniority (and thus higher salary, leave, and (possibly) tenure) without actually doing the job or being sworn in.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 am

cityblue wrote:
allbrancereal wrote:

Not to say that this doesn't happen, but I've never heard of this or seen it - I'd love to know a source (if you want to PM me, that's fine). I know there are some who are injured in class who work front counters or go into admin spots (like Court Disclosure Team), but I've never heard of someone who is waiting for a class to get hired on at a Cst salary without actually having been in classes. The exception is those who are already Auxiliary Cadets. Personally, I'd have an issue with someone earning seniority (and thus higher salary, leave, and (possibly) tenure) without actually doing the job or being sworn in.

Hmm. Interesting. I thought cps and eps followed the same model. Never mind then. Eps has all of that.

BravoLimaKilo
Rookie Member

Postby BravoLimaKilo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone is currently at the background stage or have been selected for the upcoming class in the fall?

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 pm

dropping off my package in 2 weeks after my hearing and vision tests are done!!!
super excited and good luck to all!
heard nothing but great things about the process and recruiters!!!

Blackwolf_actual
Rookie Member

Postby Blackwolf_actual » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Applied 9 weeks ago havent heard a word. Not sure if I should wait it out or forget about them.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Blackwolf_actual wrote:Applied 9 weeks ago havent heard a word. Not sure if I should wait it out or forget about them.

Hey there, you should contact recruitment. When I applied I waited about the same length of time and finally called in only to find out that my application had been assigned to a file manager. They weren't reaching out to me because they weren't sure if I was an out of town applicant.

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Blackwolf_actual wrote:Applied 9 weeks ago havent heard a word. Not sure if I should wait it out or forget about them.

If that's the level of interest you have in CPS, feel free to forget about them - if you've looked into this thread at all, you'll see that there are plenty of applicants who've waited as long or longer after dropping off their paperwork. There are only a handful of file managers, each with more than 100 prospective applicants in their queue - that doesn't even account for the application packages that got bounced at the pre-screening stage (missing paperwork, serious issues identified, etc...).