Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
KC22
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby KC22 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Does anyone know when offers for December intake will be going out ?

Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 am

nextfacter wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:00 am
Applied as lateral transfer in Feb, finished the interview and psych interview, got assigned a BG officer, then Covid hit. No one on my reference list or my current employer got called. Got a 1 year deferral email in August, anyone got any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Call TPS recruiting. Ask them. I imagine that as a Constable from another service they will likely give you more info, or be more willing to talk to you, than a non Constable who gets deferred, where they usually don’t say anything at all, other than “keep trying”.
Border Services Officer

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Toronto1985 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 am
nextfacter wrote:
Applied as lateral transfer in Feb, finished the interview and psych interview, got assigned a BG officer, then Covid hit. No one on my reference list or my current employer got called. Got a 1 year deferral email in August, anyone got any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Call TPS recruiting. Ask them. I imagine that as a Constable from another service they will likely give you more info, or be more willing to talk to you, than a non Constable who gets deferred, where they usually don’t say anything at all, other than “keep trying”.

Yeah, I never really understand why people would ask that on here when nobody can give a definitive answer

If you are this afraid to call HR to find out why

I see you have put down lateral transfer and not identified as a lateral police constable. Are you a police officer or some other definition of a police officer

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:05 am

Fonthill wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:13 pm
Toronto1985 wrote:
nextfacter wrote:

Yeah, I never really understand why people would ask that on here when nobody can give a definitive answer

I see you have put down lateral transfer and not identified as a lateral police constable. Are you a police officer or some other definition of a police officer
Actually by identifying as a lateral transfer, it is a clear indication that he is a constable. Toronto Police have no other means of laterally transferring unless you identify as a constable. Please see the following that defines...

Minimum requirements for lateral transfer:

Successful completion of recruit training at the Ontario Police College, R.C.M.P. Depot or the accredited facilities below:
British Columbia Institute of Justice
Edmonton Police Service
Calgary Police Service
Saskatchewan Police College
Winnipeg Police Service
Ecole Nationale de Police du Quebec
Atlantic Police Academy

also...

Additionally the below documentation will also be required at interview:

Current police service warrant card and badge,
Documents to verify rank,
Any other documents that you believe should be placed in your file including other education documents, course certificates, current evaluations or documentations,
Valid driver’s license (An Ontario Driver’s license will be required at time of hire),
Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency (valid permanent resident card).

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:27 am

Rob4613 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:05 am
Fonthill wrote:
Toronto1985 wrote:

Actually by identifying as a lateral transfer, it is a clear indication that he is a constable. Toronto Police have no other means of laterally transferring unless you identify as a constable. Please see the following that defines...

Successful completion of recruit training at the Ontario Police College, R.C.M.P. Depot or the accredited facilities below:
Edmonton Police Service
Calgary Police Service
Winnipeg Police Service
Atlantic Police Academy

also...

Any other documents that you believe should be placed in your file including other education documents, course certificates, current evaluations or documentations,
Valid driver’s license (An Ontario Driver’s license will be required at time of hire),
Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency (valid permanent resident card).
Something doesn’t add up

Why would any police service deferral a current police officer then that alleged police officer then ask that question on here hahah.

Doesn’t add up

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 am

Serving police officers get deferred all the time and have the same questions/concerns that fresh applicants have.

Recruiting or "talent acquisition", as it now called, won't provide any more clarification to a serving officer as to the reasons.

Unfortunately, none of us on here can provide any insight as we've all seen great candidates, serving police and non serving, get passed over and are in the dark as much as the applicant. The sad fact is that you'll never know the reason and just have to move on.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:34 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:27 am
Rob4613 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

Edmonton Police Service
Calgary Police Service
Winnipeg Police Service
Atlantic Police Academy

also...

Something doesn’t add up

Why would any police service deferral a current police officer then that alleged police officer then ask that question on here hahah.

Doesn’t add up
When does any recruitment make sense? It doesn't... most of the time its luck of the draw. Right place, right time, right applicant

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 am

Rob4613 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:34 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Rob4613 wrote:

Edmonton Police Service
Calgary Police Service
Winnipeg Police Service
Atlantic Police Academy

also...

Something doesn’t add up

Doesn’t add up
When does any recruitment make sense? It doesn't... most of the time its luck of the draw. Right place, right time, right applicant
And... right family member or friend lol

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 am
Rob4613 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:34 pm
Fonthill wrote:

Something doesn’t add up

Doesn’t add up
And... right family member or friend lol
Falls under the umbrella of right applicant, but yes, nepotism is alive and well within any job setting.

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:16 am

I wouldn't say nepotism. However the picture I paint when talking to some high ranking officers in police services is that in big cities there is currently a shift in hiring. Just look at how much police forces are under political tension.

The profile they look for is more oriented towards young, socially educated, multicultural candidates while putting less value on hires with previous law enforcement / security / military experience.

I have heard a RUMOR that in Ottawa, the chief is becoming less and less interested in hiring laterals. I wouldn't be surprised if large cities forces reduce the # of lateral hires or completely stops.

However when I talk with more rural covering forces officers like rcmp or opp, the focus over this shift is less flagrant.

Also, everyone tells me that currently in Ontario the competition level is at their highest. Candidates who score high in all spheres of evaluation are still being rejected. There is still a good margin of error between a great candidate who will perfom well on the field or one who just doesn't have it. The science is not exact, the process is arbitrary, and they got an overabundance of good candidates on paper.

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:36 pm

GloQc wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:16 am
I wouldn't say nepotism. However the picture I paint when talking to some high ranking officers in police services is that in big cities there is currently a shift in hiring. Just look at how much police forces are under political tension.

The profile they look for is more oriented towards young, socially educated, multicultural candidates while putting less value on hires with previous law enforcement / security / military experience.

I have heard a RUMOR that in Ottawa, the chief is becoming less and less interested in hiring laterals. I wouldn't be surprised if large cities forces reduce the # of lateral hires or completely stops.

However when I talk with more rural covering forces officers like rcmp or opp, the focus over this shift is less flagrant.

Also, everyone tells me that currently in Ontario the competition level is at their highest. Candidates who score high in all spheres of evaluation are still being rejected. There is still a good margin of error between a great candidate who will perfom well on the field or one who just doesn't have it. The science is not exact, the process is arbitrary, and they got an overabundance of good candidates on paper.
Don't kid yourself.

Some people don't even look good on paper and still get hired, then they're really bad on the job, cost the service millions, immediately request not to do nights, miss several weeks of work in a row, etc. Blows my mind.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:53 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:36 pm
GloQc wrote:

Don't kid yourself.

Some people don't even look good on paper and still get hired, then they're really bad on the job, cost the service millions, immediately request not to do nights, miss several weeks of work in a row, etc. Blows my mind.
How can that be? The first thing they ask you is are you able to do nights and obviously being a police officer you have to work nights. How do these people get in.

whats your idea of not looking good on paper. If they don’t look go on paper again how did they make it?

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:43 am

whatamiseeing wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:53 am
Slovak4188 wrote:
GloQc wrote:

Don't kid yourself.

How can that be? The first thing they ask you is are you able to do nights and obviously being a police officer you have to work nights. How do these people get in.

whats your idea of not looking good on paper. If they don’t look go on paper again how did they make it?

Called accommodation probably for child care. Super easy.

Just tell them what they wanna hear :)

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:46 am

whatamiseeing wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:
GloQc wrote:

Don't kid yourself.

I'm sure other members whom have served longer than me can back me up on this, but sometimes, optics are more important than quality, at least that's the way it seems when dealing with the local politicians.

I have seen things that don't make any sense and shouldn't be allowed to happen, but it's the way of the world nowadays. At the end of the day, it's a government job and there will always be people whom get in and abuse the system.

My idea of not looking good on paper? Being a twenty something year old whom has no work experience, whose greatest challenge in life was whether to wear Reebok or Nike shoes to gym class.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:11 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:46 am
whatamiseeing wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

Don't kid yourself.

I'm sure other members whom have served longer than me can back me up on this, but sometimes, optics are more important than quality, at least that's the way it seems when dealing with the local politicians.

I have seen things that don't make any sense and shouldn't be allowed to happen, but it's the way of the world nowadays. At the end of the day, it's a government job and there will always be people whom get in and abuse the system.

My idea of not looking good on paper? Being a twenty something year old whom has no work experience, whose greatest challenge in life was whether to wear Reebok or Nike shoes to gym class.
Absolutly true... at least from my standpoint, granted not policing but otherwise. Optics for a multicultural city like Toronto is paramount, so to say that it doesn't come to play when deciding would be foolish. There have been several people hired in my job that were completely incapable, and demonstrated that fact over and over in training, but yet remained for one reason or another... either for investment in the recruit or otherwise