Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
azims
Veteran Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby azims » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:43 pm

A.T.R. wrote:
North of 60 wrote:
AnotherBeginning wrote:Mack, when I read your posts I get the distinct feeling you were a security guard somewhere who thinks that it corresponds to being a cop.

We are all on the same team with pretty much the same training give or take a few use of force options. We all have each others back.

Do you have a head injury???

I thought that he was being sarcastic ..... was he ? I hope so ...

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:51 am

Last edited by Regular Guy on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:12 am

In all fairness, and at the risk of being flamed, Mack, being in security, has made some decent points about working security being valuable experience. It can be. The problem was his delivery. Saying one in security has "dealt" with domestics and the like is a reach. Articulation is the key here. I say this as one who worked security. If one uses those experiences, and pays attention to police while they do their thing, you can find an extremely valuable learning tool.

When I did alarm response, I met some really decent officers from all over (Hamilton, Toronto, Peel, Waterloo, etc) who, when they had time, would discuss things with me. Even just watching them do what they do, I picked up on officer safety, notes, etc.. If one does hospital security, you come into contact with police regularly and, if you don't act like a wannabe schmuck, many officers will be pretty encouraging and informative. Many have great ideas on how to physically and mentally prepare for applying, especially the more open junior officers who like to give the benefit of their experiences. Some may even offer to help mentor you through interviews and the rest of the process.

Security can be good partners with police, if they understand their role, work at being professional and earn the trust of the police in their area. On the flip side, if police treat security with a bit of respect, they will never know when they might need them. I've always been chill with the security I've met after I became a special and, as a result, they've come running when they felt I needed help. Granted the ones I dealt with were really decent people and quite professional, but you get my point. I've worked with people who are specials and came from security who then look down their noses at security and it's kinda disgusting to see. Actually, it is disgusting and there's zero excuse for it.

Everyone is a squirrel trying to get a nut.

Sorry to have given a couple more whacks to the horse. I think this needs to revert back to the TPS process.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:37 pm

So getting back on topic:

with the recent blip in crime and stories in the news highlighting the shortage of actual man/woman power on the street, what do you guys think is the likelyhood of the intake numbers being increased?

Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:47 pm

futuretps41 wrote:So getting back on topic:

with the recent blip in crime and stories in the news highlighting the shortage of actual man/woman power on the street, what do you guys think is the likelyhood of the intake numbers being increased?

Increasing the intake numbers from the class sizes released in the budget? Is that allowed? Wouldn't that mean they would go over the budget? No idea how that works...
Border Services Officer

Diatomic
Rookie Member

Postby Diatomic » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:02 pm

futuretps41 wrote:So getting back on topic:

There's no money. So I don't think so.

Redfields Apprentice
Seasoned Member

Postby Redfields Apprentice » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:09 pm

TPS and many other outfits are hiring for attrition only. (Projected and actual annual retirements / those that leave the job).

My outfit hasn't hired a new copper in years; only replacing those that retire/leave.
Meathead1 wrote:Now go pay your ticket you fucking bag of dicks
A.T.R. wrote: I'll be blunt.

You're a fucking retard.

Please feel free to take a sample from the bowl of dicks on the way out.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:16 am

From what I read on the budget recommendation, they are hiring 16 for April, 45 for August and 79 for Decemeber of 2016. Looks like they are just hiring for attrition. On the other hand I have a buddy who works for TPS and he was telling me how understaffed they are and that there was only 4 cars patrolling a high crime area.

I think they need to fix this civilian budget, there is -0.7% decease for uniformed officers for 2016 and a 9.4% increase for the civilian budget. I would like to think switching the budgets would make more sense. But that is just opinion.

kat_5889
Rookie Member

Postby kat_5889 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 am

I learned long time ago that being understaffed in a place of work is rarely a precursor to hiring more people, but rather expecting existing employees to pickup more work. There are ways around it - they can shift some duties around from the police officers to other employees, thus freeing them up.

But, we can all hope they realize that hiring more people is their best options :-)

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:57 am

Merry Christmas applicants. Best wishes that Santa brings some good numbers for next year's classes.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

North of 60
Veteran Member

Postby North of 60 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:45 pm

I think being a security guard should make it easier to be a policeman. Security guards have to deal with and resolve dangerous situations without all of the tacticool, militaristic gear. That ability alone should put them ahead of the other applicants. Just my two cents.

Rareform
Sage Member

Postby Rareform » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:17 pm

North of 60 wrote:I think being a security guard should make it easier to be a policeman. Security guards have to deal with and resolve dangerous situations without all of the tacticool, militaristic gear. That ability alone should put them ahead of the other applicants. Just my two cents.

Being a security guard won't get you an advantage. Even if you're doing something more hands-on with a larger variety of situations and getting involved with police on a regular basis - loss prevention, hospital security, event security - it's all about how you convey and articulate your experience and competencies. You could be a BC Sheriff or an RCMP officer and still fail to get hired by another service because you didn't articulate yourself properly.

This isn't to put down security at all, by the way. There are plenty of good and competent security workers who know their role and work within it.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 am

There is a lot of interesting... uh.. stuff.. in this thread.

Out of curiosity, does TPS hire auxiliaries frequently and is it a difficult process to become one? I hear it's quite competitive.

rangerDan
Rookie Member

Postby rangerDan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:52 am

I really do hope the numbers get better and they open up hiring soon.

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Last edited by azims on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.