Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Blue sky
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Blue sky » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 pm
Blue sky wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:39 pm
Z42A wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 am

Boots are a personal item, so it was decided long ago that officers would be responsible for getting their own. Several different brands are worn by staff, and vary greatly in price. Some of the more popular brands are Danner, Original S.W.A.T, 5.11, Oakley, Magnum Hi-Tec, Caterpillar, and others. So long as they meet all the requirements (ie. Black, over the ankle, CSA safety toe/shank, polishable leather, etc) then there are a load of options. You can check places like Marks Work Wearhouse or 9-1-1 Supply (online), but those are by no means the only places you can find them. Tell the shoe store what you're looking for, and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
If you're going to PEI, the Atlantic Police Academy kit shop has a great selection of appropriate boots, but might have to order them from the mainland if they don't have your size available.
Hi Matt, I checked lots of them online and they have all the requirements except puncture resistant steel plate for the sole. Do you have any idea?
I don't know where you've been looking...
I just spent a few minutes online on the 911 Supply and Marks Work Wearhouse sites, looking at boots (both duty boots and work boots). Although I admit I didn't check every boot, I literally stopped after the first 10 pages when I could not find a single style of boot that had a safety toe but DID NOT have a safety sole of some sort. This leads me to suspect that if your boots are CSA approved, then they have both a safety toe and a safety plate in the sole.

Find some black boots that meet these requirements:

•black leather or synthetic fabric that can be polished
•black laces
•conventional style in keeping with the uniform
•high cut with ankle protection - approximately 6 inches (15 cm)
•sole of boot must be of a vulcanized lug-type pattern
•heel of boot cannot be more than 1.5 inches (4 cm) in height
•uppers must be silicone-tanned water-repellent leather
•toe protection made out of steel or composite material that meets CSA standards

and then I think you can quite safely and reasonably assume that they have a steel or composite puncture resistant plate in the sole. I promise that I won't have you take them off and run them through the X-Ray.
I got my answer. Thanks for your help.

Albertaguy123
Rookie Member

Postby Albertaguy123 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:56 pm

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and I just received an email saying that I will not be given further consideration as I did not obtain the pass mark for one or more of the following merit criteria. They listed demonstrating integrity and respect, thinking things through, working effectively with other and ability to communicate effectively. The email also said that they will be unable to respond to any requests for further information. I am hesitant to sends an email since the email said they are unable to respond to any request for further information. I am very confused and I’m not sure what does this exactly mean. I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light in terms of if this means that I failed my phone interview or the written references portion. I was also wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to re apply to csc due to failing this stage of the process. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 am

Albertaguy123 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:56 pm
I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and I just received an email saying that I will not be given further consideration as I did not obtain the pass mark for one or more of the following merit criteria. They listed demonstrating integrity and respect, thinking things through, working effectively with other and ability to communicate effectively. The email also said that they will be unable to respond to any requests for further information. I am hesitant to sends an email since the email said they are unable to respond to any request for further information. I am very confused and I’m not sure what does this exactly mean. I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light in terms of if this means that I failed my phone interview or the written references portion. I was also wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to re apply to csc due to failing this stage of the process. Thank you in advance for any replies.
To me, that sounds like your answers in your interview did not include the key things that they were looking for. Your replies to their questions didn't, in the interviewers opinion, demonstrate those qualities that they stated in their explanation to you. That doesn't have anything to do with your references.
Unless they told you that you were unable to reapply (deferral), then that option still exists. You'll have to start over from the beginning. If you choose to do so, you might want to do some research into the interview process, and how to answer questions in a behavioural interview.
Sorry to hear about your results. Good luck in whatever next step you choose to pursue.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 am

ygu31 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:52 pm
TheWei wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:29 pm
Hey guys, just got my invitation to the interview. It will be a telephone interview and I have never done one over the phone before, guess I will just do whatever I can to impress the interviewer, lol.

Also here's my timeline:

Invitation to SJT: Jan 25, 2021
SJT: Feb 11, 2021
SJT result: Mar 02, 2021
Invitation to interview: Apr 14, 2021
Interview: April 28, 2021
That’s pretty quick process :thumbsup:
Good luck on your interview :-)
Thanks man, interview is happening tomorrow, done all I can so fingers crossed ;)
Reference: May 03, 2021
TBS 330: May 10, 2021
Fingerprints request: May 25, 2021
Fingerprints taken: May 26, 2021

celticfigz17
Rookie Member

Postby celticfigz17 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Best of luck TheWei!

Which region are you from?

I did the SJT on April 16th in the Pacific Region so still waiting for the results.

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 pm

celticfigz17 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:20 pm
Best of luck TheWei!

Which region are you from?

I did the SJT on April 16th in the Pacific Region so still waiting for the results.
Hey celticfigz17! Thanks man, I am from Calgary, AB.

Best of luck to you as well!

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:40 am

Albertaguy123 wrote:
It is a pity that you did not make it this time, but I have strong faith that you will pass your interview on your 2nd attempt. I know you well enough and I am sure you are a very competitive candidate (even one of the most competitive candidates) in consider of your extensive working experiences, educations and volunteers in relevant fields.
Simply cheer up and I am looking forward to hearing your good news. Best luck to you :-)
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:21 pm

Hello again fellow CSC candidates and CSC staff!

I have started my re-application process after a two year deferral period. CSC recruitment already confirmed for me that I do not have to re-write the tests again, but I am unclear if I also get to bypass the first interview as well (I am not referring to the psych interview).

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

S

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:24 pm

Hey guys! Just finished my interview today, no idea if it’s good or bad since I have never done a phone interview before. The interviewers are very friendly and I am hoping for the best!

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm

TheSlav wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:21 pm
Hello again fellow CSC candidates and CSC staff!

I have started my re-application process after a two year deferral period. CSC recruitment already confirmed for me that I do not have to re-write the tests again, but I am unclear if I also get to bypass the first interview as well (I am not referring to the psych interview).

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

S
Best of luck to you!

Albertaguy123
Rookie Member

Postby Albertaguy123 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:12 am

Z42A wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 am
Albertaguy123 wrote:
To me, that sounds like your answers in your interview did not include the key things that they were looking for. Your replies to their questions didn't, in the interviewers opinion, demonstrate those qualities that they stated in their explanation to you. That doesn't have anything to do with your references.
Unless they told you that you were unable to reapply (deferral), then that option still exists. You'll have to start over from the beginning. If you choose to do so, you might want to do some research into the interview process, and how to answer questions in a behavioural interview.
Sorry to hear about your results. Good luck in whatever next step you choose to pursue.

Thank you very much for the reply Matt. Its still unclear to me if I have to wait 180 days to reapply again. Or, if am eligible to apply again right away? If I do have to wait 180 days, is it 180 days from my application date or 180 days from the time I was unsuccessful on the interview. ? Thanks

Albertaguy123
Rookie Member

Postby Albertaguy123 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:17 am

ygu31 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:40 am
Albertaguy123 wrote:
It is a pity that you did not make it this time, but I have strong faith that you will pass your interview on your 2nd attempt. I know you well enough and I am sure you are a very competitive candidate (even one of the most competitive candidates) in consider of your extensive working experiences, educations and volunteers in relevant fields.
Simply cheer up and I am looking forward to hearing your good news. Best luck to you :-)

Thanks for the support. I want to work for the Feds and I am going to keep trying. As I mentioned prior, I'm currently just trying to figure out if I can apply again right away or if I would have to wait for a period of 180 days.

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Albertaguy123 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:17 am
ygu31 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:40 am
Albertaguy123 wrote:

Thanks for the support. I want to work for the Feds and I am going to keep trying. As I mentioned prior, I'm currently just trying to figure out if I can apply again right away or if I would have to wait for a period of 180 days.
My wife also didn't pass her interview when she had it earlier this year. It happens. I've been unsuccessful in a number of interviews with other organizations and it stings hard. Eventually you hit a stride and the format becomes natural. If I hadn't been through the process with so many other organizations I wouldn't have been nearly as prepared for my interview with CSC.
Applied Oct 2019
CTP-3 April 14 2021

Bman86
Rookie Member

Postby Bman86 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Although I can't talk for feds. But alberta provincial is 180days from notice that are no longer considered in the competition. Found that out the hard way.
PRAIRE REGION (Central Alberta)

SJT : 8 FEB 2021
PHONE INTERVIEW : 09 MAR 2021
TBS 330-23 : 30 MAR 2021
FINGER PRINT REQUEST- 12 APRIL 2021
CTP1 INVITE - 15 JUNE 2021

olligrime
Rookie Member

Postby olligrime » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:50 am

ODIN wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm
MrHawkeye wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:14 pm
Anyone here do prior self defence or martial arts training before hitting the academy? I’m still a ways away from that stage but I want to start looking into getting some prior experience in self defence so I can be a bit more prepared for training. I used to do karate (ages ago) but that’s about all I have for formal training asides from fighting with my two brothers constantly.
I'm going to offer you this for consideration. CTP instructors want you to do what they teach you. Sometimes coming in with a background in martial arts or firearms can work against you. As you may have developed some bad habits. They do no care if you have hunted since you were 5 or rolled since high school. Do exactly what they tell you to do. If you truly want to come prepared then make sure your physical fitness is up, come in with solid cardio. If you come into training physically fit then the Self Defense/Arrest Control block will be much easier. Once you graduate and you wanna take up BJJ or some other grappling, go for it as they are the most applicable to this line of work.
I agree with your opinion and yes it will be better to improve your physical condition as well as endurance. Be sure that you are absolutely healthy. Complete your studying and go to BJJ training. It will be a good choice.
Last edited by olligrime on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.