Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
MrHawkeye
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MrHawkeye » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 pm

Going by my current timeline is it strange I haven’t been asked to do my fingerprinting yet? Last contact I had with CSC I sent them my forms and relevant documents they needed but there was no mention of fingerprints. I’m fairly certain my finger prints are already on file as I was in the middle of the process to volunteer with the RCMP victim services unit then COVID hit and put a damper on that. Is it possible they seen they already had access to my fingerprints or should I expect that to be my next step? I know that no news is good news but this is more just my curiosity getting the better of me
Federal Corrections
Application: 20/07
SJT: 20/12/09
Interview: 21/2/18
References: 21/2/25
TBS 330-23: 21/3/18

In My World it is Better to Ask For Permission, Rather than ask for Forgiveness.

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm

MrHawkeye wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 pm
Going by my current timeline is it strange I haven’t been asked to do my fingerprinting yet? Last contact I had with CSC I sent them my forms and relevant documents they needed but there was no mention of fingerprints. I’m fairly certain my finger prints are already on file as I was in the middle of the process to volunteer with the RCMP victim services unit then COVID hit and put a damper on that. Is it possible they seen they already had access to my fingerprints or should I expect that to be my next step? I know that no news is good news but this is more just my curiosity getting the better of me
Fingerprint is valid for 1 year so if it didn't pass 1 year it's still valid and they won't ask you to do it again.

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:41 am

BCApplicant88 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 pm
Z42A wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:38 am
Wheels11 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:43 pm
Hi all!

I've tried sifting through some posts but figured I'd make a new one asking my question about the security clearance. Not that I feel like I'd have any issues or anything to hide but I'm wondering if anyone was able to explain HOW I'm-depth it is? For example: I'm in my 30's now but job hopped a lot in my 20s. Based on relevance and the fact that I don't feel listing shorter employments where I was there and decided it wasn't for me a moving on is relevant, I've left them off my resume but a record of employment exists. For the clearance form when it says to mark down the last 10 years.. are things going to be looked into so in-depth that I'll be questioned if they look into records of employment and find jobs that aren't on my resume/the form?

As well for the credit check, I've heard of people having to jump through hoops explaining things on this. My credit isn't "poor" by credit bureau standards but isn't amazing either. What is being looked for here?
Though I can't speak specifically to the employment record check, as I'm in training not recruiting, I would say that being "selective" in filling out paperwork is, if anything, an indicator that perhaps you would exhibit that habit when writing a report. "Oh, I didn't feel that detail was relevant to the use of force incident, so I left it out, even though you asked for that information" sort of thing. They might not care that you spent a summer landscaping, but they might care that you chose to disregard the instructions for the forms. Then again, they might not.
As for credit checks... They are looking to see if you're in such a dire situation that you'd be what they deem to be a "risk of compromise".... in such a financial situation that you could conceivably be recruited to smuggle contraband into the institution. Nobody has great credit these days, but they do have a threshold they'd be looking for.
Hey Mr. Chinn,

Is it fair to assume, that if you're in the qualified pool that you passed the security clearance stage? I recently had to redo my fingerprints and Security Questionnaire and nothing substantial has changed since the last time I did it.
I personally would never say it's safe to assume anything with the process. We had a recruit who was halfway through CTP several years ago, and was removed from the firearms range when their background check uncovered associations with certain groups of motorcycle enthusiasts that made them ineligible for employment with us.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:44 am

Kingston33 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:04 pm
Please any update on when the next CTP3?
There are new classes that recently began in Abbotsford and Saskatoon. Four new CTP's begin in PEI in 2 weeks (they begin arriving for their isolation this weekend). Kingston's next round of classes begins shortly as well. All letters of offer for these classes would have been sent out approximately a month ago.

Expect the next round of classes to begin in September. Letters likely to be sent early to mid-august.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

BCApplicant88
Rookie Member

Postby BCApplicant88 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:59 am

Z42A wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:44 am
Kingston33 wrote:
There are new classes that recently began in Abbotsford and Saskatoon. Four new CTP's begin in PEI in 2 weeks (they begin arriving for their isolation this weekend). Kingston's next round of classes begins shortly as well. All letters of offer for these classes would have been sent out approximately a month ago.

Expect the next round of classes to begin in September. Letters likely to be sent early to mid-august.
Oh man, that's so depressing to hear. I applied at the end of June 2019 - I'll be hitting my 2 year mark with not a single solicitation of interest offer. COVID pandemic really threw a wrench into the process.

TBONE-182
Rookie Member

Postby TBONE-182 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:48 am

BCApplicant88 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:59 am
Z42A wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:44 am
Kingston33 wrote:

Oh man, that's so depressing to hear. I applied at the end of June 2019 - I'll be hitting my 2 year mark with not a single solicitation of interest offer. COVID pandemic really threw a wrench into the process.
Wow that seems like a longer than normal wait time, that's crazy. Being in the process myself I am learning that this is a huge waiting game. At least you are pretty much considered hired you are just waiting to be invited to training. Hopefully you get your invite in Aug for Sept.
Pacific Region
Applied June 2020
Online Questionnaire Sept 2020
SJT March 12 2021

Albertaguy123
Rookie Member

Postby Albertaguy123 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Last edited by Albertaguy123 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Hey guys, just got my invitation to the interview. It will be a telephone interview and I have never done one over the phone before, guess I will just do whatever I can to impress the interviewer, lol.

Also here's my timeline:

Invitation to SJT: Jan 25, 2021
SJT: Feb 11, 2021
SJT result: Mar 02, 2021
Invitation to interview: Apr 14, 2021
Interview: April 28, 2021
Reference: May 03, 2021
TBS 330: May 10, 2021
Fingerprints request: May 25, 2021
Fingerprints taken: May 26, 2021

RookieAlbertan
Rookie Member

Postby RookieAlbertan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi guys, who here is going to Kingston CTP 3 on May 11th for the May 13th to august 13th training.

Jchat060
Rookie Member

Postby Jchat060 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:34 am

RookieAlbertan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm
Hi guys, who here is going to Kingston CTP 3 on May 11th for the May 13th to august 13th training.
Hey, I was invited to participate in the upcoming CTP 3 starting May 13th in Kingston. The only thing is my medical was received by Health Canada on the 31st of last month and the recruitment team has yet to receive an update on that (as of this morning, they said they would inquire about it). Couple weeks ago I was offered a Conditional Letter of Offer for a position at the Edmonton Institution. This morning I got the Offer Letter which needs to be signed and emailed back to them.

Regards.

RookieAlbertan
Rookie Member

Postby RookieAlbertan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 am

Jchat060 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:34 am
RookieAlbertan wrote:
Hey, I was invited to participate in the upcoming CTP 3 starting May 13th in Kingston. The only thing is my medical was received by Health Canada on the 31st of last month and the recruitment team has yet to receive an update on that (as of this morning, they said they would inquire about it). Couple weeks ago I was offered a Conditional Letter of Offer for a position at the Edmonton Institution. This morning I got the Offer Letter which needs to be signed and emailed back to them.

Regards.

My medical copy was mailed to me. I also received the offer letter for Drumheller institution and I signed and emailed it back to them. I hope we can find more recruits that are going this May 13th and for it not to be postponed because of the lockdown. Im guessing after signing the offer, thats when they will send the assisgnments for ctp 2. Wish the may 13th for kingston recruits can all get in touch.

Jchat060
Rookie Member

Postby Jchat060 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 am

RookieAlbertan wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 am
Jchat060 wrote:
RookieAlbertan wrote:

Regards.

My medical copy was mailed to me. I also received the offer letter for Drumheller institution and I signed and emailed it back to them. I hope we can find more recruits that are going this May 13th and for it not to be postponed because of the lockdown. Im guessing after signing the offer, thats when they will send the assisgnments for ctp 2. Wish the may 13th for kingston recruits can all get in touch.
I'll be email back the offer letter for Edmonton Institution in the morning tomorrow, my medical forms were faxed by our family physician so I have the original forms. I'll wait to hear back from the recruitment team for any updates in the next couple of days before I reach out again. It would interesting to get in touch with others but I doubt enough know about this forum (I just made this account to respond to your post).

Regards.

RookieAlbertan
Rookie Member

Postby RookieAlbertan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 am

Jchat060 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 am
RookieAlbertan wrote:
Jchat060 wrote:

Regards.

I'll be email back the offer letter for Edmonton Institution in the morning tomorrow, my medical forms were faxed by our family physician so I have the original forms. I'll wait to hear back from the recruitment team for any updates in the next couple of days before I reach out again. It would interesting to get in touch with others but I doubt enough know about this forum (I just made this account to respond to your post).

Regards.
I created this account to see who else would be going to Kingston. Thanks for replying by the way. I was told they send the original to them. I hope you get your medical result already.

Jchat060
Rookie Member

Postby Jchat060 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 pm

RookieAlbertan wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 am
Jchat060 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 am
RookieAlbertan wrote:

Regards.
I created this account to see who else would be going to Kingston. Thanks for replying by the way. I was told they send the original to them. I hope you get your medical result already.
Called the Occupational Health Medical Officer this morning and she said they do not know if my file had been reviewed as of yet (said they're backlogged) and to call back in a week for an update. But they do have the assessment, so nothing can be done on my part except wait. And I'm sure once they review it, the results will go to the recruitment team.

MrHawkeye
Rookie Member

Postby MrHawkeye » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm

TheWei wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:29 pm
Hey guys, just got my invitation to the interview. It will be a telephone interview and I have never done one over the phone before, guess I will just do whatever I can to impress the interviewer, lol.

Also here's my timeline:

Man, I’m jealous of that timeline.
Federal Corrections
Application: 20/07
SJT: 20/12/09
Interview: 21/2/18
References: 21/2/25
TBS 330-23: 21/3/18

In My World it is Better to Ask For Permission, Rather than ask for Forgiveness.