Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
olligrime
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby olligrime » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:50 am

olligrime wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:50 am
ODIN wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm
MrHawkeye wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:14 pm
Anyone here do prior self defence or martial arts training before hitting the academy? I’m still a ways away from that stage but I want to start looking into getting some prior experience in self defence so I can be a bit more prepared for training. I used to do karate (ages ago) but that’s about all I have for formal training asides from fighting with my two brothers constantly.
I'm going to offer you this for consideration. CTP instructors want you to do what they teach you. Sometimes coming in with a background in martial arts or firearms can work against you. As you may have developed some bad habits. They do no care if you have hunted since you were 5 or rolled since high school. Do exactly what they tell you to do. If you truly want to come prepared then make sure your physical fitness is up, come in with solid cardio. If you come into training physically fit then the Self Defense/Arrest Control block will be much easier. Once you graduate and you wanna take up BJJ or some other grappling, go for it as they are the most applicable to this line of work.
I agree with your opinion and yes it will be better to improve your physical condition as well as endurance. Be sure that you are absolutely healthy. Complete your studying and go to BJJ training. It will be a good choice.

https://bjjbear.com/best-bjj-gi

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 am

Albertaguy123 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:12 am
Z42A wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 am
Albertaguy123 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:56 pm
I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and I just received an email saying that I will not be given further consideration as I did not obtain the pass mark for one or more of the following merit criteria. They listed demonstrating integrity and respect, thinking things through, working effectively with other and ability to communicate effectively. The email also said that they will be unable to respond to any requests for further information. I am hesitant to sends an email since the email said they are unable to respond to any request for further information. I am very confused and I’m not sure what does this exactly mean. I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light in terms of if this means that I failed my phone interview or the written references portion. I was also wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to re apply to csc due to failing this stage of the process. Thank you in advance for any replies.
To me, that sounds like your answers in your interview did not include the key things that they were looking for. Your replies to their questions didn't, in the interviewers opinion, demonstrate those qualities that they stated in their explanation to you. That doesn't have anything to do with your references.
Unless they told you that you were unable to reapply (deferral), then that option still exists. You'll have to start over from the beginning. If you choose to do so, you might want to do some research into the interview process, and how to answer questions in a behavioural interview.
Sorry to hear about your results. Good luck in whatever next step you choose to pursue.

Thank you very much for the reply Matt. Its still unclear to me if I have to wait 180 days to reapply again. Or, if am eligible to apply again right away? If I do have to wait 180 days, is it 180 days from my application date or 180 days from the time I was unsuccessful on the interview. ? Thanks
Confirmed with recruiting:
There is no minimum time before you can reapply after failing the interview.
There is a set time frame for re-application if you fail the psyche evaluation or SJT.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

CreeSon88
Rookie Member

Postby CreeSon88 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:03 pm

I as well failed the interview. Just received word today. My interview could have went better. Now I know exactly what to expect next time. If and when I decide to re-apply I will make sure the interview is not scheduled while I am working full-time and teaching Naval Reserve BMQ/BMOQ. I was supposed to have scheduled leave the day of the interview but my supervisor cancelled it and it was also too short of notice to change the date of the CSC interview. So I just went with it. Lesson learned. I have been in the military too long to be discouraged by this. I will not give up, I will be a CX-01!
Last edited by CreeSon88 on Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K.H95
Rookie Member

Postby K.H95 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm

When was your interview? Sorry to hear you didn’t pass. I had mine early April and haven’t heard back 😖

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:34 pm

CreeSon88 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:03 pm
I as well failed the interview. Just received word today. My interview could have went better. Now I know exactly what to expect next time. If and when I decide to re-apply I will make sure the interview is not scheduled while I am working full-time and teaching Naval Reserve BMQ/BMOQ. I was supposed to have scheduled leave the day of the interview but my supervisor cancelled it and it was also too short of notice to change the date of the CSC interview. So I just went with it. Lesson learned. I have been in the military too long to be discouraged by this. I will not give up, I will be a CX-01!
Sorry to hear that and don't give up. Lots of applicants were unsuccessful during their first attempt (failures at SJT, Interview, Psych evaluation), it is a competitive process. Keep applying, and you will eventually be successful. Your military experience is definitely a big asset during your application process.
Working with CSC is a treat and privilege to me, and it is better compare to my previous jobs in provincial. Don't give up, you will enjoy CX's work after getting hired. Looking forward to hearing your good news in a later day.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:00 pm

K.H95 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm
When was your interview? Sorry to hear you didn’t pass. I had mine early April and haven’t heard back 😖
Unless there was something that ended up in your junk mail folder, I'd say no news is good news. It's my understanding that people who are unsuccessful in the interview usually learn within a week or 2.

I don't want to get your hopes up but definitely don't be discouraged either.
Applied Oct 2019
CTP-3 April 14 2021

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 pm

CreeSon88 wrote:
Best of luck to you man! Still waiting for my interview result but I am already preparing for the second attempt, lol
Invitation to SJT: Jan 25, 2021
SJT: Feb 11, 2021
SJT result: Mar 02, 2021
Invitation to interview: Apr 14, 2021
Interview: April 28, 2021
Reference: May 03, 2021
TBS 330: May 10, 2021
Fingerprints request: May 25, 2021
Fingerprints taken: May 26, 2021

Serenity_now

Postby Serenity_now » Thu May 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Is the CTP similar to the RCMP Cadet Training Program at Depot?

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Serenity_now wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:25 pm
Similar in the vaguest sense of the word. You get a room that must be kept clean and is inspected. You eat in a dining hall. There are physical skill classes from self defence to drill to firearms and OC spray, as well as academic classes on law and policy, communications, user of force etc etc. You wear a uniform to class and have expectations to improve your fitness while you're here. However, we're different organizations, training for different jobs, with a different mandate and different traditions and ways of doing business.
Matt Chinn, CD

Serenity_now

Postby Serenity_now » Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Z42A wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Serenity_now wrote:
Similar in the vaguest sense of the word. You get a room that must be kept clean and is inspected. You eat in a dining hall. There are physical skill classes from self defence to drill to firearms and OC spray, as well as academic classes on law and policy, communications, user of force etc etc. You wear a uniform to class and have expectations to improve your fitness while you're here. However, we're different organizations, training for different jobs, with a different mandate and different traditions and ways of doing business.
Thanks for the reply Sgt. Chinn,
Is the attrition rate similar to that of the RCMP CTP?

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Fri May 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Serenity_now wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 pm
Z42A wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Serenity_now wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sgt. Chinn,
Is the attrition rate similar to that of the RCMP CTP?
Sgt isn't my rank, FYI. I'm a CX3. Sgt Maj is my position in the Guard of Honour. Just to clarify.

Not at all. The big difference between us and the RCMP as far as that goes is that CSC does not have the option to "backtroop" like the RCMP do. The RCMP will almost literally not release someone based on training failures. Instead, you will get backtrooped until you pass (ie. you are on Troop 5 and fail your benchmark testing on firearms to the point that you're falling behind the class. You'll get backtrooped into Troop 6, 7 or 8, who have not reached that point in training, and you'll do it again...and again...and again...until you pass that benchmark and continue). The longest I've heard of was a cadet who spent over a year in Depot, continually backtrooped until they graduated. The RCMP will release you on HIPCAR (Core values of Honesty, Integrity, Professionalism, Compassion, Accountability, Respect) violations immediately.
CSC has the "strike" policy, where you will be released after 3 total training assessment failures, or two failures on the same test, as well as "personal suitability" shortcomings, which is basically the same as HIPCAR. We do not backtroop. Therefore, we have a higher failure rate than the RCMP does.
Matt Chinn, CD

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Mon May 10, 2021 2:02 pm

So I’ve just got an email asking me to submit all the IDs and paperworks including the Personnel Screening Consent and Authorization Form.

Guess this means I passed the interview? :?: :?:

Edit: just contacted both of my references and they got an email as well so guess this is it! :D
Last edited by TheWei on Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Invitation to SJT: Jan 25, 2021
SJT: Feb 11, 2021
SJT result: Mar 02, 2021
Invitation to interview: Apr 14, 2021
Interview: April 28, 2021
Reference: May 03, 2021
TBS 330: May 10, 2021
Fingerprints request: May 25, 2021
Fingerprints taken: May 26, 2021

Dreambig
Rookie Member

Postby Dreambig » Tue May 11, 2021 9:45 am

ygu31 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:34 pm
CreeSon88 wrote:
Sorry to hear that and don't give up. Lots of applicants were unsuccessful during their first attempt (failures at SJT, Interview, Psych evaluation), it is a competitive process. Keep applying, and you will eventually be successful. Your military experience is definitely a big asset during your application process.
Working with CSC is a treat and privilege to me, and it is better compare to my previous jobs in provincial. Don't give up, you will enjoy CX's work after getting hired. Looking forward to hearing your good news in a later day.
Curious as to what the differences are that you've experienced working as a provincial CO versus a federal CO.

koko.695
Rookie Member

Postby koko.695 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Hey everyone! I’ve officially passed everything up to the in class training portion and I’m just waiting for that offer letter now!

Just wondering.. what does the in class training look like for Kingston right now? I think I read somewhere that everyone has to quarantine for two weeks prior.. is that done at home or are we having to go to the campus to quarantine? And we’re still not able to see our family throughout right?

I’m having a hard time knowing I’m not going to be able to see my family for so long. But it’ll obviously be worth it once it’s done.

Also any idea if we have the vaccination whether that might make a difference in going home on weekends or even just seeing family within the area?

Thanks so much!!

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 pm

koko.695 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:51 pm
Hey everyone! I’ve officially passed everything up to the in class training portion and I’m just waiting for that offer letter now!

Just wondering.. what does the in class training look like for Kingston right now? I think I read somewhere that everyone has to quarantine for two weeks prior.. is that done at home or are we having to go to the campus to quarantine? And we’re still not able to see our family throughout right?

I’m having a hard time knowing I’m not going to be able to see my family for so long. But it’ll obviously be worth it once it’s done.

Also any idea if we have the vaccination whether that might make a difference in going home on weekends or even just seeing family within the area?

Thanks so much!!
Congratulations.
Currently, you will be required to isolate at home for 14 days prior to arriving in Kingston.
After you arrive, you will be isolated at the NTA. Basically, aside from the training area, you'll have to stay in your accommodations for the duration of the 13 weeks. No leaving facility grounds. No in-person association with anyone outside your class, and likely limited to one class member during non-training hours. This includes evenings and weekends. No restaurants, bars, shopping malls, etc.
No, your vaccination will not change these requirements. Breaking the covid isolation regulations could lead to immediate release from the program.
You will receive information on all of this when you get a letter of offer.
Invest in a PlayStation 5 and some games now. You'll thank me later.
Matt Chinn, CD