Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Conair88
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Conair88 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:28 am

patmag25 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 pm
Anyone know if the Reebok Sublite Tactical - I6800 would be considered a good boot for CTP3?

The description for purchasing the boots for CTP3 is a tad vague unfortunately.

- Black leather or polishable synthetic fabric, shined at all times
-High cut including black laces with ankle protection approximately 6 inches
-Uppers will be of a silicone tanned water repellant leather
-Sole will be vulcanized lug type pattern
-Heal will not be more then 1.5 inches.

The main thing confusing me is the last guideline "conventional style in keeping with the uniform".

But black safety boots vary widely in appearance. Are the uppers meant to be entirely leather? Or can there be fabric between the leather like the Reebok Sublite Tactical. Having done security work for 3 years straight full leather boots wear my skin down notoriously!

I have looked at S.W.AT, Magnums, Vipers, Blundstones and they all have a very different appearance. SWAT boots have a ton of fabric between the leathers, so that's what confuses me. Is the entire boot supposed to be leather?

Any thoughts? Or actually, even better would be boot suggestions that would keep the instructors happy! 😁
That boots appearance looks fine to me. As long as it meets all the other safety requirements you would have no issue with that boot.

Hope that helps.
Acting CX-2
Pacific Institution

patmag25
Rookie Member

Postby patmag25 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:47 pm

@Conair88

Appreciate the feedback!

Thank you!
SJT: Sept 19, 2019

Interview: Feb 24, 2021

Fingerprints: Mar 5, 2021

Medical: Mar 12, 2021

CTP Stage 1: April 12, 2021

Psych Exam: April 20, 2021

Psych Interview: May 1, 2021

Passed CTP Stage 1: May 11, 2021

Offer of Employment: Kent, May 26, 2021

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 pm

patmag25 wrote:
Anyone know if the Reebok Sublite Tactical - I6800 would be considered a good boot for CTP3?

The main thing confusing me is the last guideline "conventional style in keeping with the uniform".

But black safety boots vary widely in appearance. Are the uppers meant to be entirely leather? Or can there be fabric between the leather like the Reebok Sublite Tactical. Having done security work for 3 years straight full leather boots wear my skin down notoriously!

I have looked at S.W.AT, Magnums, Vipers, Blundstones and they all have a very different appearance. SWAT boots have a ton of fabric between the leathers, so that's what confuses me. Is the entire boot supposed to be leather?

Any thoughts? Or actually, even better would be boot suggestions that would keep the instructors happy! 😁
Do they have steel or composite toe? if not then you cannot wear them.
been around a spell...

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:25 am

patmag25 wrote:

The entire boot does NOT have to be leather. Looking at these, they would be fine.
However, if they don't have a CSA approved safety toe/shank, then they are NOT approved for CTP or working inside the institution.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

patmag25
Rookie Member

Postby patmag25 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 am

Thank you Matt!

That info is very appreciated! The boots thankfully have a CSA approved composite toe.

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 am

patmag25 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 am
Thank you Matt!

That info is very appreciated! The boots thankfully have a CSA approved composite toe.
There you go. :thumbsup:

One thing that people often don't consider when choosing boots for working in corrections is the extra protection that all-leather provides.
After 18 years in the infantry, I totally get the desire for comfortable footwear. Nobody understands the need for good boots better than an infantryman. Having boots that are breathable and cool are also important and desirable. I still have my desert boots and wear them regularly in hot weather.
BUT...in corrections... you never know when you'll have to respond to a flooding cell or other area, where the toilet has been intentionally plugged and overflown (or multiple toilets), and you have to wade through ankle deep water, faeces, blood, semen and every other liquid or bodily fluid you can think of....
A full leather boot (especially if it's been kept polished/waterproofed) will provide better protection against those fluids than a boot with fabric panels that will absorb and leak more readily.
Just something for consideration.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

patmag25
Rookie Member

Postby patmag25 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:13 pm

I could only imagine the stories you would be able to tell around the dinner table! I appreciate the information and will definitely keep that in mind!

I have some serious horror stories when it comes to blisters during 12 hour shifts. So I am inclined to have comfortable, breathable boots and suffer through being soaked in the urine, feces, and water vs. being crippled lol.

Wish there was a perfect boot out there, but I have yet to find it lol.

Thanks again Matt, stay safe!

Truman
Rookie Member

Postby Truman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:55 am

Question,

I got my invitation to training on June 7th, 2021 for training on August 11th, 2021.
I responded that I was interested and they gave me confirmation.

How long does it usually take for the actual offer letter to come? Also I assume if you get the invitation to training that basically means you have secured a spot and are going to get an offer right?

hamza44288
Rookie Member

Postby hamza44288 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi guys I had a question I know this has been asked many times before but just wanted to know regarding my situation. I finished my CTP 1 on May 7th and had the psych interview on 15 May after that I haven't heard back from the recruiters anything. I know there's a waiting gap between CTP 1 and CTP 2. But I'm just curious if I passed my psych test or not also for my location of interest I chose prairie region since they told me they were hiring for it currently.

EdMaxCO
Rookie Member

Postby EdMaxCO » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 pm

thomasr15 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:38 pm
EdMaxCO wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18 am
ODIN wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am

This is pretty solid info, EI, Millhaven and Kent are very busy. That being said the 3 busiest mediums in the country all seem to be in PRA. PA, SMI and Drum are large populations with lots of gangs, so they are pretty busy. PRA region is rife with gangs, this tends to make things a little more sporty.
I'll only add that Edmonton has about 70 officers off for stress/ptsd and the vast majority will not be returning. That is over 1/4 of the roughly 250 compliment of CX-01 and 02. Info presented without opinion and for your consideration.
I'm currently in the process and my preferred location is Edmonton Max because I currently live in Edmonton (close to family and friends). This is definitely some information to consider.

How do you find the institution, co-workers, and overall work environment?

Thanks!
Well my experience is that the Max's are basically dumping grounds for other institutions problem inmates. So there's constantly inmates who are a drain on staff and resources because of how needy they are. I can't speak for the other Max's but Edmonton can be a difficult place at times. As for co-workers there's a mix of some very good officers who make the place better to lazy plugs who look to sluff off their work on the nearest rookie to borderline criminal behaviour by the occasional staff member. The environment is very negative. No other way to say it. The inmates are draining and exhausting to deal with. The vast majority from mental health cases to the "pop" cons whine and complain like toddlers. The level of emotional maturity must be similar to elementary or junior high school students. You'll quickly recognize the burn out look on a lot of staff's faces. The positives, different schedules to choose from as well as areas. Some schedules are strictly to living units and others are "static" lines. They primarily work the control posts, mobiles, catwalks, towers and some responder positions. You're going to see some things that you never could have imagined. The mental health aspect isn't addressed enough. Some of these inmates are seriously ill and the treatment they receive is sketchy at best. The self harm and attention getting behavior can be disturbing to see. Be prepared to occasionally have to throw your boots and uniforms right in the garbage after some shifts because you've stepped in something or been covered in something else. Hope that gives you an idea.
2008-2010 - CPO Calgary Correctional Center
2010-2011 - CX-01 Drumheller Institution
2011-2021 - CX-01 Edmonton Institution

paccx
Rookie Member

Postby paccx » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:16 pm

EdMaxCO wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
EdMaxCO wrote:

I'll only add that Edmonton has about 70 officers off for stress/ptsd and the vast majority will not be returning. That is over 1/4 of the roughly 250 compliment of CX-01 and 02. Info presented without opinion and for your consideration.
I'm currently in the process and my preferred location is Edmonton Max because I currently live in Edmonton (close to family and friends). This is definitely some information to consider.

Thanks!
Well my experience is that the Max's are basically dumping grounds for other institutions problem inmates. So there's constantly inmates who are a drain on staff and resources because of how needy they are. I can't speak for the other Max's but Edmonton can be a difficult place at times. As for co-workers there's a mix of some very good officers who make the place better to lazy plugs who look to sluff off their work on the nearest rookie to borderline criminal behaviour by the occasional staff member. The environment is very negative. No other way to say it. The inmates are draining and exhausting to deal with. The vast majority from mental health cases to the "pop" cons whine and complain like toddlers. The level of emotional maturity must be similar to elementary or junior high school students. You'll quickly recognize the burn out look on a lot of staff's faces. The positives, different schedules to choose from as well as areas. Some schedules are strictly to living units and others are "static" lines. They primarily work the control posts, mobiles, catwalks, towers and some responder positions. You're going to see some things that you never could have imagined. The mental health aspect isn't addressed enough. Some of these inmates are seriously ill and the treatment they receive is sketchy at best. The self harm and attention getting behavior can be disturbing to see. Be prepared to occasionally have to throw your boots and uniforms right in the garbage after some shifts because you've stepped in something or been covered in something else. Hope that gives you an idea.
One of the best posts I’ve read!

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm

EdMaxCO wrote:
thomasr15 wrote:
EdMaxCO wrote:

Thanks!
Definitely an eye-opener. Thanks!
SBSO PRA 05/2019 - 05/2020

CBSA SBSO Bridging
Applied/Competencies: 03/2020
PARE: 03/2021
Doc Verification: 08/2021
CFSC/CRFSC: 10/2021
Medical:
Psyc:
Security Clearance:
OITP:
Rigaud:

Truman
Rookie Member

Postby Truman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 pm

Truman wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:55 am
Question,

I got my invitation to training on June 7th, 2021 for training on August 11th, 2021.
I responded that I was interested and they gave me confirmation.

How long does it usually take for the actual offer letter to come? Also I assume if you get the invitation to training that basically means you have secured a spot and are going to get an offer right?
Never mind, received my official offer letter today, signed and sent back! Cant wait to go to training and join the team!

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:13 am

EdMaxCO wrote:
thomasr15 wrote:
EdMaxCO wrote:

Thanks!
Great post! Thanks for the in-depth knowledge.
CX-01
SJT: 2021.02.11
Interview: 2021.04.28
Fingerprints: 2021.05.26
Security Questionnaire: 2021.06.22
Medical Test Invitation: 2021.07.30
CTP-1 Started: 2021.08.10
Psych Test: 2021.08.31
CTP-1 Completed: 2021.09.02
Psych Interview:2021.09.03

Bman86
Rookie Member

Postby Bman86 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:48 am

Hell yeah ctp1 done and dusted... back to playing hurry up and wait.
PRAIRE REGION (Central Alberta)

SJT : 8 FEB 2021
PHONE INTERVIEW : 09 MAR 2021
TBS 330-23 : 30 MAR 2021
FINGER PRINT REQUEST- 12 APRIL 2021
CTP1 INVITE - 15 JUNE 2021
CTP1 COMPLETED - 28 JUNE 2021
MEDICAL - 3 AUG 2021
PSYCH EVAL - 13 AUG 2021