Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Z42A

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Z42A » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:19 am

Truman wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:11 am
Well ladies and gentlemen!

I received a conditional offer to Bowden Institute! (My first pick) I cannot be more excited!

Training is August 11th in Saskatoon! I had no idea they had a facility in Saskatoon and I was expecting to go to Kingston, but I love Saskatoon so that’s great, anybody heard anything about the Saskatoon training facility? Any pro tips for training?

So happy!
You'll be training at the Regional CLDC. You'll be staying in a local hotel, possibly on the other side of town (historically, they've used the Parktown hotel). Most likely, you'll get a bus pass to get from the hotel to the CLDC, and have to be sure to leave in time to get there in the morning (Parktown is about an hour bus ride). There are no meal facilities at the CLDC, and restaurants are too far away to go out and eat in the time frame allotted for lunch, especially without a vehicle... be prepared to be taking a cooler full of sandwiches from the hotel to class each day for 3 months. Firearms training is off-site, and quite a drive each day to get there. You won't have access to the training facility after hours to practice your skills, so be really attentive and utilize all the practice time given to you. You'll be subject to whatever COVID restrictions are in place for Saskatchewan.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:39 am

Z42A wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:50 pm
Security Inelegancy Officer?

Baaahahahahaha!
Love it!
88) 88) 88) 88)
good catch, and thanks, Matt for pointing that out. I didn't even notice that when I was typing. Hahaha, my kind of typing error, I guess I have only thumbs with no fingers on my hands when I am in front of the keyboard :D :D :D :D.
Will correct my entry on that post, feel sorry to all SIOs in this field :-)
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

MB CO 2013-2018
ON CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Ceremonial Guard

Mike101
Rookie Member

Postby Mike101 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Truman wrote:

I received a conditional offer to Bowden Institute! (My first pick) I cannot be more excited!

Training is August 11th in Saskatoon! I had no idea they had a facility in Saskatoon and I was expecting to go to Kingston, but I love Saskatoon so that’s great, anybody heard anything about the Saskatoon training facility? Any pro tips for training?

So happy!
Congratulations!!!
Happy day for you I’m sure :)

abhinarula89
Rookie Member

Postby abhinarula89 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 pm

Hello everyone,

Can someone guide me regarding what is involved in pre-employment medical. Just the regular vision, hearing and drug test or something more extensive?

Thx

Truman
Rookie Member

Postby Truman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 am

Z42A wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:19 am
Truman wrote:

So happy!
You'll be training at the Regional CLDC. You'll be staying in a local hotel, possibly on the other side of town (historically, they've used the Parktown hotel). Most likely, you'll get a bus pass to get from the hotel to the CLDC, and have to be sure to leave in time to get there in the morning (Parktown is about an hour bus ride). There are no meal facilities at the CLDC, and restaurants are too far away to go out and eat in the time frame allotted for lunch, especially without a vehicle... be prepared to be taking a cooler full of sandwiches from the hotel to class each day for 3 months. Firearms training is off-site, and quite a drive each day to get there. You won't have access to the training facility after hours to practice your skills, so be really attentive and utilize all the practice time given to you. You'll be subject to whatever COVID restrictions are in place for Saskatchewan.

Hey man, thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it. I have a couple more question for you regarding accommodations. How does food work since there isn't a dinning hall. do I get a per diem? and I assume with the working out everyone would share the hotel exercise room? Do room inspections still happen if its off site housing? (Tried PMing you but I wasn't sure if it went through!)

Thanks man! I cannot wait to go!

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:55 pm

Truman wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 am
Z42A wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:19 am
Truman wrote:

So happy!

Hey man, thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it. I have a couple more question for you regarding accommodations. How does food work since there isn't a dinning hall. do I get a per diem? and I assume with the working out everyone would share the hotel exercise room? Do room inspections still happen if its off site housing? (Tried PMing you but I wasn't sure if it went through!)

Thanks man! I cannot wait to go!
Perhaps I can be of assistance to provide some information on training in SK because I am currently there.

We are staying in a hotel that's about a 2 minute drive form the CLDC. Many of our class drove, those who didn't carpool with those that did. We each have our own hotel rooms, where we are provided a bagged breakfast. I opted to forego the breakfast because its almost 100% carbs and sugar and instead make oatmeal in my hotel room. Lunch is prepared and delivered to the CLDC by a contracted caterer, but on range days it is dropped off at the hotel and we take it with us to the range. Dinner is delivered to the hotel. Every now and then we just opt for something on our own depending on our mood or what is being served. I don't complain about the food but the stories our instructors have given us about the food they had during CTP made me envious of the buffet meals.

The hotel has a fitness facility but restrictions allow for one person to use it at a time, so it's available by reservation/wait list. We don't have access to any CSC training facilities outside of class time so we really have to absorb and make use of the instructors and practice time we're given during the day to ensure we learn the hands-on skills. We don't get a per diem for meals.

Congrats on your offer. I was given Bowden as well and I guess I'll be seeing you at the institution sometime in November.
CX-1 Probationary

patmag25
Rookie Member

Postby patmag25 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 am

Hello friends,

I am attending CTP 3 in Abbotsford on June 23rd. Can barely sit still I am that excited lol.

I will be staying at the Best Western in Abbotsford. I am flying in on June 21st, studying for the exam on June 22nd in my hotel room and then go to the CLDC on the 23rd.

However, I havent really received much info on how I actually get to the facility each day?

Anyone in here able to speak to what the facility, hotel, food times, is like in the Pacific region training facility. Or is it very similar to the previous asked question regarding Saskatoon CLDC? Thanks in advance!
SJT: Sept 19, 2019

Interview: Feb 24, 2021

Fingerprints: Mar 5, 2021

Medical: Mar 12, 2021

CTP Stage 1: April 12, 2021

Psych Exam: April 20, 2021

Psych Interview: May 1, 2021

Passed CTP Stage 1: May 11, 2021

Offer of Employment: Kent, May 26, 2021

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:26 pm

patmag25 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 am
Hello friends,

I am attending CTP 3 in Abbotsford on June 23rd. Can barely sit still I am that excited lol.

I will be staying at the Best Western in Abbotsford. I am flying in on June 21st, studying for the exam on June 22nd in my hotel room and then go to the CLDC on the 23rd.

However, I havent really received much info on how I actually get to the facility each day?

Anyone in here able to speak to what the facility, hotel, food times, is like in the Pacific region training facility. Or is it very similar to the previous asked question regarding Saskatoon CLDC? Thanks in advance!
All that information will be given to you as you approach your start date. As for transport to the CLDC, there's a significant likelihood that you will be able to carpool with a member of your cohort who drove. I don't know what your options would be if you couldn't do that.
CX-1 Probationary

Bman86
Rookie Member

Postby Bman86 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 pm

got the invite for CTP1 today, shits getting real.

question moving forward for people CTP3, given the current climate with the virus and what not, once in training am I correct that your in a closed bubble?

Interested to know how folks with family have been coping being effectively isolated away from wife/spouse/kids? has there been allowances for visits?

Im sure by the time I work through the process and my time comes, things would have likely changed again.
PRAIRE REGION (Central Alberta)

SJT : 8 FEB 2021
PHONE INTERVIEW : 09 MAR 2021
TBS 330-23 : 30 MAR 2021
FINGER PRINT REQUEST- 12 APRIL 2021
CTP1 INVITE - 15 JUNE 2021
CTP1 COMPLETED - 28 JUNE 2021
MEDICAL - 3 AUG 2021
PSYCH EVAL - 13 AUG 2021

EdMaxCO
Rookie Member

Postby EdMaxCO » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18 am

ODIN wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am
EdMaxCO wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:09 pm
patmag25 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:18 pm
Hey guys and gals!

Well today was the day of DAYS! I received my offer of employment for CSC-CX1 position for Kent Institution! Off to the Academy for June 21st in Abbotsford, B.C!

Wrote my SJT on September 19th, 2019, and received the offer on May 26th, 2021. What a long but incredibly worth it process! I wish you all luck for those in varying stages, just knuckle down, keep your records clean and play the waiting game!

So EXCITED to join the thin silver line!!!!!
Kent, Edmonton and Millhaven are generally the busiest institutions in the country. Be prepared, especially as the new guy, to "volunteer" for overtime and shift extensions. Expect frequent outside hospital posts, posts on the living units, etc. My two cents, as the new guy, you should volunteer for the shit jobs when they come up. Incident right before end of shift? Volunteer to go in the ambulance. When the CM's radio about modifiying the routine due to staff shortage, call and ask how you can help. It goes a long way to establishing a good work reputation. You're going to see things that defy imagination. At least I did. I wish I'd kept a journal about the wild things I've seen. Eventually they just roll into each other and don't shock you anymore. Be sure to take good care of your mental health. The job will wear you down and you won't even know it. You will absolutley gain more experience working in a max for 5 years than working in most mediums for 15 or more.
This is pretty solid info, EI, Millhaven and Kent are very busy. That being said the 3 busiest mediums in the country all seem to be in PRA. PA, SMI and Drum are large populations with lots of gangs, so they are pretty busy. PRA region is rife with gangs, this tends to make things a little more sporty.
I'll only add that Edmonton has about 70 officers off for stress/ptsd and the vast majority will not be returning. That is over 1/4 of the roughly 250 compliment of CX-01 and 02. Info presented without opinion and for your consideration.
2008-2010 - CPO Calgary Correctional Center
2010-2011 - CX-01 Drumheller Institution
2011-2021 - CX-01 Edmonton Institution

Yyc.recruit
Rookie Member

Postby Yyc.recruit » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi All,

I think I have been through every stage now except for the medical (including Stage 1 Training). Can anyone who knows about the medical shed some light on the process? My family doctor can take a while to get in with so I’m wondering if I should book an appointment just in case so I am all set. If it is a very quick appointment I can probably just see one of the walk-in doctors.

Thanks!

Mike101
Rookie Member

Postby Mike101 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:43 pm

Yyc.recruit wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:54 pm
Hi All,

I think I have been through every stage now except for the medical (including Stage 1 Training). Can anyone who knows about the medical shed some light on the process? My family doctor can take a while to get in with so I’m wondering if I should book an appointment just in case so I am all set. If it is a very quick appointment I can probably just see one of the walk-in doctors.

Thanks!
Once you reach the pre-placement medical stage they will reach out with instructions through email.
Typically someone from PSOHP will reach out to book an appointment… the appointment is with someone from Health Canada.
There is the option to go through your own doctor if you wish but I believe it would add time to the process as Health Canada would still need to sign off on their findings.

Mike101
Rookie Member

Postby Mike101 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:51 pm

EdMaxCO wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18 am
ODIN wrote:
EdMaxCO wrote:

Kent, Edmonton and Millhaven are generally the busiest institutions in the country. Be prepared, especially as the new guy, to "volunteer" for overtime and shift extensions. Expect frequent outside hospital posts, posts on the living units, etc. My two cents, as the new guy, you should volunteer for the shit jobs when they come up. Incident right before end of shift? Volunteer to go in the ambulance. When the CM's radio about modifiying the routine due to staff shortage, call and ask how you can help. It goes a long way to establishing a good work reputation. You're going to see things that defy imagination. At least I did. I wish I'd kept a journal about the wild things I've seen. Eventually they just roll into each other and don't shock you anymore. Be sure to take good care of your mental health. The job will wear you down and you won't even know it. You will absolutley gain more experience working in a max for 5 years than working in most mediums for 15 or more.
This is pretty solid info, EI, Millhaven and Kent are very busy. That being said the 3 busiest mediums in the country all seem to be in PRA. PA, SMI and Drum are large populations with lots of gangs, so they are pretty busy. PRA region is rife with gangs, this tends to make things a little more sporty.
I'll only add that Edmonton has about 70 officers off for stress/ptsd and the vast majority will not be returning. That is over 1/4 of the roughly 250 compliment of CX-01 and 02. Info presented without opinion and for your consideration.
Would you say those are typical numbers of any max or is Edmonton a different breed of max.

patmag25
Rookie Member

Postby patmag25 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Anyone know if the Reebok Sublite Tactical - I6800 would be considered a good boot for CTP3?

The description for purchasing the boots for CTP3 is a tad vague unfortunately.

- Black leather or polishable synthetic fabric, shined at all times
-High cut including black laces with ankle protection approximately 6 inches
-Uppers will be of a silicone tanned water repellant leather
-Sole will be vulcanized lug type pattern
-Heal will not be more then 1.5 inches.

The main thing confusing me is the last guideline "conventional style in keeping with the uniform".

But black safety boots vary widely in appearance. Are the uppers meant to be entirely leather? Or can there be fabric between the leather like the Reebok Sublite Tactical. Having done security work for 3 years straight full leather boots wear my skin down notoriously!

I have looked at S.W.AT, Magnums, Vipers, Blundstones and they all have a very different appearance. SWAT boots have a ton of fabric between the leathers, so that's what confuses me. Is the entire boot supposed to be leather?

Any thoughts? Or actually, even better would be boot suggestions that would keep the instructors happy! 😁
SJT: Sept 19, 2019

Interview: Feb 24, 2021

Fingerprints: Mar 5, 2021

Medical: Mar 12, 2021

CTP Stage 1: April 12, 2021

Psych Exam: April 20, 2021

Psych Interview: May 1, 2021

Passed CTP Stage 1: May 11, 2021

Offer of Employment: Kent, May 26, 2021

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:38 pm

EdMaxCO wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18 am
ODIN wrote:
EdMaxCO wrote:

I'm currently in the process and my preferred location is Edmonton Max because I currently live in Edmonton (close to family and friends). This is definitely some information to consider.

How do you find the institution, co-workers, and overall work environment?

Thanks!
SBSO PRA 05/2019 - 05/2020

CBSA SBSO Bridging
Applied/Competencies: 03/2020
PARE: 03/2021
Doc Verification: 08/2021
CFSC/CRFSC: 10/2021
Medical:
Psyc:
Security Clearance:
OITP:
Rigaud: