Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Z42A

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Z42A » Tue May 18, 2021 9:32 am

I'm not going to reply with quotes to all of the posts about firearms recently, as there are way too many. All bring up valid points. Here's my 2 cents as a CSC firearms trainer:

If you're coming into CTP for the first time, and have no firearms experience - don't sweat it. We prefer you over all other levels of recruit. You're a blank slate, and we can work with you easily without having to override or ignore previous experience or "training scars". Listen to what you're told, use every minute of available practice time to PRACTICE, and employ the skills we describe to you when you're on the live range. 90% of shooting is mental, and if you're already panicking about it, you're setting yourself up to fail. Relax, and don't even think about it until you're at the range.

If you are coming into CTP with previous experience (military, other agencies, airsoft, hunting, IPSC etc) - don't unlearn what you know, but be prepared to set it aside and absorb what we tell you. I'll be the first to admit that there are manipulation drills out there that are possibly more efficient or effective than those taught by CSC. However, we as instructors are mandated to teach the CSC curriculum. I don't care what you learned in the military how to clear a double fed round from your C-7.... I went through the exact same training and still have to remind myself what drill to teach when doing a class... if you do military drills on a CSC range, you'll be unsuccessful in passing. It's the same as doing CSC drills on a DND range (imagine how your Sgt would react if they saw you peering down the barrel of your rifle, for example...). Learn the drills the way they're taught here, and use them. As for shooting...listen to what we tell you. You'll learn something. I guarantee it. Everyone has to set aside their egos. I know a lot of stuff about shooting, but I learn from other trainers and even the recruits every time we go out to shoot. You should as well.

If you're coming BACK to CTP following a previous release for training failure on firearms: Yes, this is an appropriate time to go get your PAL/RPAL, buy a firearm, and go practice. IT'S NOT MANDATORY but will probably help. If you're not able to, don't sweat it. Try to employ everything that we taught you your first time around, and build those skills up. If it was manipulation, remember how we learn...by mind numbing repetition. Don't just practice the skill until you get it right...practice it until you can't get it wrong. Use an "air rifle" (not a BB gun....more like an air guitar) to go over your drills. You don't need a gun in your hand to go through the motions of "look, tap, rack, reassess". Heck, I've been out of the army for 11 years and can still do my C-6 drills because of the thousands of times I've gone through them, both real and just miming the actions. If accuracy was your issue...go shoot if you're able to. Remember, getting your PAL/RPAL does NOT require you to even load a live round, let alone to actually shoot. That comes after you get the license. Marksmanship techniques are all built off the same foundations, though they're sometimes explained differently. Go to a range and ask the staff for assistance. Most would be happy to help you get better. That's better than just going shooting without someone to offer advice, though even that will help. Even using a BB gun / airsoft will help (possibly even more, as the slower muzzle velocity will help you with your follow through).

Everyone has an opinion on firearms and how to train. That's evident just looking through the posts here, and the valid yet varied opinions expressed.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:29 pm

abhinarula89 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am
Hello Everyone

I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow. Can someone advise me what type of interview questions are asked. I read the core competency pdf sent with the invitation but what type of questions should I expect. Also, how many questions are generally asked during the interview.?
Not going to be the answer you want but no one will (should) post anything close enough to the questions here for you. They will likely be based off listed qualifications and those competencies.

patmag25
Rookie Member

Kent Institution

Postby patmag25 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Hey guys!

I received my email of interest regarding the Kent Institution, on Friday, May 14th. I replied back that I would take it! 2 years in this process, I will go anywhere! :)

I am now just waiting on receiving the official Offer of Employment email, TOUCH WOOD that I get it!

The email I received stated that Stage 3 which is running at the CLDC in Abbotsford, British Columbia from June 23, 2021 to September 23, 2021.

Anyone in here going to potentially be in that class?

If so reach out to me! If I get the Offer of Employment I am coming from Ontario! Let's chat ahead of time!

Thanks,

Patrick
SJT: Sept 19, 2019

Interview: Feb 24, 2021

Fingerprints: Mar 5, 2021

Medical: Mar 12, 2021

CTP Stage 1: April 12, 2021

Psych Exam: April 20, 2021

Psych Interview: May 1, 2021

Passed CTP Stage 1: May 11, 2021

Offer of Employment: Kent, May 26, 2021

ygu31
Veteran Member

Re: Kent Institution

Postby ygu31 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:47 pm

patmag25 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 pm
Hey guys!

I received my email of interest regarding the Kent Institution, on Friday, May 14th. I replied back that I would take it! 2 years in this process, I will go anywhere! :)

I am now just waiting on receiving the official Offer of Employment email, TOUCH WOOD that I get it!

The email I received stated that Stage 3 which is running at the CLDC in Abbotsford, British Columbia from June 23, 2021 to September 23, 2021.

Anyone in here going to potentially be in that class?

If so reach out to me! If I get the Offer of Employment I am coming from Ontario! Let's chat ahead of time!

Thanks,

Patrick
Congrats, and welcome on board:-)
If you love OT, Kent is the right place, they have the most OT hrs in Pacific Region.
Congrats and enjoy your CTP3.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

MB CO 2013-2018
ON CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Ceremonial Guard

Kingston33
Rookie Member

Postby Kingston33 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 pm

Just I am getting curious and nervous about the firearms
The one week for firearms training and exams is it enough for someone never touched firearms?

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Kingston33 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 pm
The one week for firearms training and exams is it enough for someone never touched firearms?
The instructors are very good at what they do. Ask questions, seek advice, they will help you.
CX-1 Probationary

celticfigz
Rookie Member

Postby celticfigz » Tue May 18, 2021 10:57 pm

Has anyone got their results for the April sitting of the SJT in Abbotsford?

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 am

Kingston33 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 pm
We have far more recruits who have never touched a firearm than we do who are experienced shooters.
Regardless of how many have experience of any sort, the course is taught to the lowest common denominator, which is someone who has never touched a firearm.
Even if we have recruits who served in special forces, we still start from the very very beginning.
Stop sweating about it. Focus on things you can control, like studying your Stage 2 materials and learning laws and policies.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Tupp
Rookie Member

Postby Tupp » Thu May 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Had my interview May 17th. Pretty sure they are working on the reference check. Getting excited. Can't wait for results. :D such a long process.

Bman86
Rookie Member

Postby Bman86 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Tupp wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:41 pm
Had my interview May 17th. Pretty sure they are working on the reference check. Getting excited. Can't wait for results. :D such a long process.
Sure is. I had my interview back in early march, things moved steady until mid April.
I had my TBS and fingerprint request. Has been radio silence since.

I took a casual gig for RCMP and had to do the same Treasury Board security clearance and was told that's a 3 month (average) wait time. So I can only guess its the same/similar for CSC.

All we can do is hurry up and wait at this stage.
PRAIRE REGION (Central Alberta)

SJT : 8 FEB 2021
PHONE INTERVIEW : 09 MAR 2021
TBS 330-23 : 30 MAR 2021
FINGER PRINT REQUEST- 12 APRIL 2021
CTP1 INVITE - 15 JUNE 2021
CTP1 COMPLETED - 28 JUNE 2021
MEDICAL - 3 AUG 2021
PSYCH EVAL - 13 AUG 2021

Tupp
Rookie Member

Postby Tupp » Fri May 21, 2021 10:43 am

Bman86 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:07 pm
Tupp wrote:
Sure is. I had my interview back in early march, things moved steady until mid April.

I took a casual gig for RCMP and had to do the same Treasury Board security clearance and was told that's a 3 month (average) wait time. So I can only guess its the same/similar for CSC.

You are from the prairie region as well. Which facilities have you applied to? I have only applied for the Edmonton facility. Also what is TBS?

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Tupp wrote:
I did mine on April 28th and got the result May 10th, but found out later they actually contacted my references on May 3rd. If you are worried just shot your references a message or email. And TBS is the form you sign so they can do your background/criminal check, cheers!
CX-01
SJT: 2021.02.11
Interview: 2021.04.28
Fingerprints: 2021.05.26
Security Questionnaire: 2021.06.22
Medical Test Invitation: 2021.07.30
CTP-1 Started: 2021.08.10
Psych Test: 2021.08.31
CTP-1 Completed: 2021.09.02
Psych Interview:2021.09.03

Bman86
Rookie Member

Postby Bman86 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Tupp wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:43 am
Bman86 wrote:
Tupp wrote:

You are from the prairie region as well. Which facilities have you applied to? I have only applied for the Edmonton facility. Also what is TBS?
Hoping for bowden mainly for location, not real keen on uprooting the ol family. Wife has a pretty good career here too, which would be hard for her to walk away from and start over.

MEDICAL - 3 AUG 2021
PSYCH EVAL - 13 AUG 2021

Tupp
Rookie Member

Postby Tupp » Fri May 21, 2021 10:38 pm

Bman86 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Tupp wrote:
Bman86 wrote:

Hoping for bowden mainly for location, not real keen on uprooting the ol family. Wife has a pretty good career here too, which would be hard for her to walk away from and start over.

Looks like it is taking around 2-4 weeks for results for the phone interview.
I'm the same way. Hope to keep the family around edmonton area. What is the medical all about?
I'm scheduled to do my restricted PAL soon

Bman86
Rookie Member

Postby Bman86 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 pm

Tupp wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:38 pm
Bman86 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Tupp wrote:

Looks like it is taking around 2-4 weeks for results for the phone interview.
I'm the same way. Hope to keep the family around edmonton area. What is the medical all about?
I'm scheduled to do my restricted PAL soon
You don't really get "results" from the interview is my understanding, its either progress or be told no dice.

No idea what's involved in the medical. Likely just that your in reasonably good condition, no medical issues that would cause you to not be able to do your job. Id imagine there's a D&A thrown in for good measure. Possibly respiratory test and hearing. But that's all speculation on my end. Maybe someone else can chim in and clarify

MEDICAL - 3 AUG 2021
PSYCH EVAL - 13 AUG 2021