Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TheWei
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby TheWei » Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 pm

Z42A wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 pm
koko.695 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:51 pm
Hey everyone! I’ve officially passed everything up to the in class training portion and I’m just waiting for that offer letter now!

Just wondering.. what does the in class training look like for Kingston right now? I think I read somewhere that everyone has to quarantine for two weeks prior.. is that done at home or are we having to go to the campus to quarantine? And we’re still not able to see our family throughout right?

I’m having a hard time knowing I’m not going to be able to see my family for so long. But it’ll obviously be worth it once it’s done.

Also any idea if we have the vaccination whether that might make a difference in going home on weekends or even just seeing family within the area?

Thanks so much!!
Congratulations.
Currently, you will be required to isolate at home for 14 days prior to arriving in Kingston.
After you arrive, you will be isolated at the NTA. Basically, aside from the training area, you'll have to stay in your accommodations for the duration of the 13 weeks. No leaving facility grounds. No in-person association with anyone outside your class, and likely limited to one class member during non-training hours. This includes evenings and weekends. No restaurants, bars, shopping malls, etc.
No, your vaccination will not change these requirements. Breaking the covid isolation regulations could lead to immediate release from the program.
You will receive information on all of this when you get a letter of offer.
Invest in a PlayStation 5 and some games now. You'll thank me later.
Hi MR. Chinn, just wondering how's the internet connection at the training facilities? I have a mini PC that I can squeeze into a carry-on bag so just wondering if I am allowed to take it with me to the facility and play some games in my spare time. TIA
Invitation to SJT: Jan 25, 2021
SJT: Feb 11, 2021
SJT result: Mar 02, 2021
Invitation to interview: Apr 14, 2021
Interview: April 28, 2021
Reference: May 03, 2021
TBS 330: May 10, 2021
Fingerprints request: May 25, 2021
Fingerprints taken: May 26, 2021

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm

TheWei wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 pm
Z42A wrote:
koko.695 wrote:
Hey everyone! I’ve officially passed everything up to the in class training portion and I’m just waiting for that offer letter now!

Just wondering.. what does the in class training look like for Kingston right now? I think I read somewhere that everyone has to quarantine for two weeks prior.. is that done at home or are we having to go to the campus to quarantine? And we’re still not able to see our family throughout right?

I’m having a hard time knowing I’m not going to be able to see my family for so long. But it’ll obviously be worth it once it’s done.

Also any idea if we have the vaccination whether that might make a difference in going home on weekends or even just seeing family within the area?

Thanks so much!!
Congratulations.
Currently, you will be required to isolate at home for 14 days prior to arriving in Kingston.
After you arrive, you will be isolated at the NTA. Basically, aside from the training area, you'll have to stay in your accommodations for the duration of the 13 weeks. No leaving facility grounds. No in-person association with anyone outside your class, and likely limited to one class member during non-training hours. This includes evenings and weekends. No restaurants, bars, shopping malls, etc.
No, your vaccination will not change these requirements. Breaking the covid isolation regulations could lead to immediate release from the program.
Hi MR. Chinn, just wondering how's the internet connection at the training facilities? I have a mini PC that I can squeeze into a carry-on bag so just wondering if I am allowed to take it with me to the facility and play some games in my spare time. TIA

I could not speak for PEI training depot, but for Kingston training depot, you will have wifi with strong reception inside the residence, but it is unsecured wifi without password, suggest you use your own data plan if you want to do online banking or log onto your CRA account. For me, I increased my data plan to 50GB per month and never use wifi for cyber safety reason.

For your question about your mini-PC, I don't know if it is allowed or not in written policy, but when I was in Kingston, I knew one recruit had a desktop on his desk, and there was NO issue during room inspection.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm
TheWei wrote:
Z42A wrote:

Congratulations.

I could not speak for PEI training depot, but for Kingston training depot, you will have wifi with strong reception inside the residence, but it is unsecured wifi without password, suggest you use your own data plan if you want to do online banking or log onto your CRA account. For me, I increased my data plan to 50GB per month and never use wifi for cyber safety reason.

For your question about your mini-PC, I don't know if it is allowed or not in written policy, but when I was in Kingston, I knew one recruit had a desktop on his desk, and there was NO issue during room inspection.
Thanks so much ygu31! I will probably do the same thing for security reasons.

Amw9713
Rookie Member

Postby Amw9713 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:53 pm

I am a past recruit who failed on firearms (accuracy) during my first time at CTP. I am in the current pool of applicant for the open competition, ready to try again ! Does anyone have any advice for me going forward? Trying to get range practice during covid is very tough, and getting shooting lessons even harder at this time. I've been looking into getting a bb gun similar to the 9mm we use in training to practice and improve my accuracy. I know many people have suggested that recruits try and focus only on CSC firearms training, but given my negative experience with it, I can't help but to want to be as prepared as possible.

I've also been waiting for a PW competition competition open for over a year now , wondering if anyone has any info on when thay may open up again as well? Thanks in advance ☺

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat May 15, 2021 7:20 pm

Amw9713 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:53 pm
I am a past recruit who failed on firearms (accuracy) during my first time at CTP. I am in the current pool of applicant for the open competition, ready to try again ! Does anyone have any advice for me going forward? Trying to get range practice during covid is very tough, and getting shooting lessons even harder at this time. I've been looking into getting a bb gun similar to the 9mm we use in training to practice and improve my accuracy. I know many people have suggested that recruits try and focus only on CSC firearms training, but given my negative experience with it, I can't help but to want to be as prepared as possible.

I've also been waiting for a PW competition competition open for over a year now , wondering if anyone has any info on when thay may open up again as well? Thanks in advance ☺
I was nowhere close to being a Basic Firearms Instructor in the field, let alone FI at Depot, nor did I have pre-Depot firearms experience, but anything less than an actual firearm, let alone 9 mm, is hardly going to help you.

Work on your grip (squeeze strengthener, either dual handle, or the 4-finger style), breathing, staying calm and focused, and listening to instructions.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Round2
Rookie Member

Postby Round2 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:22 am

So after finishing my ctp1 online I get an email from CSC stating I was unsuccessful in my psych testing, requested a debrief from psych and received a call telling me that I was too bold and insensitive and my personal life was to private. I have a background in policing , personal lives have no place in a law career for safety reason, and I am sorry but from hearing from officers in a maximum security prison too many people who do not have the mindset to deal with stuff are being let in . Just my opinion I guess

Serenity_now

Postby Serenity_now » Sun May 16, 2021 2:47 pm

Round2 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:22 am
So after finishing my ctp1 online I get an email from CSC stating I was unsuccessful in my psych testing, requested a debrief from psych and received a call telling me that I was too bold and insensitive and my personal life was to private. I have a background in policing , personal lives have no place in a law career for safety reason, and I am sorry but from hearing from officers in a maximum security prison too many people who do not have the mindset to deal with stuff are being let in . Just my opinion I guess
I think that would be a red flag. Was your psych testing in person or over the phone ?

Round2
Rookie Member

Postby Round2 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Psyc test was in person, debrief was over the phone

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Serenity_now wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:47 pm
Round2 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:22 am
I think that would be a red flag. Was your psych testing in person or over the phone ?
I mean, if someone has previous law enforcement experience, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they expressed that sort of demeanour. The job tends to change people to varying degrees.
Applied Oct 2019
CTP-3 April 14 2021

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Mon May 17, 2021 10:02 am

TheWei wrote:
Z42A wrote:
koko.695 wrote:

Thanks so much!!
Congratulations.
WIFI connection is similar to any hotel you'd stay at (you are staying in a hotel in PEI, after all). I'm not sure if it's password protected, however.
No issue at all with having a laptop, desktop, playstation, etc in your room.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Mon May 17, 2021 10:57 am

Amw9713 wrote:

There is no substitute for the real thing, BB guns, Air pistols, SIM Trainers etc. I personally think that the best thing you can do is invest in yourself. Get your RPAL, buy a 9mm( there are lots out there in the 5-700$ range) Then look for a range in your in area and join. Obviously depending on where you live with Covid restrictions will affect whether you can go to the range or not. Even if you cannot, you can still practice dry firing and building good trigger control. As for instructors you may not be able to get a instructor with how things are, but if you wade through the junk online you can find some very good instructionals with world renowned Instructors. The reality is lets say you don't go practice and then you manage to scrape through training, you will be required to carry that sidearm in a variety of situations you will also be required to qualify every year with it. Shooting is a perishable skill, so in order to not lose that skill you must put the effort into not just passing training but thinking ahead to your career. So many members of CSC/RCMP/CBSA/ Municipal Police get that one yearly qualification completed and then don't shoot again till the next year. Its not a good practice.
:pistols: Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Mon May 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:02 am
TheWei wrote:
Z42A wrote:

Congratulations.
WIFI connection is similar to any hotel you'd stay at (you are staying in a hotel in PEI, after all). I'm not sure if it's password protected, however.
No issue at all with having a laptop, desktop, playstation, etc in your room.
Thanks Mr. Chinn!

TheWei
Rookie Member

Postby TheWei » Mon May 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Amw9713 wrote:

My advice would be to get your RPAL, buy a 9mm pistol from your local shop, buy some dummy rounds or snap caps and start dry firing. It’s a good way to build some muscle memory and also get a feel of the firearm in your hands.

You can also try different stances and grips while dry firing, there are many but personally I would suggest using the Isosceles Stance or the Fighting Stance. After that, if you could, find a instructor and go through a proper training course like the IPSC black badge or similar to get some more ideas on target shooting. And practice whenever you can with the skills you learnt so you won’t forget.

And Best of luck to you sir, I understand some people are not very comfortable around firearms but for this profession I guess you just need to work on it and somehow get used to it.

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Firearms can be a double edged sword when it comes to having previous experience.

On one hand, having previous experience may mean you are more safety conscious and have an understanding of the fundamentals so less time needs to be spent on addressing shooting techniques. The downside of that is that bad habits could be developed over time that need to be unlearned, which takes more time than training someone from scratch. There's also the possibility that people claiming to have experience act a bit arrogantly around their fellow compatriots who have zero experience and it's unprofessional. People with previous experience can also be overconfident, leading them to make mistakes.

On the other hand, someone with no previous experience can learn completely fresh and listen to all the instructions and learn the techniques without having to unlearn bad habits. The downside to that being that for people who have never even touched a firearm before, their safety awareness can be heart-attack inducing and they may very well crack under the slightest application of stress when performing drills. People get sent home regularly for poor safety and poor accuracy when it comes to firearms (though I have no idea what the spread is for experienced vs inexperienced)

As someone with previous experience as an armed guard, military reservist, civilian competitive shooter, and now going through CSC firearms training, the best thing you can do is leave all your "learned tricks" at the door and focus on doing the drills exactly how they want you to do them. Safety experience and grasping the fundamentals of proper shooting are definitely an asset, but as long as they're learned properly and you can apply them well. Do EVERYTHING the instructors tell you to do and don't try to skip ahead of them unless you want to tick them off or look like a dingus.
Applied Oct 2019
CTP-3 April 14 2021

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Amw9713 wrote:

I would personally say it depends on what part of CSC firearm qualification/test did you fail: shooting accuracy? safety manipulation? Or firearm written test portion (highly unlikely for anyone to fail this portion).

*** If you were unsuccessful on the shooting accuracy test (with live round), spending time in shooting range may help you improve.

***If you were unsuccessful on the firearm safety manipulation portion (with both dummy round and live round), I suggest you NOT to practice in the shooting range prior to CSC training depot, because you might develope wrong habit (should call it incompatible habit toward CSC fire manipulation expectation) and put effort for unlearning over learning. You can refer to this previous post if you were unsuccessful on the firearm safety manipulation portion and in debate of getting PAL or shoot range practice:

I would personally say having a PAL or having previous hunting/shooting experience could be both an advantage and a disadvantage. I had a long hunting history prior to the CTP, and I was struggling for unlearning over learning. That was because I developed lots of bad habits (or better to call it “different” habits) from my previous hunting history. I rather had no shooting experience before I stepped in to staff college. It took me a while to remove those habit from my muscle memory. I failed one of the shooting qualification because of my bad hunting habit and passed on my second attempt.

So yes, having PAL could be good as you have general ideas about P.R.O.V.E and A.C.T.S, but it is also important to follow EXACT what instructor’s says and to follow EXACT CSC’s specific firearm manipulations procedure. You will do both unlearning and learning from there.
Good luck to those who are already invited to CTP 3 and who are still waiting for invitations. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope this could help. Good luck :thumbsup:
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard