RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
sig1992
Regular Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby sig1992 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 am

Today marks 2 years since I entered the SC/DSU stage of the hiring process, not gonna sugar coat it, waiting for this SC has been stressful but it has also been very rewarding. I’ve reached a whole new level of physical fitness in preparation over these last 2 years, so I will have zero excuse to be physically unfit upon arrival at Depot. Really hoping things start to flow for everyone waiting on that last green light.

oxlemar
Regular Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:48 am
Location: NCR
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby oxlemar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:20 pm

sig1992 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 am
Today marks 2 years since I entered the SC/DSU stage of the hiring process, not gonna sugar coat it, waiting for this SC has been stressful but it has also been very rewarding. I’ve reached a whole new level of physical fitness in preparation over these last 2 years, so I will have zero excuse to be physically unfit upon arrival at Depot. Really hoping things start to flow for everyone waiting on that last green light.
That timeline never ceases to amaze me. Pretty crazy, but I've heard from the former Mounties within our service that a 2 year security clearance used to not be unheard of.

The pandemic must have an impact on Depot's ability to accommodate troops given the information in the video posted to their Youtube channel.

Glasgow
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Glasgow » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Hey all,

Keep up the wait its all worth it, today marks 7 weeks at DEPOT and the video was a great touch that the RCMP posted on how DEPOT is dealing with the pandemic. The long wait is well worth it.


good luck all

Glasgow

Pdl
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:16 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Pdl » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 pm

I finished my medical in January and underwent my psych exam in Edmonton on Feb 16th.

Since then I’ve got an email giving an update on recruitment during the pandemic, and last week, an email regarding a survey for applicants in the process.

Nothing definitive about whether I passed the psych exam, though. Do they typically give you a pass/fail email? Thanks.

sam89
Rookie Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby sam89 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:59 pm

Pdl wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 pm
I finished my medical in January and underwent my psych exam in Edmonton on Feb 16th.

Since then I’ve got an email giving an update on recruitment during the pandemic, and last week, an email regarding a survey for applicants in the process.

Nothing definitive about whether I passed the psych exam, though. Do they typically give you a pass/fail email? Thanks.
You will receive an email stating that you have been issued a Medical Clearance once they pass your medical and pysch.

AnnaKonarzewska
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:16 pm
Contact:

Failed Rpat

Postby AnnaKonarzewska » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:30 pm

I took my rpat exam today and I was so sure that I would pass. I only hesitated on just a few questions so when the final mark came back I was shocked. I also practiced exams at home and consistently received around 80 percent.
I wrote the 5 part exam with 50 questions together. I answered all the questions and went back to review some. On the last part number 5 while reviewing my answers I pressed the back and back button twice and at this time my answers went blank from being highlighted, meaning that they didn’t look like they were selected at all. At this point I am not sure if those last ten answers were added to my exam which would affect my score greatly. I am really disappointed because I really felt good about writing the exam and was quite sure of my answers but it ends up that I scored only 2.58 out of 5. Is this possible that I pressed something incorrectly and that the computer didn’t pick up the last 10 of my answers even though I had answered them ? I am going to be emailing the recruitment office about this to see if they can maybe check whether I had submitted 50 answers or just 40. I am just really disappointed... also, it says that I can write my next exam 6 months from today’s date, so does that mean that I can apply right away while I wait to be selected and once selected I will let the recruiter know whether I can write it or not, whether six months have passed since I last wrote the exam. Last time I had to wait almost six months from the time I had applied just to write the exam so I wonder if I can skip the extra waiting time on top of the 6 months. Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated ... so bummed right now I was so prepared and ready for this ! 😔

SComt0619
Rookie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:30 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby SComt0619 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Hey anyone in Ontario hear anything yet? I know that troop 39 graduates today. However, I am curious on everyone else’s file and where it stands. I did receive a different email saying that they are working from home but what does that mean for us in SC section? Thoughts anyone?
2019-06-11apply
2019-06-17received
2019-07-17recommended
2019-12-18RMAQ interview
2020-01-10RFI
2020-01-21recommended
2020-02-19Polygraph
2020-02-24recommended
2020-03-03medical
2020-03-17psychological
security clearance
Troop

Eagles1992
Regular Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Failed Rpat

Postby Eagles1992 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:46 pm

AnnaKonarzewska wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:30 pm
I took my rpat exam today and I was so sure that I would pass. I only hesitated on just a few questions so when the final mark came back I was shocked. I also practiced exams at home and consistently received around 80 percent.
I wrote the 5 part exam with 50 questions together. I answered all the questions and went back to review some. On the last part number 5 while reviewing my answers I pressed the back and back button twice and at this time my answers went blank from being highlighted, meaning that they didn’t look like they were selected at all. At this point I am not sure if those last ten answers were added to my exam which would affect my score greatly. I am really disappointed because I really felt good about writing the exam and was quite sure of my answers but it ends up that I scored only 2.58 out of 5. Is this possible that I pressed something incorrectly and that the computer didn’t pick up the last 10 of my answers even though I had answered them ? I am going to be emailing the recruitment office about this to see if they can maybe check whether I had submitted 50 answers or just 40. I am just really disappointed... also, it says that I can write my next exam 6 months from today’s date, so does that mean that I can apply right away while I wait to be selected and once selected I will let the recruiter know whether I can write it or not, whether six months have passed since I last wrote the exam. Last time I had to wait almost six months from the time I had applied just to write the exam so I wonder if I can skip the extra waiting time on top of the 6 months. Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated ... so bummed right now I was so prepared and ready for this ! 😔
From someone who failed the exam by one mark I know how you feel. However, I wouldn't protest the results. Check out police prep they have similar exams that can help you on your next attempt. Keep positive/motivated.

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Regular Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 pm

AnnaKonarzewska wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:30 pm
I took my rpat exam today and I was so sure that I would pass. I only hesitated on just a few questions so when the final mark came back I was shocked. I also practiced exams at home and consistently received around 80 percent.
I wrote the 5 part exam with 50 questions together. I answered all the questions and went back to review some. On the last part number 5 while reviewing my answers I pressed the back and back button twice and at this time my answers went blank from being highlighted, meaning that they didn’t look like they were selected at all. At this point I am not sure if those last ten answers were added to my exam which would affect my score greatly. I am really disappointed because I really felt good about writing the exam and was quite sure of my answers but it ends up that I scored only 2.58 out of 5. Is this possible that I pressed something incorrectly and that the computer didn’t pick up the last 10 of my answers even though I had answered them ? I am going to be emailing the recruitment office about this to see if they can maybe check whether I had submitted 50 answers or just 40. I am just really disappointed... also, it says that I can write my next exam 6 months from today’s date, so does that mean that I can apply right away while I wait to be selected and once selected I will let the recruiter know whether I can write it or not, whether six months have passed since I last wrote the exam. Last time I had to wait almost six months from the time I had applied just to write the exam so I wonder if I can skip the extra waiting time on top of the 6 months. Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated ... so bummed right now I was so prepared and ready for this ! 😔
Thought I'd jump here,

First off Anna, i'm sorry the RPAT didn't go as you expected. The RPAT is set up in five (5) sections each containing ten (10) questions. You have 15 minutes to questions in each section. Once the 15 minutes has elapsed or you go into the next section of questions you can not go back to a previous section. In order to move from one question to the next you must answer the question as well. So you can't move forward from one question to the next without marking an answer. A piece of advice I give test takers is to move quickly past questions you can't answer (with certainty) quickly and note them on the scrap paper you're given. Then once you've answered all the questions in that section to go back and look at questions you weren't sure about (assuming you have time).

You must wait six months from the day you wrote the test to re-apply. Please don't re-apply early as the application system will recognize you've applied too early and simply close your application. The recruiting office will not know about the application unless you happen to contact us and ask why we haven't contacted you in a while.

Timing on the RPAT is important, so you don't want to send 10 minutes answering two questions, you would rather answer 7 other questions then come back around to questions you're not sure about or that require more time. I've found this is generally an issue with those who aren't successful. I've also found folks for whom English is not a first language also have difficulties with the RPAT. So I usually suggest reading, reading and more reading. Spelling and grammer are normally easy points to collect on the RPAT.

There are some decent police exam prep books at the book store and libraries. If you are reviewing them, I tell applicants its really more about preparing to taking a timed test. Being able to eliminate bad answers and narrowing down your options. Instead of looking at 4 answers to a question you might only have to consider 2 then picking from those. This is especially true with questions you're not sure about.

Hopefully this is helpful for you
Imran

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Regular Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:41 pm

SComt0619 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:18 pm
Hey anyone in Ontario hear anything yet? I know that troop 39 graduates today. However, I am curious on everyone else’s file and where it stands. I did receive a different email saying that they are working from home but what does that mean for us in SC section? Thoughts anyone?
While I'm here I might as well throw up some info :D

My understanding is that there is a glute of applicant's waiting in the medical and security clearance stages. With ongoing issues around working from the offices, some of these folks simply can't access the secured databases to complete their work from home. Some secure databases can only be accessed from a secured facility ie the office. That means that the security clearance folks can't complete the necessary checks because they aren't allowed in the offices everyday. They may be rotating who goes into the office and prioritizing the checks that need to be done.

As for medical a lot of the same issues around not having full access to the offices comes up. The medical staff won't have your entire medical file electronically. A lot of the medical is done old school, with paper files!! I know it's amazing in the this day in each, but it's true. This likely has to do with protecting your medical information and not having it scanned into an electronic database.

We put through less then half of the number of applicants we wanted to through Depot this fiscal year ending March 31. So not great for us, but great news for applicant's because we're still hiring a massive amount of officers and that is going to continue. While I'm a lonely recruiter, with the covid vaccine coming online and more available I could potentially see us put more cadets through Depot that we have originally planned this fiscal year, just don't hold me to that.

So keep working, stay patient and keep working out hard!
Imran

2Tim2Shoes2
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby 2Tim2Shoes2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:29 pm

Hello everyone,

Sort of in a weird position at the moment and am just wondering if there are any recruiters or other knowledgeable members who could help me understand what happened to my application.

Basically to keep the story short, I applied a few months ago and saw my application rocket through the application process, then I did my Polygraph and didn't hear anything for about 2 months until I just recently got my deferral. No issues in the polygraph, was completely honest and did not disclose any new information. My confusion stems from the fact that my deferral doesn't even give a reason for the deferral, it just says:

"Your application for employment as a police officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has been reviewed and it has not been selected for further consideration."

Obviously the RCMP determined there was an issue with my polygraph I'm assuming? is there anyway I can get clarification from the RCMP on what happened with my application? Anyways I don't know if it really even matters anymore, and ill start my application with another agency tomorrow, but clarification would still be nice to have.

Thanks for any insight and good luck to everyone else!

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Regular Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 am

2Tim2Shoes2 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:29 pm
Hello everyone,

Sort of in a weird position at the moment and am just wondering if there are any recruiters or other knowledgeable members who could help me understand what happened to my application.

Basically to keep the story short, I applied a few months ago and saw my application rocket through the application process, then I did my Polygraph and didn't hear anything for about 2 months until I just recently got my deferral. No issues in the polygraph, was completely honest and did not disclose any new information. My confusion stems from the fact that my deferral doesn't even give a reason for the deferral, it just says:

"Your application for employment as a police officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has been reviewed and it has not been selected for further consideration."

Obviously the RCMP determined there was an issue with my polygraph I'm assuming? is there anyway I can get clarification from the RCMP on what happened with my application? Anyways I don't know if it really even matters anymore, and ill start my application with another agency tomorrow, but clarification would still be nice to have.

Thanks for any insight and good luck to everyone else!
Hi there, I'll throw this out there, but you want to be very careful accepting advice from members of this forum who going through the application process like you. Everyone is different and thus their application process is going to look different. Overall application timeline is 12-15 months. You may find you go through sections of the process quickly but overall you should expect it to take at least the 12 months.

Unfortunately I don't have a specific answer to your question but can offer some general thoughts. Just because you were completely honest on the polygraph does not necessarily mean we would accept your past behaviours. So if you have been involved in some activities in the past depending on what it was, recency, # of times it happened, we may decide that we can't continue your application and defer you. So not that this applies to you, but as a hypothetical if you have disclosed in the RMAQ and confirmed in the polygraph interview that you had used illegal drugs several times in the past, the last time being one year ago. While we would appreciate your honesty and being forthright about it, we may have concerns about the recency of usage, thus defer you. Again this is just a broad example to illustrate a point. We may have concerns about past behaviour, recency and their effect on an applicant's ability to make it through the rest of the process, leading to a deferral.


The RCMP will not get into specifics about the deferral beyond the letter you received and unfortunately there is no appeal process. Plenty of our applicant's are not successful the first time and come back after the deferral period and are successful the next go around. Best advice is to improve yourself, keep working out and if you're passionate about being a Mountie come back once the deferral period is done.

Imran

2Tim2Shoes2
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby 2Tim2Shoes2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks Imran,

I appreciate you insight and informative response!

Tango5oh6
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Tango5oh6 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 pm

Got the call for Troop #2 May 17 to Nov 15. Anyone else get a call?

sig1992
Regular Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby sig1992 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:44 am

Tango5oh6 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 pm
Got the call for Troop #2 May 17 to Nov 15. Anyone else get a call?
Congrats!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cwilloner, Google [Bot] and 8 guests