Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby yojimbojack » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:53 pm

bcfella wrote:Couple questions for recent Rigaud grads;

Waiting on a return invite to OITP, do you get your uniform and kit upon arrival at Rigaud, or do you still get it at your regional offices?

Secondly, I heard that Rigaud is now a "dry" college, is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bcfella

Yes Rigaud is a dry college - sort of. There is one small lounge where you are permitted to buy and drink their alcohol but not within 8 hours of classes/training. This is enforced pretty closely and you'll see instructors/staff walking by to see who's there and when. There is no personal alcohol allowed on campus, including the parking lot. You are not permitted to drink in any other places on campus other than the lounge - including dorm rooms. There are local restaurants/bars that students went to but remember that Rigaud is a very small town (with a Hell's Angels presence) and word gets out if people get stupid and everyone knows who you are and why you're there. Also, your exits and entries to the college are monitored/recorded by access control...

As for uniforms and equipment it's a mixture of both. You'll get certain uniform components "for keeps" at Rigaud (some as loaners) and some will be given to you at your port.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

bcfella
Rookie Member

Postby bcfella » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Fernandy1991 wrote:

Waiting on a return invite to OITP, do you get your uniform and kit upon arrival at Rigaud, or do you still get it at your regional offices?

Bcfella

What do you mean by return invite? Your timeline shows you were at Rigaud in 2008 and then re-applied in 2014?

Had to withdraw during training due to illness. Been reapplying since.
CX 1

bcfella
Rookie Member

Postby bcfella » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:13 pm

yojimbojack wrote:

Bcfella

Yes Rigaud is a dry college - sort of. There is one small lounge where you are permitted to buy and drink their alcohol but not within 8 hours of classes/training. This is enforced pretty closely and you'll see instructors/staff walking by to see who's there and when. There is no personal alcohol allowed
on campus, including the parking lot. You are not permitted to drink in any
other places on campus other than the lounge - including dorm rooms. There are local restaurants/bars that students went to but remember that Rigaud is a very small town (with a Hell's Angels presence) and word gets out if people get stupid and everyone knows who you are and why you're there. Also, your exits and entries to the college are monitored/recorded by access control...

As for uniforms and equipment it's a mixture of both. You'll get certain uniform components "for keeps" at Rigaud (some as loaners) and some will be given to you at your port.

Thanks very much. Guess times have changed since my last Rigaud stint
CX 1

Redz
Rookie Member

Postby Redz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:20 pm

In the security clearance do they instantly call all your references ?

navyseals
Rookie Member

Postby navyseals » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:28 am

Does anyone have experience or know anyone who was in the program that received an undesirable and back out of the training?
Did you or they have to repay the training cost or what were the repercussions?

How is salary and placement calculated during training now?

filipesvj
Rookie Member

Postby filipesvj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I need your help.
First of all, I appologize if it is a stupid question.
But I realized that some of you put on the dead line only SLE test and some others put SLE and GCT2/WCPT.

So what is the difference between SLE and GCT2/WCPT?

Thank you!

kitsune
Rookie Member

Postby kitsune » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:52 pm

filipesvj wrote:Hi all,

I need your help.
First of all, I appologize if it is a stupid question.
But I realized that some of you put on the dead line only SLE test and some others put SLE and GCT2/WCPT.

So what is the difference between SLE and GCT2/WCPT?

Thank you!

GCT2/WCPT is the general competency and written proficiency exam that everyone has to write

SLE is for second language evaluation, if you're applying for bilingual

sierraechomike
Rookie Member

Postby sierraechomike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Last edited by sierraechomike on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James99
Rookie Member

Postby James99 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey everyone!

Don't know where you potential 8-intakers are in the process, but I am happy to say this week I had my Security Clearance Interview (Tuesday, he called on Monday) and as for today, I received my CAT III results through the mail (passed!).

Hoping for a call/email in the next few weeks and I'll get to meet some of you in person at the College!:D

James99

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 pm

sierraechomike wrote:Just a point of curiosity more than anything, but what's the barber situation at/around Riguad?

I think there is a shop or two in town, and failing that you can always head into VD to get a cut as well...

If you get the chance to get to VD I recommend Le Loft. A haircut and a beer for $25 bucks.... Maybe not every time, but honestly, It's a stressful place. Go out and have a little fun or treat yourself to something nice once in a while during the 18 weeks. And it's not like the Military where they are expecting you to get it cut every two weeks..... As long as you're keeping it well groomed you're fine.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Redz
Rookie Member

Postby Redz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:20 am

James99 wrote:Hey everyone!

Don't know where you potential 8-intakers are in the process, but I am happy to say this week I had my Security Clearance Interview (Tuesday, he called on Monday) and as for today, I received my CAT III results through the mail (passed!).

Hoping for a call/email in the next few weeks and I'll get to meet some of you in person at the College!:D

James99

Congrats !! Where are you from ?

James99
Rookie Member

Postby James99 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:10 am

Redz wrote:

Thank you!

I'm from the greater Montreal region, about 45 minutes away from the College!

James99

Redz
Rookie Member

Postby Redz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:10 am

James99 wrote:
Redz wrote:

Thank you!

I'm from the greater Montreal region, about 45 minutes away from the College!

James99

Nice im from Ottawa and still waiting for the security interview. Might be soon if they are in mtl area

Redz
Rookie Member

Postby Redz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:43 pm

As a BSO can you work at the same time for a security company ??

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Tommy wrote:And it's not like the Military where they are expecting you to get it cut every two weeks..... As long as you're keeping it well groomed you're fine.

I disagree. If you want to play the part, look the part. Skin and skull; cut your hair short and weekly. You don't want someone grabbing your hair in a use of force scenario and controlling your head. Your deportment will directly impact and dictate your officer presence. And please, if you have some sort of hipster facial hair or chin strap, shave it. Beard, goatee, or moustache. This is law enforcement.
"One more thing..."