Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Columbo
Seasoned Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Columbo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 am

Gotta love these self-screening applicants.
"One more thing..."

momo
Rookie Member

Postby momo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:48 pm

IGREWAL:
All I have to say is WOW!... I thought you had just accidentally mistaken me for a BSO when you had PM'd me, but it looks like you PM'd "EVERYONE" on the forum!!!! I you had only spent one 1/10th of the time you took to message everybody on doing a little research on the CBSA website, all your questions would have been answered!!!! Quit while you're ahead.......actually nevermind, you are waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond that! :shame:
Good judgement comes from experience...often experience comes from bad judgement...

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 pm

Holy smokes, I actually gave him an in-depth answer to his questions. I didn't know he copied and pasted it to everyone on the bloody forum.
**CBSA Officer**

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:08 am

"One more thing..."

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:17 am

Pacific_BSO wrote:Holy smokes, I actually gave him an in-depth answer to his questions. I didn't know he copied and pasted it to everyone on the bloody forum.

I did too, then he re sent his question to which I told him the CBSA did not want him, to which he re sent his f-ing question.
Then an apology that he must not have gotten my responses to which I re answered his question, to which he said. Hmmm Maybe that is not correct, I should ask a recruiter.

Way to go fuck nob just what any law enforcement agency is looking for.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

youngapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby youngapplicant » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:07 pm

got this email yesterday:

July 31st, 2009

Dear Candidate;

Process Number:

09-BSF-EA-NBSO-0002

Position Title:

Border Services Officer

Group and Level:

FB-03

Fraser, British Columbia
Kingsgate, British Columbia
Osoyoos, British Columbia
Pleasant Camp, British Columbia
Sidney, British Columbia (Seasonal Positions)
Stewart, British Columbia
Victoria, British Columbia (Seasonal Positions)
Beaver Creek, Yukon

This is to inform you that you will be considered in the next stage of the above mentioned selection process for Border Services Officer positions in selected locations in British Columbia and Yukon.

The next stage of the selection process is the general aptitude exam called the Border Services Officer Test (BSOT). The intent of this test is to assess the “ability to solve problems using reasoning”.

As mentioned on the job advertisement poster, candidates will be expected to travel at their own expense to the hiring location to participate in this selection process.

For this stage of the selection process only, the CBSA has made arrangements for the testing sessions to be held closer to where you live to eliminate or alleviate your travel cost.

Should you be successful at this stage of the selection process, you will be expected to travel at your own expenses to the interview.

You are invited to write this test: Border Services Officer Test (BSOT)

Date: WEDNESDAY August 19th, 2009

Time: 8:30 am

Language of Assessment: ENGLISH

Duration: 4.5 hours

We suggest that you arrive 15 minutes before the test scheduled time because you will not be permitted to enter the room once the test has begun.

Performance on the BSOT does not depend on knowledge of a specific topic; candidates cannot study for this type of test, except for knowing basic mathematics, grammar and spelling. Calculators and dictionaries are not permitted during the test.

A proof of Canadian citizenship and one piece of photo identification with your signature and indicating your permanent address (Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship card, valid driver’s license and/or a valid health insurance card) must be presented at the test session.

If you are unable to attend or if you are no longer interested in participating in this selection process, please contact us by e-mail at BSO-ASF@cbsa-asfc.gc.caas soon as possible. Scheduling of an alternative test date may only be considered for religious reasons, death in the family, or cases of serious illness. A doctor’s certificate or other proof may be required. Failure to attend this test without a valid reason may result in elimination from consideration in this selection process.

If you wish to be assessed in the other official language, please contact us by e-mail at BSO-ASF@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

Your test results will be provided to you in writing.

The success of this test is mandatory to reach the next step of the above mentioned selection process. The passing mark is 585/900. Test results from the former Customs Inspector Test (CIT) version 1C and 2A are considered valid for this selection process. If you have already completed one of these versions and obtained a passing mark, you are not required to re-write this test. However, you must send your results by fax (604) 666-6812.

Retest period – Should you wish to take this test again, you must wait until the six month (180 days) waiting period has elapsed.

If you have a disability or impairment for which you require special arrangements in order to participate in this test, please contact us by e-mail at BSO-ASF@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca as soon as possible.

Please see below for further information concerning the different stages of the assessment process:

ASSESSMENT PROCESS:

1. Meet citizenship and education requirements.

2. Successful completion of the Border Services Officer Test (BSOT). The BSOT will assess the Ability to solve problems using reasoning. You will find more information regarding this test at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/b ... f-eng.html .

3. The following competencies will be assessed at an oral interview:
-Professionalism
-Enforcement Orientation
-Effective Interactive Communication
-Dependability

4. Completion of the Conditions of Employment. View the complete list at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/b ... s-eng.html .

5. Placed in a pool of eligible candidates and may be appointed to a BSO position.

6. Training at the CBSA learning centre in Rigaud, Quebec (currently 10 weeks in duration). For further information on the Port of Entry Recruit Training, please visit http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/b ... n-eng.html .

Please keep the CBSA Recruitment Office informed of any changes in your name, address, telephone number and/or e-mail by e-mail at BSO-ASF@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

The CBSA wishes you success in this stage of the selection process.

National BSO Recruitment Team * Équipe du recrutment national des ASF

Canada Border Services Agency * Agence des services frontaliers du Canada

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

bso-asf@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:32 pm

is it just me or have they dropped the Valid Class 5 requirement for PAC ?
Thanks for everyones help! See you at the ports.

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:49 pm

You don't need a valid drivers license but you have to have mobility to the extent of having one. That means if you don't drive, you can get around by other means, i.e. taxi etc. Could prove quite costly if you live and work some distance from each other.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Thats HUGE for me considering im one of those pesky N drivers.

FANTASTIC, thanks for the help! (interview is aug. 5!)

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bishop
Rookie Member

Postby Bishop » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Damn it!
I somehow came back to this forum after being off it for so long. Don't get me wrong I love this forum and it has helped a lot; but when you try to take someones advice about just continue to live your life and forget about the CBSA you have to forget about this forum or you will continue to go crazy.

My one concern about forgetting about the CBSA is What if they forget about you?..lol

Anyway, I wish luck to those who are in the process, and a dump truck full of patience to those stuck somewhere in the process..ahem GTA.. ;)

That is just my little rant-ish kind of thing. :)

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen
Last edited by Bishop on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Applied CBSA: Apr 07
BSOT: Nov 07 - Passed
Interview: Mar 08 - Passed
FAC: July 08 - Passed
PAL: July 08 - Passed
Psych Eval: Nov 08 - Not Crazy
Rigaud: April 2011- Graduated! July '11

RPAT: April '09 - Passed

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Edit: Delete post (belonged in general chit chat).
"One more thing..."

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 pm

I had the opportunity to do some security work today with 3 uniformed RCMP officers and one mentioned that once someone is onboard with the CBSA, since they are peace officers by definition, you are able to laterally transfer to RCMP, VPD, APD insertmunicipalPD

off the hop i thought maybe he was using the wrong terminology, but as usual i cant let this issue rest utnil i have a definite answer.

would be a nice option if they dont let me into DDS in a few years ;)

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:53 pm

I assumed training would still be a neccessity, i guess what im wondering is if being a BSO would give you some advantage in the recriutment process, or even possibliy remove steps such as the RPAT, bgi, etc..

the more i think aboit it, the more i think he basically meant you could switch careers relativly easily given you are in an enforcement mindset already