Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mbman
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby mbman » Thu May 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I spoke with the head of recruiting for the provinces yesterday afternoon and he was shocked to find that the public is under the impression there is a hiring freeze within the CBSA. There is no such freeze and they will be recruiting in 2 districts for now and obviously hire for replacements across the board for those that retire/move on.
Applied: Screened in July/08
BSOT Written: Successful September/08
PAL: Obtained November/08
CPR/First aid: Obtained March/09
Interview: Successful March/09
Psych Evaluation: Successful October/09
Security Clearance: Complete
POERT: January 11, 2010

KerO96
Rookie Member

Postby KerO96 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:50 pm

mbman wrote:I spoke with the head of recruiting for the provinces yesterday afternoon and he was shocked to find that the public is under the impression there is a hiring freeze within the CBSA. There is no such freeze and they will be recruiting in 2 districts for now and obviously hire for replacements across the board for those that retire/move on.

what districts are they still recruiting in??
Applied: March/08
BSOT Written: June/08
BSOT Passed: June/08
Interview: July/08
Interview Results: Successful
CPR/First aid: Obtained
PAL: Jan/09
Security Clearance: Application Pending
Psychological Evaluation: Pending
POERT: TBD

slamdunk
Rookie Member

Postby slamdunk » Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 pm

KerO96 wrote:
mbman wrote:I spoke with the head of recruiting for the provinces yesterday afternoon and he was shocked to find that the public is under the impression there is a hiring freeze within the CBSA. There is no such freeze and they will be recruiting in 2 districts for now and obviously hire for replacements across the board for those that retire/move on.

what districts are they still recruiting in??

I called my recruiter as well, and he told me they're still conducting interviews in the GTA. As for Rigaud placements, he told me he has yet to hear from Ottawa on how many placements in each region there will be this year. Who knows though, a different recruiter seems to have a different answer.

mise
Rookie Member

Postby mise » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a few weeks, and have been reading all the posts. I have 54 pages left to read and I have come across a semi-emergency, thus I apologize if this is answered in those last pages.

I am writing my BSOT in Winnipeg on May 20. I live in Alberta, but I am currently on vacation/moving duty with my family in Emerson (the port at which I hope to work at if/when the hiring process is complete). I do not have proof of Canadian Citizenship with me. I brought my driver's license and my passport (and even my degree), but my birth certificate is stashed away in my home in Edmonton. I think on page 258 or 259 there is talk of people allegedly being reprimanded or refused writing for not having this proof with them. Am I going to get a kick in the bahoogies with a frozen mukluk? Should I make a mad dash to Edmonton for my document and fly back for my test?

Thank you in advance ^^ This forum has been an invaluable resource, and has helped me pass my evenings here.

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Thu May 14, 2009 8:58 pm

silentb wrote:Thanks for the info so far, I'll add some more of my own to see if anyones else might be in the know.

1. In speaking with the CBSA recruiter, she told me that my employer, the CSC, would probably allow me to go on "a secondment" for the 9 week training period. And if they refused, she would find that to be very uncommon.

2. I've talked with the chief shop steward for the PSAC at the pen, and he told me that you can only get "paid less" if you take a position that pays less. So my undersanding would be this, ie. a top pay CX1 is $65,000 right now. A top pay FB 03 is $62,000 I believe. He figured I would be going to $62,000, any thoughts on this?

3. Obviously my pension would transfer over, but what about things like sick leave accumulated, and annual leave? I just hit the 160 hours per year, it would be a hard pill to swallow if I had to go back to 3 weeks of hoildays.

1. If I were you, I would get something in writing or a very strong verbal signal from corrections that they would pay you your wages while in Rigaud. I happen to know someone who worked for the federal govt in a different agency and he thought he was going to get paid his reg wages. Not only did he not get his regular wages, it also messed up his "Rigaud pay" as well. He found out near the end that although he thought he was going to get pay, it is not a given, and many fed jobs will honor the system, yet not all of them do. They don't have to if they don't want to.

2. I doubt you would start at the top. They do not reward past federal govt employees from a different agency with equivalent pay (they treat you just as if you were working at any non-govt employee making the same wage). I am pretty sure you would start at the bottom level and the amt only goes up with years of service.

3. See #2. You start at the 3 weeks. I can't see them letting you get 160 hours per year when people who have been working for a few years already have not and maybe will not achieve # that for a while (someone else would know better what it tops out at).

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Thu May 14, 2009 8:59 pm

mise wrote:I do not have proof of Canadian Citizenship with me. I brought my driver's license and my passport (and even my degree), but my birth certificate is stashed away in my home in Edmonton.

I think your PASSPORT might just do the trick. 88) Good luck with the BSOT.
"One more thing..."

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm

silentb wrote:
2. I've talked with the chief shop steward for the PSAC at the pen, and he told me that you can only get "paid less" if you take a position that pays less. So my undersanding would be this, ie. a top pay CX1 is $65,000 right now. A top pay FB 03 is $62,000 I believe. He figured I would be going to $62,000, any thoughts on this?.

That's how I think it would work too as long as the service is continuous (back to back.) However I know some other posters disagree and you should really confirm with the HR people. Officially you aren't changing employers (it's Treasury Board)

mise
Rookie Member

Postby mise » Thu May 14, 2009 11:36 pm

BobB wrote:I think your PASSPORT might just do the trick. 88) Good luck with the BSOT.

I had checked this earlier:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/resources/ ... /proof.asp

and it didn't mention passport as proof :O Nonetheless I am hopeful it will be sufficient.

Thank you sincerely, Monsieur Bob ^^

DREAMJOB
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a CBSA Recruiter

Postby DREAMJOB » Fri May 15, 2009 6:25 pm

I WROTE THE BSOT IN VANCOUVER, BC YESTERDAY. WHEN I APPLIED THEY WERE DESPERATELY HIRING..NOW ONLY REMOTE LOCATIONS IN BC, YUKON AND SASKATCHEWAN..I DONT REALLY WANT TO MOVE AND I DONT MIND WAITING ONE YEAR TILL THEY ARE HIRING AGAIN...DO YOU THINK MY CHANCES OF GETTING HIRED IN A YEAR WILL BE A LONGSHOT WITH ALL THESE CURRENT PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THE SAME THING? CAN I WAIT IN A POOL OF CANDIDATES..DO YOU THINK THEY WILL ACTUALLY HIRE NEXT YEAR?? I AM REALLY CONFUSED AS TO WHAT I SHOULD DO?? ANY INFO WOULD BE REALLY GREAT...

Ottawa_CBSA
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a CBSA Recruiter

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Fri May 15, 2009 8:41 pm

I don't think we have any CBSA recruiters on here anymore so I would suggest moving this over to the "Ask The CBSA" thread.

P.S Please don’t use all caps.

Wayne?
BSO Position
Applied: Jan 15th, 2008
BSOT: Feb 12th, 2009
BSOT Passed: Mar 1st, 2009
First Aid: Have
PAL: Have
Interview: November 23rd - Passed
Rigaud - Graduated July 24th, 2010

Ottawa_CBSA
Rookie Member

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Sat May 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Ok, first off I am not a BSO, I am just an applicant like you so the following is only my opinion, not fact.

The CBSA hired a lot of BSO's in the past few years to eliminate the work alone situations and it seems that they have now filled most of those positions, except for the remote locations. I do believe that they will continue to hire, in limited quantities, in order to replace retiring officers.

That being said, I think that the timelines for the next processes will be longer and, of course, much more competitive.

I have been working towards this position for the past 2 years and know that it may be 2 more before it happens, so I have found that you can't plan for it until it happens.

Best advice, if you really want the job, continue with the application process and see what happens.
BSO Position
Applied: Jan 15th, 2008
BSOT: Feb 12th, 2009
BSOT Passed: Mar 1st, 2009
First Aid: Have
PAL: Have
Interview: November 23rd - Passed
Rigaud - Graduated July 24th, 2010

Skiddy

Postby Skiddy » Sat May 16, 2009 11:10 pm

silentb wrote:I'm currently employed with Correctional Service Canada, and looking at jumping ship to the Canada Border Services Agency. 1.Does anyone know if I would recieve full pay if I went to Quebec for training, as I'm already employed with the federal government? 2. As I'm at top pay CX, would I go to the top pay FB 03, or would I have to start at their bottom increment?
Any info would be appreciated.

1- yes, you recieve your cx wage until you become a BSO (grad date from rigaud). It's called a secondment.

2- Yes, you will walk in the FB wage closest to yours. ie: if you make more than top wage, you will get FB top wage.

3- you vacation time, sick leave, pension all walk across as well.

I switched services this last summer and can answer any questions on the topic Feel free to PM me with your questions.

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
mise wrote:
BobB wrote:I think your PASSPORT might just do the trick. 88) Good luck with the BSOT.

I had checked this earlier:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/resources/ ... /proof.asp

and it didn't mention passport as proof :O Nonetheless I am hopeful it will be sufficient.

Thank you sincerely, Monsieur Bob ^^

If you do a little learning on how our border works, you'll learn that a Canadian passport is proof of Canadian citzenship.

A passport is only proof of Canadian Citizenship everyone were in Canada but the Passport office... funny how that works... I mean if the people that are issuing the document don't have the confidence in the documents they are issuing for it to be used as proof.... :crazy:

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

The recession affect every government agency....even the CBSA.