GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
huckleberry81
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby huckleberry81 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:11 pm

For those waiting, I just received invite for Feb to write the OTEE, so keep a lookout for emails.

Palpatine
Rookie Member

Postby Palpatine » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:27 pm

M92 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:52 pm
Weaken wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:11 am
M92 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:04 pm
Yes. I graduated from grad school, got another Gov job, and have had my psych expire, and soon to be my PARE as well. Since March/April of 2022 my process has gone nowhere and I had everything done except for my security clearance.

I’m not upset about it, I got another degree, a gov Canada job, and got to do some other stuff I had been meaning to do but it’s a tad annoying after spending 4 years in the process (almost 5). My story isn’t unique though. Many people redo steps, the CBSA has an atrocious recruitment process.
I'm in the same boat (check my signature)

I've redone psych and medical and I'll probably have to redo it again :roll:
Yep, you’ve been it longer than I have. To see someone be “ahead” is part of the process but a 2022 applicant? Head scratcher (not directed at the OP). Let alone a 2022 applicant. Not sure if they fit EE categories but I know I fit 2 of those in addition to having a higher academic credential which is sometimes mentioned in posters (crim/sociology).

Some of the bigger more “intense” national security departments don’t even move that slow. However, I’ve heard from many people that everything is stored in an excel sheet, so that tells me a lot about the internal processes.

Also for those of you looking at this with a shocked face, no, I have no issue critiquing a potential employer, that’s part of the change making process. Even less so now that I work for the GoC and see the inside of other departments.
I'm amazed that for some candidates, one goes all the way to the security stage only to have everything re-set because time expired. Seems like such a huge waste of time on both sides of the equation.

It seems to me that if a candidate has made it to the "later stages", the agency should expedite those cases , given their accomplishments thus far, otherwise they risk having everything expire. In contrast, the ones at the OTEE stages - don't need to be expedited , as they're still quite early in the process.

I passed my OTEE in summer 2022 and received an email awaiting next steps for the interview.

Stories such as the above are concerning especially for applicants like myself who are now in their 40s! Yikes!

CAFSP05
Rookie Member

Postby CAFSP05 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am

Hello,

Has anyone received an Interest Confirmation email for OITP ? How soon afterwards did anyone get the official invitation?

Gamerz101
Rookie Member

Postby Gamerz101 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 am

CAFSP05 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am
Hello,

Has anyone received an Interest Confirmation email for OITP ? How soon afterwards did anyone get the official invitation?
Did you just get the interest confirmation recently?
AB
Applied: July 22
PARE: Sept 22
Psych Eval: Sept 22
Psych Inter: Oct 22
Medical: Nov 22
Security papers: Nov 22
CFSC/CRFSC: Nov 22
Integrity Interview:
Clearance Granted:
OITP:
Rigaud:

CAFSP05
Rookie Member

Postby CAFSP05 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 am

Yes, very recently.

Gamerz101
Rookie Member

Postby Gamerz101 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:14 am

CAFSP05 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 am
Yes, very recently.
When did you do your security interview?
AB
Applied: July 22
PARE: Sept 22
Psych Eval: Sept 22
Psych Inter: Oct 22
Medical: Nov 22
Security papers: Nov 22
CFSC/CRFSC: Nov 22
Integrity Interview:
Clearance Granted:
OITP:
Rigaud:

M92

Postby M92 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:42 am

Palpatine wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:27 pm
M92 wrote:
Weaken wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:11 am

I'm in the same boat (check my signature)

I've redone psych and medical and I'll probably have to redo it again :roll:
Yep, you’ve been it longer than I have. To see someone be “ahead” is part of the process but a 2022 applicant? Head scratcher (not directed at the OP). Let alone a 2022 applicant. Not sure if they fit EE categories but I know I fit 2 of those in addition to having a higher academic credential which is sometimes mentioned in posters (crim/sociology).

Some of the bigger more “intense” national security departments don’t even move that slow. However, I’ve heard from many people that everything is stored in an excel sheet, so that tells me a lot about the internal processes.

Also for those of you looking at this with a shocked face, no, I have no issue critiquing a potential employer, that’s part of the change making process. Even less so now that I work for the GoC and see the inside of other departments.
I'm amazed that for some candidates, one goes all the way to the security stage only to have everything re-set because time expired. Seems like such a huge waste of time on both sides of the equation.

It seems to me that if a candidate has made it to the "later stages", the agency should expedite those cases , given their accomplishments thus far, otherwise they risk having everything expire. In contrast, the ones at the OTEE stages - don't need to be expedited , as they're still quite early in the process.

I passed my OTEE in summer 2022 and received an email awaiting next steps for the interview.

Stories such as the above are concerning especially for applicants like myself who are now in their 40s! Yikes!
Yeah. I mean the department routinely ranks in the bottom 3 out of all the departments in the GoC when the PSES results come out. Not trying to discredit the department, but I’m sure some of the issues that have resulted in that ranking will bleed into recruitment since low morale (civilian/uniformed) will effect the recruitment process.

At the end of the day we can’t do much about it as applicants and recruits. As an applicant early in the process treat any fast moving parts as a success and slow moving parts as just another step in the process. No point sitting on the job nor the process. Best advice I’ve gotten from here is move on with life and treat this job as an afterthought. I would say it worked well for me and I’m still happy, albeit annoyed, when things happen in the process that mean I’m moving forward.

raymond.tee
Rookie Member

Postby raymond.tee » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:18 pm

huckleberry81 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:11 pm
For those waiting, I just received invite for Feb to write the OTEE, so keep a lookout for emails.
When did you apply? I'm still waiting for OTEE invite.
BC - CBSA
Application: June 2022
Officer trainee entrance exam:
Interview:
Psychological assessment:
Psychological interview:
Medical exam:
Physical fitness evaluation:
Secret security clearance:
Officer Induction Training Program:

Newfiecat_girl
Rookie Member

Postby Newfiecat_girl » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:32 pm

raymond.tee wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:18 pm
huckleberry81 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:11 pm
I’m still waiting as well but hey I guess that’s the game of patience! Although it would be nice to know if I’m still in the game lol

BSOJOE
Rookie Member

Postby BSOJOE » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:37 pm

Newfiecat_girl wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:32 pm
raymond.tee wrote:
I’m still waiting as well but hey I guess that’s the game of patience! Although it would be nice to know if I’m still in the game lol
Did you try nudging them? Sometimes getting that confirmation that they’re aware you’re waiting and everything is all good can be reassuring.
Applied: April 21’
OTEE: May 21’
Interview: Oct. 22’
French SLE: Sept 21’/Oct 22’
PARE: TBD
Psych Eval: TBD
Psych Interview: TBD
Sec Doc sent: TBD
CFSC & CRFSC: June 21’
Med Eval/Clearance: TBD
Sec Interview/Clearance: TBD
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Newfiecat_girl
Rookie Member

Postby Newfiecat_girl » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:41 pm

BSOJOE wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:37 pm
Newfiecat_girl wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:32 pm
raymond.tee wrote:

Did you try nudging them? Sometimes getting that confirmation that they’re aware you’re waiting and everything is all good can be reassuring.

Yes I have, I asked maybe a month or so ago and all I got was that the system randomly pulls people

Mikezel381
Rookie Member

Postby Mikezel381 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 am

CAFSP05 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 am
Yes, very recently.
I'm assuming that you have completed all phases of the process. Don't mind me asking, how long have you been OITP ready?

CAFSP05
Rookie Member

Postby CAFSP05 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:15 am

About 5 weeks

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 pm

M92 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:42 am
Palpatine wrote:
M92 wrote:

Yeah. I mean the department routinely ranks in the bottom 3 out of all the departments in the GoC when the PSES results come out. Not trying to discredit the department, but I’m sure some of the issues that have resulted in that ranking will bleed into recruitment since low morale (civilian/uniformed) will effect the recruitment process.

At the end of the day we can’t do much about it as applicants and recruits. As an applicant early in the process treat any fast moving parts as a success and slow moving parts as just another step in the process. No point sitting on the job nor the process. Best advice I’ve gotten from here is move on with life and treat this job as an afterthought. I would say it worked well for me and I’m still happy, albeit annoyed, when things happen in the process that mean I’m moving forward.
This is definitely the correct attitude to have. I think that the process may be designed to get you adjusted to the reality when you get the job. ;)

Best wishes to all of you and hang in there!
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

M92

Postby M92 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:49 am

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 pm
M92 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:42 am
Palpatine wrote:

This is definitely the correct attitude to have. I think that the process may be designed to get you adjusted to the reality when you get the job. ;)

Best wishes to all of you and hang in there!
Sadly, it’s pretty clear that the recruitment process isn’t to test anyone or prepare anyone, it’s just all over the place. GoC applications all take some time, even outside of the CBSA, but most are a year or less.

Regardless, we can’t change anything so just gotta keep on living life and if stuff happens in the process, good. If not? Also fine.