Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jco1996
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby jco1996 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:35 pm

OJ Cartonne wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:01 pm
2nd time applying for Corrections. Stage 3 tomorrow morning, doing the video REACT exam. If anyone sees this thread, I am nervous about the security screening that I failed the first application. They invited me to reapply, but I have no idea what the point would be. If I failed the first time, I am not sure how or why time would make a difference.

The question: Should I be totally forthcoming on the written self-screening, or leave everything off? My lawyer says I was an idiot to admit to any immoral poor choice that was not illegal. On the other side of the spectrum, my recruiter said to be open on everything and leave the determination to them.

The issue was going to a massage place, but it was not sexual. The questions were specifically asked, and my lawyer said that I should have said no. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to respond this time around? Should I answer yes, and explain on the follow-up, or leave it off altogether? My thinking is that if I omit this time, then I may disqualify as the first application from2 years ago will have the reason for not passing SSQ.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
It’s important to be honest in these questionnaires. Was it a massage therapist? Or a massage parlour? I feel for a massage parlour it’ll depend on the length of time between when you last went. If you last went 6 months ago, you might want to wait a few years before you reapply. But if it was 2+ years ago, then you need to articulate the context, and how you understand now why going to a massage parlour isn’t a good thing, then you’ll be fine. How did you grow from that incident is what you’ll want to explain.

While you need to be honest, if you put down that you murdered someone and you know the location of their remains, then be prepared to have the police show up to your door and be arrested. Instead of being a correctional officer for the next 25 years, you’ll be an inmate for the next 25 years.

There’s a few others on that questionnaire that I won’t get into that will result in an automatic rejection of your application. It will not matter how much time has passed since, it will always be an automatic rejection.
Applied: Aug 21
Qstnre: Aug 21
Written: Oct 21
Interview: Nov 21
TBS330: Jan 22
Fingerprinting: Feb 22
CTP1 Start: Feb 22
CTP1 Fin: Mar 22
Psych Test: Mar 22
Psych Interview: Mar 22
Security Qstnre: Mar 22
Medical: April 22
SOI: June 22
COL:

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 pm

Pretty excited. Passed the REACT with 100% math skills, 100% english, and 90.17% situational awareness (guess I need to work a bit more on empathy and reading inmates). Looks like going through to the next stage. Best start working on burpees and hitting the decks for the COPAT and getting a couple of reliable work references, (I heard others were dropped from consideration due to references not returning the form.) I will have to keep a level head still as there are many steps and weeks yet to go.

legionnaire007
Rookie Member

Postby legionnaire007 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:52 pm

Hello again friends,

does anyone have any information about the Matsqui Institution? :ponder:

Thank you kindly

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question, would anyone be able to tell me what it is like working at Beaver Creek Institution (Gravenhurst, ON) or any minimum/moderate security institution? With the process coming to an end I have become more and more curious what it’s like to be in an institution.

Prairieplp
Rookie Member

Postby Prairieplp » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 pm

OJ Cartonne wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 pm
Pretty excited. Passed the REACT with 100% math skills, 100% english, and 90.17% situational awareness (guess I need to work a bit more on empathy and reading inmates). Looks like going through to the next stage. Best start working on burpees and hitting the decks for the COPAT and getting a couple of reliable work references, (I heard others were dropped from consideration due to references not returning the form.) I will have to keep a level head still as there are many steps and weeks yet to go.
Congrats man..

In regards to the work references, isn't that one of the first steps after the interview? It was for me anyways.
Applied - March 22
Questionnaire - March 22
Written Test - April 22
Interview - May 22
TBS330 - May 22
CTP1 Start - May 22
CTP1 Complete - June 22
Psych Test - June 22
Fingerprinting - June 22
Psych Interview - June 22
Medical - July 22

Luskie

Postby Luskie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:06 pm

Prairieplp wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 pm
OJ Cartonne wrote:
Congrats man..

In regards to the work references, isn't that one of the first steps after the interview? It was for me anyways.
For CSC it is, CSC doesn't use REACT or COPAT so I'm assuming this applicant is for Ontario provincial, not Federal - wrong forum.
Federal Correctional Officer - CX-01 - Prairie Region

ygu31
Veteran Member

Postby ygu31 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:59 am

OJ Cartonne wrote:
I think you are applying BC Provincial correction because you mentioned both REACT and COPAT. You can get BC provincial info from this link:
https://forums.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39210

Good luck for the rest of your application process.

BTW: Which institution are you applying? if you haven't decided yet, consider FRCC or FMCC, my provincial buddies told me those were the best two BC provincial institutions (as the workplace).
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and did not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

MB CO 2013-2018
ON CO 2018-2019
Federal CO (Acting CX2) 2019-Present
CSC Ceremonial Guard

jco1996
Rookie Member

Postby jco1996 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:31 pm

Today I just received my SOI for Sask Pen. I confirmed my interest and let them know I would accept a CLO from them. 9 hours away from my hometown and one province over. I’m really excited.
COL:

legionnaire007
Rookie Member

Postby legionnaire007 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:49 am

jco1996 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:31 pm
Today I just received my SOI for Sask Pen. I confirmed my interest and let them know I would accept a CLO from them. 9 hours away from my hometown and one province over. I’m really excited.
Congratulations! :) Do you know if Sask inst. candidates have training on PEI?

Palimis
Rookie Member

Postby Palimis » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:20 am

jco1996 wrote:

Congrats I hope to hear soon if I get in we both about the same timeline.I am wondering I received a email from recruiting with a sheet with location selection and sales d if I wanted to change my location to resubmit wonder if I am to send it in or just leave it . I’m only applying for Atlantic as most of the places with in driving distance for me
CSC App: Mar/21
SJT: Sept/21
PHONE INT: Jan/22
FINGER PRINT: Jan/22
CTP1 SENT: Feb/22
CTP1 COMP: Mar/22
MEDICAL: Mar/22
PSYCH EVAL: Mar/22
PSYCH INT: Mar/22
SECURITY INT: Mar/22
CTP 2/3 INVITE- TBD

jco1996
Rookie Member

Postby jco1996 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:00 pm

legionnaire007 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:49 am
jco1996 wrote:
Congratulations! :) Do you know if Sask inst. candidates have training on PEI?
It’s going to be in Saskatoon for me.
COL:

jco1996
Rookie Member

Postby jco1996 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Palimis wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:20 am
jco1996 wrote:

Congrats I hope to hear soon if I get in we both about the same timeline.I am wondering I received a email from recruiting with a sheet with location selection and sales d if I wanted to change my location to resubmit wonder if I am to send it in or just leave it . I’m only applying for Atlantic as most of the places with in driving distance for me
Maybe contact them and ask for clarification. Does it say “Please respond by (this date), if you do not respond you will be removed from the selection process.”?
COL:

Palimis
Rookie Member

Postby Palimis » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:50 pm

Nope just says “Should you wish to update your regions and/or locations of interest as our personal and professional situation can change from time to time. Please complete the attached “Regions and Locations of Interest Form” and return to us by replying to this email.” No date or anything just says keep monitoring emails for any future candidacy
CSC App: Mar/21
SJT: Sept/21
PHONE INT: Jan/22
FINGER PRINT: Jan/22
CTP1 SENT: Feb/22
CTP1 COMP: Mar/22
MEDICAL: Mar/22
PSYCH EVAL: Mar/22
PSYCH INT: Mar/22
SECURITY INT: Mar/22
CTP 2/3 INVITE- TBD

jco1996
Rookie Member

Postby jco1996 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:51 pm

Palimis wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:50 pm
Nope just says “Should you wish to update your regions and/or locations of interest as our personal and professional situation can change from time to time. Please complete the attached “Regions and Locations of Interest Form” and return to us by replying to this email.” No date or anything just says keep monitoring emails for any future candidacy
I see. They send that to some applicants. They sent it to a friend of mine just before he was given his SOI last year. I simply emailed them without doing a form updating my institutions of interest. They do things differently for everyone it seems.
COL:

correctionalkatie
Rookie Member

Postby correctionalkatie » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I just received my SOI for Pacific Institution this week, and will be completing CTP3 in Abbotsford from September through December.

Anyone else coming to Abbotsford for PI?
Applied: Jan 21
Qstnre: Feb 21
Written: Mar 21
Interview: Jun 21
TBS330: Jul 21
CTP1 Start: Jan 22
CTP1 Fin: Feb 22
Psych Test: Feb 22
Psych Interview: Feb 22
Fingerprinting: Mar 22