Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Serenity_now

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Serenity_now » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 pm

Dreambig wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:26 pm
Serenity_now wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 pm
Bitterman wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Sadly... They are not.

"Region" sets policy... No one "leads" and decisions are based on self preservation, political optics and "feels"...

'Management" simply chase paper and get shat upon by their uppers and subordinates.
The good ones are quickly crushed or run out of town, so to speak.

My observations are based on over 30 years of working within this organization...
Bitterman I appreciate your input on this forum and respect your stances…. Again for the third time I am asking if gyms are open at centres currently
The gym at Toronto South is open. I believe it's a max of 10 people at a time.
Thank you

callofduty288
Rookie Member

Postby callofduty288 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:26 pm

Bitterman wrote:
bunnel wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am
The last time I checked, management is there to set policy, lead, and make decisions based on the good of an entire organization. Most times they're pretty good at it.

Sadly... They are not.

"Region" sets policy... No one "leads" and decisions are based on self preservation, political optics and "feels"...

'Management" simply chase paper and get shat upon by their uppers and subordinates.

My observations are based on over 30 years of working within this organization...
Being a CO almost 4 years now at TSDC. I completely support what bitterman is saying. Vaccines are different problem (I am vaxxed, but I won't force anyone to get it. If you end up in icu or die of covid because you refused to get vaxxed I won't feel sorry). But what I wanna say about management for the most part good ones get crushed chewed out by the ministry. They will get shafted, targeted and so on. They want managers that will bring meals to inmates as they are stabbing you and shower them after. They don't want any paperwork because that will effect the stats of the jail. They will never admit that system is absolute failure because of how much money is being spent for nothing. They heard in university that gangbangers can be reintegrated back to society and will work for minimum wage if they given a chance. Always keep in mind that people that make those policies never work with inmates or they were complete falldowns..
I apologize for a rant of a jaded f...k

Jcastle
Rookie Member

Postby Jcastle » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:13 am

callofduty288 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Bitterman wrote:
bunnel wrote:
The last time I checked, management is there to set policy, lead, and make decisions based on the good of an entire organization. Most times they're pretty good at it.

Sadly... They are not.

Being a CO almost 4 years now at TSDC. I completely support what bitterman is saying. Vaccines are different problem (I am vaxxed, but I won't force anyone to get it. If you end up in icu or die of covid because you refused to get vaxxed I won't feel sorry). But what I wanna say about management for the most part good ones get crushed chewed out by the ministry. They will get shafted, targeted and so on. They want managers that will bring meals to inmates as they are stabbing you and shower them after. They don't want any paperwork because that will effect the stats of the jail. They will never admit that system is absolute failure because of how much money is being spent for nothing. They heard in university that gangbangers can be reintegrated back to society and will work for minimum wage if they given a chance. Always keep in mind that people that make those policies never work with inmates or they were complete falldowns..
I personally appreciate the forwardness of both yours and Bitterman's contributions. Perhaps there is an aura of negativity but the reality is, most of us aspiring CO's need to best prepare ourselves for what is to come, whether that be sunshine and rainbows or the pits of despair. There's nothing wrong with being resentful if your experience is negative and conveying that information to the rest of us.

We should all have a discerning spirit online and be able to make our own judgements so there really is no need for people to criticize brash observations. An online forum should have opinions from both sides so that applicants are better informed on what they are getting into. There's a reason people going to OPC/other justice institutes are dropping out in the first few weeks of training. Most don't do the research and are therefore unprepared for the worst.

Cheers to you both and thanks for your input (regardless of the negative tone). It will help those of us who are seriously considering this career so that we are more likely to succeed.
Ontario Correctional Officer I:

April 2021 - Application
May 2021 - Wonderlic
June 2021 - REACT
July 2021 - Interview
July 2021 - Reference Checks
August 2021 - VSC/Background - Ongoing
August 2021 - NEO
September 2021 - FITCO
??? - Offer

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm

callofduty288 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Bitterman wrote:
bunnel wrote:

Sadly... They are not.

And this is why I have no interest in corrections....I have heard some interesting stories of the union filing greviences for little things that management has every right to do. That being said I have no doubt that it is a tough job and I have always appreciated the job the CO do.

Chief Minnow
Rookie Member

Postby Chief Minnow » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:59 pm
'Just a heads up to anyone that cares...

Notice has gone out that all of us must be vaxxed and prove it or get suspended without pay and probably/eventually fired... I believe IIRC the deadline is Oct.
I'll post the text of the notice ASAP, but it's pretty heavy handed and draconian in tone.

Keep this in mind when deciding what to do re. this career... I'd suggest asking about it whenever you get the opportunity.

There are lots of CO's and other correctional staff who have chosen not to be "jabbed" and say they will not be forced like this to take the covid vax.
It'll be interesting when on the deadline day they have to suspend half the staff...
Checked my emails yesterday, no memo. So id like to see this if you’re willing to post it.

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Just received my invite to book an appointment for an interview.

The email had a lengthy list of forms that need to be completed, some are from the Ontario corrections and some are from OPP.

Some of the forms state “Print” as in writing style and there is also “Sign by hand” and “Date by hand”.

Can someone clarify and confirm if I can complete all the forms digitally and then print, sign, date, re-scan and send to recruitment?

Thanks for any help.

Medix14
Rookie Member

Postby Medix14 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:35 pm

TheSlav wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 pm
Just received my invite to book an appointment for an interview.

The email had a lengthy list of forms that need to be completed, some are from the Ontario corrections and some are from OPP.

Some of the forms state “Print” as in writing style and there is also “Sign by hand” and “Date by hand”.

Can someone clarify and confirm if I can complete all the forms digitally and then print, sign, date, re-scan and send to recruitment?

Thanks for any help.

That’s what I did. I filled the ones I could electronically and printed them to sign by hand. Scanned them back in the email.

Good luck on the next steps!
Ontario CO:

Applied: Dec 2020 ✔️
Wonderlic: Jan 2021✔️
React: March 2021✔️
Background / VSC submitted: May 2021✔️
Interview: May 2021✔️
Fitco: May 2021✔️
References: May 2021✔️
Background: in Progress
NEO: July 2021
Offer:….

Bitterman

Postby Bitterman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Serenity_now wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 pm
Again for the third time I am asking if gyms are open at centres currently

Truth be told... At my inst. they keep flip flopping on covid policy so it changes day to day...
I think most of the gym rats just gave up and go for runs/walks instead of doing the weights or whatever else in in there...
My guess is some gyms are open... other are not.
Depends on where you are
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Bitterman

Postby Bitterman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 pm

Chief Minnow wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:19 pm
Checked my emails yesterday, no memo. So id like to see this if you’re willing to post it.
Here's the text

August 19, 2021

MEMORANDUM TO: All OPS Staff

SUBJECT: Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Policy for Ontario Public Servants

Further to the government’s August 17 announcement regarding the implementation of mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policies in a number of sectors, I am writing to let you know that a policy is under development for the Ontario Public Service (OPS), in consultation with OPS bargaining agents.

This policy is part of our ongoing work to keep the approximately 31,000 employees who are working in-person safe, and to support the safe, graduated and flexible return to OPS workplaces over the next two months for those who have been working remotely.

The mandatory policy will require Ontario public servants to:

Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; or
Advise of a medical reason for not being vaccinated against COVID-19 and undertake regular testing; or
Complete a COVID-19 vaccination educational session and undertake regular testing.
Employees will be required to confirm full vaccination against COVID-19. All vaccinated Ontarians have been provided with confirmation of their vaccination status.

This policy will be finalized shortly in alignment with Phase 2 of our graduated return to OPS workplaces plan, where employees who shifted to remote work locations will begin a phased and safe return. It will apply to all public servants working in ministries or Commission public bodies.

I recognize you may have questions. I will continue to keep you informed as additional details of the policy are finalized. Additional information about the policy has been posted on the InsideOPS COVID-19 resources page.

For information about how to book a vaccine, please visit Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccine site. You can also find the list of the pharmacies offering vaccines here.

As always, protecting the health, safety and wellbeing of Ontario public servants is our top priority. This additional measure will help us continue to ensure you are protected from COVID-19 as we deliver vital services to the public. We will continue to monitor and adjust to the latest public health guidance as the situation evolves.

We are committed to keeping you informed and updated as changes are made.

In friendship,

Deborah Richardson
Deputy Minister, Treasury Board Secretariat
Secretary of Treasury Board and Management Board of Cabinet
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Bitterman

Postby Bitterman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm

SHAMROCK wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm
And this is why I have no interest in corrections....I have heard some interesting stories of the union filing greviences for little things that management has every right to do.
But... You'll never hear about the grievances filed over blatant violations of the CA wherein management gets bitch-slapped and then later... Does the exact same thing again. And again....... and again... Lol
You'll also probably never hear of the countless MOL rulings against CO's where in any other workplace it would be the employer losing.
'Not to mention that catchall phrase... "inherent to the job"

ie... You work in a jail so you should expect and tolerate unsafe working conditions and well... Being assaulted is just part of the job you agreed to take so... We're not going to proceed with internal charges and we'll interfere with any action you wish to take regarding street charging inmate(s).

Here's some more unsolicited advice...
They'll tell you you're not to keep copies of your reports. Well, you better 'cause no doubt any report that makes management/admin look bad or could possibly exonerate you will be "lost".
Hell.. entire log books have disappeared after a critical (enough) incident... It's scandalous.

Just remember. Just like inmates, you have NOTHING to gain by trusting the management in this org. They will throw you under the bus without a second thought.

But hey... Welcome to corrections... Try to enjoy it :D :D
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

SWB4
Rookie Member

Postby SWB4 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:53 pm

piku wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:45 pm
Just got the call for Toronto South, training starts in Hamilton on October 12.
Congrats on the offer :alright:

you mentioned training starts in Oct 12 in Hamilton, as far as I know COs usually start with 4 weeks online training before heading to college in Hamilton! could you please confirm if they've changed that?
Thanks in advance
Ontario Corrections:

Application Submission: Jan/06/2021
Wonderlic: Feb/10/2021
React: April/07/2021
Interview: June/02/2021
References: June/15/2021
FITCO: June/20/2021
VSC: June/22/2021
NEO: July/16/2021
Offer: Pending

callofduty288
Rookie Member

Postby callofduty288 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 am

Bitterman wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm
SHAMROCK wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm
And this is why I have no interest in corrections....I have heard some interesting stories of the union filing greviences for little things that management has every right to do.
But... You'll never hear about the grievances filed over blatant violations of the CA wherein management gets bitch-slapped and then later... Does the exact same thing again. And again....... and again... Lol
You'll also probably never hear of the countless MOL rulings against CO's where in any other workplace it would be the employer losing.
'Not to mention that catchall phrase... "inherent to the job"

ie... You work in a jail so you should expect and tolerate unsafe working conditions and well... Being assaulted is just part of the job you agreed to take so... We're not going to proceed with internal charges and we'll interfere with any action you wish to take regarding street charging inmate(s).

Here's some more unsolicited advice...
They'll tell you you're not to keep copies of your reports. Well, you better 'cause no doubt any report that makes management/admin look bad or could possibly exonerate you will be "lost".
Hell.. entire log books have disappeared after a critical (enough) incident... It's scandalous.

Just remember. Just like inmates, you have NOTHING to gain by trusting the management in this org. They will throw you under the bus without a second thought.

But hey... Welcome to corrections... Try to enjoy it :D :D
There is only one positive in corrections. You can write your own paycheck until you retire. OT will never run out. Just don't base your lifestyle on that OT.

piku
Rookie Member

Postby piku » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:05 am

SWB4 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:53 pm
piku wrote:

you mentioned training starts in Oct 12 in Hamilton, as far as I know COs usually start with 4 weeks online training before heading to college in Hamilton! could you please confirm if they've changed that?
Thanks in advance
Thnx buddy
Yeah ur ryt, first 4 weeks will be virtual learning & the following 4 weeks in person at the Hamilton facility.
Applied : 29 December 2020
Wonderlic: 10 February 2021
React: 2 April 2021
Interview: 10 May 2021
VSC: 27 May 2021
Reference Checks : 3 June 2021
FITCO: 20 June 2021
NEO: 11 July 2021
Job Offer: 9 Sept 2021
Training: 12 October 2021

RdmCO
Rookie Member

Postby RdmCO » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am

piku wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:05 am
SWB4 wrote:
piku wrote:

Thanks in advance
Thnx buddy
Yeah ur ryt, first 4 weeks will be virtual learning & the following 4 weeks in person at the Hamilton facility.
When I received the call for TSDC to start training on Oct 12th I was told that they were planning on having in person classes at TSDC instead of Hamilton, but was not confirmed yet.

SWB4
Rookie Member

Postby SWB4 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:59 pm

RdmCO wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am
piku wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:05 am
SWB4 wrote:

Thanks in advance
Thnx buddy
When I received the call for TSDC to start training on Oct 12th I was told that they were planning on having in person classes at TSDC instead of Hamilton, but was not confirmed yet.
What's ur timeline RdmCO!?
Ontario Corrections:

Application Submission: Jan/06/2021
Wonderlic: Feb/10/2021
React: April/07/2021
Interview: June/02/2021
References: June/15/2021
FITCO: June/20/2021
VSC: June/22/2021
NEO: July/16/2021
Offer: Pending