RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JB83320
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby JB83320 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 am

Hello guys,
I am French-Canadian, I am 20 years old, I am at the final stage of security. I would like to know if the survey goes back 10 years or from my given age until I was 16 years old.
Thank you

oxlemar

Postby oxlemar » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:05 am

JB83320 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 am
Hello guys,
I am French-Canadian, I am 20 years old, I am at the final stage of security. I would like to know if the survey goes back 10 years or from my given age until I was 16 years old.
Thank you
Ils disent que l'enquête retourne 10 ans de la passé, mais dépendant de ta situation ça pourrait aller en arrière plus que 10 ans et même avant que tu ai eu tes 16 ans.

I am not a member with the RCMP, speaking strictly from my experience when I had a applied. Your mileage may vary.

Ont. RCMP Recruiter

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 am

JB83320 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 am
Hello guys,
Thank you
We will review your records going back 10 years or if you are younger then 26 years old we will go back until the point when you are 16. Of course if there are some issues before the age of 16, ie you were charged with an offence or had dealings with Police we will look into that depending on the severity

Imran

sig1992

Postby sig1992 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Just gonna throw this out there to save anyone the stress of searching for proof of vaccines received from childhood, if you’re a pre-ATS applicant being asked to submit proofs, & if you’re from Ontario, Porcupine Health Unit has an online database of every vaccine administered to you if you attended school (elementary, high school) in Ontario, it’s essentially a digitized copy of your Yellow Card.

This data is shared with the Ministry of Education as some vaccines were mandatory before you attended school as a child (like your MMR), this is the retrieval portal link: https://po.icon.ehealthontario.ca/#!/au ... =RETRIEVAL

JB83320
Rookie Member

Postby JB83320 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:09 pm

thank you very much

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 am

Hello everyone,

I'd like to give a thank you to all of the informative posts. Its definitely been helpful.

I'd like to chime in with one thing I learned re: vaccines

In BC, apparently the local health units only keep records until the student turns 29. So for me, at 30, my records have been destroyed.

fortunately I found the little paper slip the nurse gave me in 2004.

Good luck to everyone out there. And Highland, if you're creeping my posts, don't let my secret out of the bag will ya ;)

GoldenDuck
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenDuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:53 am

Dorydory wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 am
Hello everyone,

I'd like to give a thank you to all of the informative posts. Its definitely been helpful.

I'd like to chime in with one thing I learned re: vaccines

In BC, apparently the local health units only keep records until the student turns 29. So for me, at 30, my records have been destroyed.

fortunately I found the little paper slip the nurse gave me in 2004.

Good luck to everyone out there. And Highland, if you're creeping my posts, don't let my secret out of the bag will ya ;)
Thanks for the heads up. I've been trying to find my vaccine records through family with no success. Its good to know there are back up records somewhere.

Shame to hear that yours were destroyed :(
BC Applicant
App: Aug/20
RPAB/RPAT: Sep/20
RMAQ: Nov/20
RFI: Dec/20
PEP: Feb/21
PEP Rec: Feb/21
F.I.: Feb/21
Medical: Mar/21
MMPI-2 psych: Mar/21
Psych int: Mar/21
Psych int 2: June/21
Medical Rec: ---
SC: ---
Troop #: ---

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am

with the new bc health gateway app, i was able to see my covid19 vaccine records and other records.. but I think my records were destroyed before everything went digital. I have my baby records, so its specifically local health unit records that are destroyed AKA school records.

I wonder if anyone who is say, 27 has them on the BC health app.

try contacting the local health unit in the area where your school(s) was

GoldenDuck
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenDuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Dorydory wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am
with the new bc health gateway app, i was able to see my covid19 vaccine records and other records.. but I think my records were destroyed before everything went digital. I have my baby records, so its specifically local health unit records that are destroyed AKA school records.

I just made a gateway account and found that my school records have been transferred to the app. I'm 24 so it stands to reason that applicants aged 27 and under would also have their records transferred.
BC Applicant

sebastianw
Rookie Member

Postby sebastianw » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Hello everyone,
I thought I’d ask this here to see what the community can make of it. I want to be a police officer I have for several years since I was able to go on a ride along as part of my school program. I understand honesty is an important part of policing and you have to be truthful with everything. I once smoked two puffs of a joint in 2013 when I was 15 at a end of the year party. I did not try it again till it became legal in 2018 and counting my first use in 2013 I’ve only ever had it 5x but never a full joint or anything to myself nor have I purchased it ever from anyone or a dispensary. It was just something I didn’t want to do or continue! My last time I ever used it was November 2020. How would this be looked? I believe they would look at the 2013 time more seriously since it wasn’t legal at the time but that was 9 years ago and at that age I did not know what I wanted to do in life unfortunately.

My second question is in the winter of 2019 I was involved a incident at a store. I took a box of condoms without paying (yes I know how dumb can you be) full story is I was with my ex girlfriend at the time we were going to see a sports game and we had some time to spare. She went into another store and I went into another. I knew I needed condoms but when I saw the huge line I didn’t want her to see me buying them nor anyone else.I don’t know why I felt that especially at my age but I did and unfortunately can’t change time. I guess I felt self conscious. I always tried to buy them at a self check out prior at a store near my house since it was a larger supermarket. I was stopped by a LPO who took me to the back of the store and I gave back the merchandise. They made sure I had no record and I was let go with no police involvement or any charges, summons etc. Basically a warning and telling me I got lucky this time. Since that event it showed me how quickly one bad decision can change your whole life. I never took anything in my life prior and since.
How would these two things appear on a application ? I want to work for the RCMP. I plan on applying in 2022 which will make it 3 years since what happened in 2019. I don’t mind posting this on the forum, I know the event has shown me a lot more so then I even could have thought and I believe moving on from something is owning up to it and learning but becoming a better person in the process. I got my security license and have worked Bylaw ever since to give me more life experience and scenarios to talk about during a interview.
I’m not looking for sympathy but more so a convo or maybe some feedback from other members. Apart from those two things I have nothing else on me that I’ve done I rarely drink and never gotten a speeding ticket (knock on wood)
What does everyone here think?
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to include as much detail as possible.
Thank you in advance!

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:32 pm

Dorydory wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am

I went to my local area unit, and they had most of my shots on record still so I must have been lucky.
I may be mistaken, but If reading the e-mail correctly the file coordinator doesn't require the info and its just supposed to be something to bring with you to DEPOT when you get the call. ;)

I just had my TB test done, and it should be good for 6 months but if you don't have it done I believe they do one when you get there.

Lastly, nice to see you here and you should check out another resource called the RCMP applicants group on FB. Its very informative as well, shoot me a text if you want and I can fire off an invite to you.

Glad to see you in the pool. :drinking:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med - pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar20 Poly- pass
May20 BG- pass
May21 SC resubmitted
SC in process
Troop:TBD

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 pm

sebastianw wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm
Hello everyone,
I thought I’d ask this here to see what the community can make of it. I want to be a police officer I have for several years since I was able to go on a ride along as part of my school program. I understand honesty is an important part of policing and you have to be truthful with everything. I once smoked two puffs of a joint in 2013 when I was 15 at a end of the year party. I did not try it again till it became legal in 2018 and counting my first use in 2013 I’ve only ever had it 5x but never a full joint or anything to myself nor have I purchased it ever from anyone or a dispensary. It was just something I didn’t want to do or continue! My last time I ever used it was November 2020. How would this be looked? I believe they would look at the 2013 time more seriously since it wasn’t legal at the time but that was 9 years ago and at that age I did not know what I wanted to do in life unfortunately.

My second question is in the winter of 2019 I was involved a incident at a store. I took a box of condoms without paying (yes I know how dumb can you be) full story is I was with my ex girlfriend at the time we were going to see a sports game and we had some time to spare. She went into another store and I went into another. I knew I needed condoms but when I saw the huge line I didn’t want her to see me buying them nor anyone else.I don’t know why I felt that especially at my age but I did and unfortunately can’t change time. I guess I felt self conscious. I always tried to buy them at a self check out prior at a store near my house since it was a larger supermarket. I was stopped by a LPO who took me to the back of the store and I gave back the merchandise. They made sure I had no record and I was let go with no police involvement or any charges, summons etc. Basically a warning and telling me I got lucky this time. Since that event it showed me how quickly one bad decision can change your whole life. I never took anything in my life prior and since.
How would these two things appear on a application ? I want to work for the RCMP. I plan on applying in 2022 which will make it 3 years since what happened in 2019. I don’t mind posting this on the forum, I know the event has shown me a lot more so then I even could have thought and I believe moving on from something is owning up to it and learning but becoming a better person in the process. I got my security license and have worked Bylaw ever since to give me more life experience and scenarios to talk about during a interview.
I’m not looking for sympathy but more so a convo or maybe some feedback from other members. Apart from those two things I have nothing else on me that I’ve done I rarely drink and never gotten a speeding ticket (knock on wood)
Thank you in advance!
The only person who can give you any real, insightful information on this would be an actual, current recruiter. Anything anyone else gives you in response to this is engaging in nothing more than spouting off their own speculation, whether they are some dude on the street who once saw an rcmp cruiser on tv once but otherwise knows nothing about them, or a Staff Sgt. In charge of a mid-sized detachment somewhere in the prairies. Again, if they aren’t a current recruiter, whatever you’re going to hear is pretty much equally worthless information.
Don't call it a comeback...

GoldenDuck
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenDuck » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:26 am

sebastianw wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!
It goes without saying but my response can't stand in for the opinion of a recruitment staff member. They are the only ones that can determine if your prior activities can be excused during your application.

My personal opinion is that the events you described aren't severe enough to warrant a deferral. That being said, I would stick to your plan of waiting a few years to apply. From my understanding, the RCMP aren't looking to hire saints, but they are expecting you to have a steel core of integrity and honesty. Ensuring that you disclose everything will show them that you are 100% committed towards personal growth.

Speaking of, use those few years to create moments that showcase your positive traits. Join a volunteer program, pick up a useful hobby, learn a new language, get involved in community events, etc.

Good luck with your future application, the only way you'll know the answer is if you take the plunge.
BC Applicant

sebastianw
Rookie Member

Postby sebastianw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 am

I did try contacting recruiting however I received a generic reply with information I already knew from the website, I do appreciate both of your replies. I will try and show them who I am as a person and this is what I want to do as my career!

Ont. RCMP Recruiter

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:39 am

sebastianw wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 am
I did try contacting recruiting however I received a generic reply with information I already knew from the website, I do appreciate both of your replies. I will try and show them who I am as a person and this is what I want to do as my career!
Hi Sebastian,

We get questions like this all the time. Sort of a "I made a mistake, is it even possible to get hired". The unfortunate answer is even recruiters won't be able to give you a definitive yes or no answer for the most part. And that is a good thing. We need to review all the information before we make a decision. Trust me that is what you want because otherwise it would simply be a no from us. But that may not be fair. I appreciate your honesty here. When we're talking about drug use, with marijuana we were asking applicant's to be free/clear for one year of illegal use. Now with it being legal that won't make a difference. We will review your use while it was illegal but as you stated the illegal use happened a lot of years ago when you were a teenager. Just be aware that RCMP officers cannot use marijuana within 28 days of duty and I've never had 28 days off in a row!

As for the attempted theft, again we look at situations individually. In the grand scheme of things what you describe is quite minor. Obviously it would be slightly different if it happened multiple years ago as more recently, but again not the end of the world. As you're looking to apply next year or so that's a good thing. We look at the date of the incident and when you applied. So the longer a gap between the two the better.

Ask yourself what can I do to show them/RCMP that I recognize my mistake and I took action to rectify or improve it? would it look good for you if you said "I made a mistake by trying to steal something, so I went back to the store and purchased the item and donated it?" or in this case maybe substitute the condoms for canned foods to donate to a food bank? :ponder: when you're speaking to an interviewer, how do you think they would see that. Obviously this is completely depended on what the issue is, how often it happened, date it happened etc. Think to yourself, what can I do to show them I recognize the mistake I made and what I did to make amends for it.

I would encourage you to apply as you've planned

Imran