Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
OntSecGuy
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby OntSecGuy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:30 am

AHP309 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:28 pm
For anyone trying to make it through the application process with the Alberta Government:

Applications are reviewed to determine how they align with the advertised qualifications.

Candidates must meet the minimum education and experience required to be eligible for further consideration.

Each job requires unique qualifications that are considered as a whole in determining which applicants most closely match the qualifications required.

Those whose qualifications most closely match the job requirements are invited to participate in job related assessments.

Applicants biggest mistake, that removes them at the first step of the application process, is their failure to identify their ability to meet the advertised qualifications.
So... I don't have a diploma; nor a degree in any law enforcement related field. I have a College Diploma in Business Admin and a College Certificate in a trade; plus over a decade experience in Security. I am currently working at the largest four season resort in Ontario and what we do is very close to what would be considered akin to a "Community Peace Officer" but without the Provincial Offenses powers. Will this experience be beneficial, or do I need that education to get my resume looked at?

I want to leave Ontario for Alberta and would really love to be a Traffic Sheriff or Community Peace Officer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Just a guy looking to leave the Private world behind for the real thing.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:36 am

Your life/work experiences all matter, but so do the experiences of the people you are competing against.

Alberta CPO's have different duties depending on the location and the desires of their employer. For some positions, your qualifications would get you a second look, and others would not.

Previously, Highway Patrol positions were filled internally by Sheriffs from the Court/Prisoner Transport/Legislative Security areas.

As far as future Highway Patrol position competitions, discussions are ongoing for a possible posting in the fall. Current Sheriffs will have the first opportunity for internal transfers. Would they then have an open competition to the Highway Patrol?.... I don't know the answer yet.

OntSecGuy
Rookie Member

Postby OntSecGuy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 am

AHP309 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:36 am
Your life/work experiences all matter, but so do the experiences of the people you are competing against.

Alberta CPO's have different duties depending on the location and the desires of their employer. For some positions, your qualifications would get you a second look, and others would not.

Previously, Highway Patrol positions were filled internally by Sheriffs from the Court/Prisoner Transport/Legislative Security areas.

As far as future Highway Patrol position competitions, discussions are ongoing for a possible posting in the fall. Current Sheriffs will have the first opportunity for internal transfers. Would they then have an open competition to the Highway Patrol?.... I don't know the answer yet.
Thanks for the info. Gives me a better idea on how to try to get to where I want to be!
Just a guy looking to leave the Private world behind for the real thing.

Bms86
Rookie Member

Postby Bms86 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 am

Made my own post but figured I'd try on here as it looks like there is some discussion of Alberta CPO here. I'll keep looking through this thread but if anyone is able to provide some insight it would be appreciated!

I'm in the process of interviewing for a Correctional Peace Officer in Alberta. I can't really find any relevant info here but does anyone have any experience interviewing for this? I made it to the 2nd interview phase but it's pretty vague of what will be involved in the actual interview.

TIA!

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 am

Bms86 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 am
Made my own post but figured I'd try on here as it looks like there is some discussion of Alberta CPO here. I'll keep looking through this thread but if anyone is able to provide some insight it would be appreciated!

I'm in the process of interviewing for a Correctional Peace Officer in Alberta. I can't really find any relevant info here but does anyone have any experience interviewing for this? I made it to the 2nd interview phase but it's pretty vague of what will be involved in the actual interview.

TIA!
I thought I absolutely bombed the interview but here I am!

Don't be worried if you can't answer questions right away, I was allowed to return to questions later and they didn't mind me taking long pauses to think of answers.

Interview is a typical "tell us about a time where you did x competency" that you can find in most, if not all government / law enforcement jobs.
Correctional Peace Officer

Bms86
Rookie Member

Postby Bms86 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:09 am

Tornelco wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 am
Bms86 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 am

TIA!
I thought I absolutely bombed the interview but here I am!

Don't be worried if you can't answer questions right away, I was allowed to return to questions later and they didn't mind me taking long pauses to think of answers.

Interview is a typical "tell us about a time where you did x competency" that you can find in most, if not all government / law enforcement jobs.
Appreciate the response, I guess I'm overthinking it at this point :(

Bms86
Rookie Member

Postby Bms86 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Well interview 2 complete, not feeling too confident after that one but you never know.

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm

I didn't feel comfortable at all after mine. Let us know how you do, hope to see you on the range.
Bms86 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Well interview 2 complete, not feeling too confident after that one but you never know.

Bms86
Rookie Member

Postby Bms86 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm
I didn't feel comfortable at all after mine. Let us know how you do, hope to see you on the range.
Bms86 wrote:
Got the rejection letter already. Guess it is not meant to be. Moving on to my CPS application now. Appreciate the responses!

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Bms86 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:50 pm
Tornelco wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm
Bms86 wrote:
Got the rejection letter already. Guess it is not meant to be. Moving on to my CPS application now. Appreciate the responses!
I don't mean to make you nervous, but your interview with CPS will be quite similar format to what you went through with AB corrections. CPS is also a ton more competitive, so the panel might hold candidates to a higher standard.

If you can, try to get in touch with the staff who interviewed you (or whoever was in charge of hiring) and get some feedback so you can make improvements.

Best of luck.
Applied Oct 2019
CTP-3 April 14 2021

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 am

There is another Law Courts Sheriff posting up on the Alberta Government jobs site.

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 am

You can only apply as a law court sheriff? I figured some days you do court security and others you do prisoner transport.
AHP309 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 am
There is another Law Courts Sheriff posting up on the Alberta Government jobs site.

ABFarmer
Rookie Member

Postby ABFarmer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:19 am

Tornelco wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 am
You can only apply as a law court sheriff? I figured some days you do court security and others you do prisoner transport.
AHP309 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 am
Court Security Prisoner Transport. CSPT. Unless I’m wrong?

AB_Bravo_Whiskey
Rookie Member

Postby AB_Bravo_Whiskey » Wed May 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Anyone else currently in competition #9384?

Albertaguy123
Rookie Member

Postby Albertaguy123 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm

AB_Bravo_Whiskey wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:41 pm
Anyone else currently in competition #9384?
I am currently in the process for competition #9384. I received an email last week stating that I was screened in for an interview and interview dates would be sent out this week. I still haven't received an email with my interview date as yet. Have you heard anything regarding you interview date? Thanks.