Applicant Testing Services

Post your suggestions to the editor for possible stories you would like to see in an upcoming issue Blue Line Magazine.
User avatar
Mississauga86
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Mississauga86 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Anyone else going for the WCT/PATI on the 19'th?? I got everything set up, now I am just studying off of policeprep.com.

TacticsPT
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby TacticsPT » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:51 pm

ATS is freaking cash cow, someone needs to set up against them, that will drive fees down and reduce wait times.

freefaller21
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: GTA
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby freefaller21 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:52 pm

There are a few things that bother me about ATS. Most of all is this,

1. There is no transparency. When I did the written testing for the RCMP I was provided with a complete breakdown of my score, and you are told what the passing mark is. Not so with ATS, they don't tell you what the passing grade is nor do they tell you what your score was. There are lots of conspiracy theories out there about ATS, and one of the most common is that since you don't know what your score was, and they don't tell you what the passing mark is, how do we know that they just aren't arbitrarily failing a certain percentage of the group? Because they know you'll be back and their priority is to make money.

User avatar
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:13 pm

ATS is not an impartial third party. They are a for profit company. Who knows what the hell they are doing behind closed doors. All testing should be done by police services.

freefaller21
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: GTA
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby freefaller21 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Apollo wrote:ATS is not an impartial third party. They are a for profit company. Who knows what the hell they are doing behind closed doors. All testing should be done by police services.


Exactly.

User avatar
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Won’t be soon but I think you will see a process that will see applicants attend OPC; go through a testing process; then (if successful) go through OPC and then get hired to a police service through a recruiting pool. I also think this will on the applicant's tab up front.

I think that creating a pool for police services to draw from would work better and create a more common level of competency. Frankly, I think that colleges should be forced to do away with Police Foundations as it generates false hope in many. The acceptance for Police Foundations in college does not offer any solid guarantee towards acceptance onto a police service. Nor does any ATS test!

The present process is a farce
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

User avatar
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Apollo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:Won’t be soon but I think you will see a process that will see applicants attend OPC; go through a testing process; then (if successful) go through OPC and then get hired to a police service through a recruiting pool. I also think this will on the applicant's tab up front.

I think that creating a pool for police services to draw from would work better and create a more common level of competency. Frankly, I think that colleges should be forced to do away with Police Foundations as it generates false hope in many. The acceptance for Police Foundations in college does not offer any solid guarantee towards acceptance onto a police service. Nor does any ATS test!

The present process is a farce


Will never happen. Ever.

User avatar
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:55 am

Apollo wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:Won’t be soon but I think you will see a process that will see applicants attend OPC; go through a testing process; then (if successful) go through OPC and then get hired to a police service through a recruiting pool. I also think this will on the applicant's tab up front.

I think that creating a pool for police services to draw from would work better and create a more common level of competency. Frankly, I think that colleges should be forced to do away with Police Foundations as it generates false hope in many. The acceptance for Police Foundations in college does not offer any solid guarantee towards acceptance onto a police service. Nor does any ATS test!

The present process is a farce


Will never happen. Ever.


We'll see.

Just remember that OPC was once paid for by police services with a discount form the Ministry. Now the members pays and then get a reimbursement after time in on the job. This way the services are not out as much should the new member not cut it or moves on for what ever reason. It would simplify the process over all if OPC did the intake process (all inclusive - testing, backgrounds and so on...)and the applicant paid the full freight up front to OPC. Then upon completion of the course services would go to OPC and pick new officers from there.

This process concept would remove a great cost load from all police services (office staff, background checkers.....etc...)and simplify in in one central process centre. I think the system is just about due for another shake up (another reinventing of the wheel so to speak).
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

User avatar
Tinman
Grand Poobah
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:06 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Tinman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 am

Dave Jenkins wrote:Now the members pays and then get a reimbursement after time in on the job.


Negative. The service pays upfront and most provide the member with an interest free loan over 2-3 years to pay it off.
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

User avatar
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Tinman wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:Now the members pays and then get a reimbursement after time in on the job.


Negative. The service pays upfront and most provide the member with an interest free loan over 2-3 years to pay it off.



Sorry about my wording but my point was there is a cost to the new member one way or another - is there not? Interest free loan and over 2-3 years to pay back not withstanding $7,500 is a chunk of money that was a cost once paid up front by the services/ministry and not the new officer. It is now all to protect the services and even the Ministry against cost put out for possible failing recruits or that move on for whatever reason.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

User avatar
CourtOfficer
Site Admin
Posts: 6029
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:16 pm

I don't know if you've been to OPC lately Dave, but they aren't going to be taking anything new on, I would suspect. The school is jammed full of recruits and virtually all senior classes are staying off-site in hotels. My last of many stays there this year, I had to spend a half hour drive to and again back to my hotel after classes Like everything else in government, they are stretched until the breaking point as well.

CO

User avatar
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:09 am

CourtOfficer wrote:I don't know if you've been to OPC lately Dave, but they aren't going to be taking anything new on, I would suspect. The school is jammed full of recruits and virtually all senior classes are staying off-site in hotels. My last of many stays there this year, I had to spend a half hour drive to and again back to my hotel after classes Like everything else in government, they are stretched until the breaking point as well.

CO



It was my understanding that a few years back Cole Sherman Engineers and Architects were brought in to oversee and expansion that would accommodate about 150 new recruits per year and that it was during that process they realized the over all short comings of the college's physical nature (not the quality of the college itself) and were looking to remedy that. There was also behind the scenes talks to expand the calendar of OPC courses and to offer some courses to agencies outside of police services.

The offering of OPC course through off college venues is nothing new and in some cases goes back 20+ years and as you would know most services of any size host such courses. As for OPC being filled to the rafters....that is a good thing as it may force the Ministry's hand in coughing up funding for an expansion if not a total replacement of the facility. Seems for now they are betting on the number of new officers being processed to drop after the "glut" is met in a few years time and the drive for additional officers has been met.

Little trivia......Bob Grimbly, HPS, designed the OPC crest during a competition held at OPC where recruits were invited to create a more modern design (196? around 2 or 3). His design won and remains the crest even today. I think you and Bob share a common interest.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Applicant Testing Services

Postby gotchya » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:16 am

OntarioFiveOh wrote:The service still pays a good chunk of the recruit attending OPC as well. The $7500 is a small portion of the cost.

All those years of university, and 7500 is just another year in school. I will beg, borrow, and well I guess stealing is out of the question, to pay for my tuition for OPC!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest