Drinking In public ticket - softball

Post your suggestions to the editor for possible stories you would like to see in an upcoming issue Blue Line Magazine.
Supertrooper
Rookie Member

Drinking In public ticket - softball

Postby Supertrooper » Sat May 02, 2009 3:07 am

I'm on a softball beer league and one of my team mates sugguested a list for who's bringing beers to the game. Now with this new law thats in place and the fact that I'm going to apply to a service sometime this year I advised this person that I perfer to have no part in it. Now If they do end up drinking at the game and for some reason police pops in and want to issue tickets will I be getting one as well and/or will my name be added to the report? I paid enough money to join this league and my gf is on the same boat. Might be a stupid question but we are just trying being extra careful.
Thanks
GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Drinking In public ticket - softball

Postby Bitterman » Sat May 02, 2009 4:22 am

It's a fact that police do not drink beer ever.
Especially during softball games... and really especially during the annual Dunmore tourny... ;)
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Supertrooper
Rookie Member

Postby Supertrooper » Sat May 02, 2009 7:00 am

Hahaha I hear ya. Just playing it safe thanks
GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sat May 02, 2009 9:55 am

I'm pretty sure police would only hand out open liquor to those who are being A holes and drawing attention to themselves. Now if you are descrete and not all pissed up, I'm sure you would be told to just pack up and leave provided you don't become a smart ass and challenge the police.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Sat May 02, 2009 10:25 am

As I have told many a ball player, put your beverage in a travel mug and keep the cans out of sight. That way, unless you're being a drunken idiot, I'm going to assume you're drinking coffee and be on my way.
:wave:

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat May 02, 2009 10:26 am

Open liquor is illegal and you most certainly do open yourself up to the possibiity of getting a ticket. You're an applicant, so I would certainly reconsider committing that offence.

CO

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Sat May 02, 2009 5:11 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Open liquor is illegal and you most certainly do open yourself up to the possibiity of getting a ticket. You're an applicant, so I would certainly reconsider committing that offence.

CO

Yup, welcome to Ontario where everything you do has a rule, great way to encourage tourism.
I'll take a car race, show event or game any day in the U.S. over here. In fact, we only usually attend one event here, and I doubt we will bother this year. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a beer or two at an event, and as long as you are not driving, or drunk, there is no issue. Been doing it for 20 years or more at events in the U.S. where it's legal and never once had any of our group drive where they would have been remotely close to being over.
Ontario needs to change some of it's liquor laws to be more realistic, but until then, no wobbly pops in a public place.
Enjoying a cold Yuenglings Premium right now, great PA beer !
Beer Me !

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat May 02, 2009 7:51 pm

I agree with O5O on this one, don't act like an ass and most likely nothing will come of it, oh ya and don't behind the wheel of the car plastered. I have been in situations where after a game "the boys" went to enjoy a couple of "pops" at our cars. Personally, I didn't partake, no much of a beer drinker. Officers drove by saw we were drinking stopped asked us a couple of questions (i.e. how much beer we had, and simply told us to drive carefully and have a safe night).Everyone answered respectfully, there were 8 of us and only 12 beers, I assume the officer assumed we weren't going to drink our faces off. I've seen the opposite as well, people were drinking by their car, being loud with lots of kids around an officer came by and dealt with the incident (i.e. poured out the beers and issued a couple of tickets), they deserved it, that and they were absolutely being rude to the officer. They deserved a beat down but I guess the officer was being nice as she could have got them for a bunch of other tickets.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Hoping the Officers won't write a ticket if you're caught is not the way you need to conduct yourself when you're trying to get on the job though. Distance yourself from the illegal activity. That way there's no risk at all of it affecting you application.

CO

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun May 03, 2009 12:55 am

Police have enough problems with people drunk in public, I see it every day. We don't need to encourage more people to drink and act stupid. Of course allowing drinking in public will cause more problems. I've been to a few Buffalo Bills games and I don't think a saw anyone sober there. Saw plenty of Sheriffs officers tossing drunks to the ground, heard a few ASP's snap out too! Then they have their chopper flying circles around Orchard stadium parking lot directing officers to fight after fight after fight. Nothing like trying to keep the peace in a crowd of 80+ thousand drunks. I'm sure everyone drives home sober too. Alcohol needs to be restricted or people go bananas with it. I don't see Ontario changing anytime soon.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 am

OPPAux wrote:Yeah, tailgate parties are not the model for police applicants. Like CO said, if you're in the process you should be EXTRA careful about being involved in, or around, any illegal activity. It's not really that hard, after the game just go home..... :mrgreen:

Hey it is only a liquor ticket after all, you guys make out to be a criminal offence. I see no problem sticking around with the boys and if you are worried about a ticket, do not drink.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Mon May 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Last ballpark ticket I wrote...see guy tipping the brown bottle, walk over, seize the beer, ask for ID....it's in my car...ok, gets it out of the car and hands it to me...."can you give me a break, I'm a firefighter" :shock: No, you should be setting the example to the community, here's your ticket.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue May 05, 2009 12:55 am

For the most part, if I see anyone drinking in public, I ask them nicely to pour their beverage. If they comply, then I tell them to have a nice day and to stay out of trouble. If they decide to challenge me, walk away with their beer or to chug it in front of me, then they get a ticket.

If this person is a shitrat, then they get the ticket either way.
POLICE OFFICER