Polygraph

Post your suggestions to the editor for possible stories you would like to see in an upcoming issue Blue Line Magazine.
PHB
King Poobah

Polygraph

Postby PHB » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 am

I would like to see an article in Blueline about the Polygraph and it's applications in criminal investigation, interrogation as well as the application process. Is the use of the polygraph on the rise or is it declining? What are the views of some of the country's agencies regarding the device? Is there a place for polygraph examiners in the civilian market after they retire?

Maybe this has been addressed in past issues?
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Re: Polygraph

Postby Columbo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Government loves the polygraph; not because it can detect lies inasmuch as throwing chicken bones on a Voodoo doll can muster. Rather, it represents a completely legal and voluntary means to interrogate someone, without a lawyer present, under duress with the aim of extracting information and damaging admissions that the subject would not normally reveal had the polygraph not been invoked. That's my two cents, anyways. There's a reason that polygraph tests are NOT admissable in Canada's justice system.
"One more thing..."

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 am

BobB wrote:Government loves the polygraph; not because it can detect lies inasmuch as throwing chicken bones on a Voodoo doll can muster. Rather, it represents a completely legal and voluntary means to interrogate someone, without a lawyer present, under duress with the aim of extracting information and damaging admissions that the subject would not normally reveal had the polygraph not been invoked. That's my two cents, anyways. There's a reason that polygraph tests are NOT admissable in Canada's justice system.

That's why a Blueline article on the device would be a good source of information for us LEO's who really don't know that much about the machine and how it works. Another good question would be to examine any case law surrounding the polygraph in Canada. I know they can't be used for pre-employment screening in Ontario but other than that they are used in the majority of other provinces.

agclarke@istar.ca

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:47 pm

BobB wrote:Rather, it represents a completely legal and voluntary means to interrogate someone, without a lawyer present, under duress with the aim of extracting information and damaging admissions that the subject would not normally reveal had the polygraph not been invoked.

You make it sound like a bad thing.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:00 am

I don't like to use the words "good" and "bad" in reference to the polygraph. It's definitely "useful." I do not agree with it being labeled as a lie detector either, when all it does is compare the body's physiological response to relevant, probable-lie, and control questions. Polygraphs can be beat with proper counter measures. For example, if you were asked if you have ever stolen a purse, and you answer "no," you might be completely innocent. However, your heart rate and blood pressure could sky rocket because you're reminded of the time your mom was mugged and you associate that stressful incident with purse-snatching, even though you've never stolen a purse. Do you drink more than you revealed on the pre-polygraph questionairre? You might not, but your best friend might be an alcoholic and the mere question irks you. So long as your responses to these questions are greater than your responses to probable-lie control questions (which everybody lies about), the polygraphist has no other option than to label you as deceptive. This, in essence, is how the polygraph works.

Don't think of a pink elephant.

.................. did you think of a pink elephant?
"One more thing..."

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:06 pm

BobB wrote:I don't like to use the words "good" and "bad" in reference to the polygraph. It's definitely "useful." I do not agree with it being labeled as a lie detector either, when all it does is compare the body's physiological response to relevant, probable-lie, and control questions. Polygraphs can be beat with proper counter measures. For example, if you were asked if you have ever stolen a purse, and you answer "no," you might be completely innocent. However, your heart rate and blood pressure could sky rocket because you're reminded of the time your mom was mugged and you associate that stressful incident with purse-snatching, even though you've never stolen a purse. Do you drink more than you revealed on the pre-polygraph questionairre? You might not, but your best friend might be an alcoholic and the mere question irks you. So long as your responses to these questions are greater than your responses to probable-lie control questions (which everybody lies about), the polygraphist has no other option than to label you as deceptive. This, in essence, is how the polygraph works.

Don't think of a pink elephant.

.................. did you think of a pink elephant?

I'm sure there the polygraph is a hot button topic. From my limited experience it seemed to work fine. It would be interesting to get some people that have had firsthand experience in using a polygraph in the field to chime in.

agclarke@istar.ca

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm

PHB, I'll have to politely disagree with you on that one. :D Polygraphists claim a 90-95% success rate, but trained psychologists revealed a paltry 61% accuracy. To put that into perspective, most anyone off the street would score the same 61% success rate by pure chance. As I noted above, it's a great way to make people talk, and highly useful for interrogation purposes. :o As I mentioned, my only beef is that its proponents misrepresent its effectiveness and nature, rather than being truthful.
"One more thing..."

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 am

Hey all.
I have a question, after reading all this Poly staff my head hurts a little.

The question I have is:
If I became honest.. and state that:
- 17 years ago I drove a motor vehicle while I knew I had too much to drink.
- 15 years ago I change pricing on a product to pay less for it.
- 7 years ago I change pricing on 3 products to pay less.

I regret all this but it happened, cant change that.

Can I be charged with all this stuff if I simply admit to it on poly test?
Applying to RCMP we also fill the questionnaire, we sign it, thus addmit on paper with a signature.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:30 am

For specific RCMP polygraph related questions you should post a question in the "Ask an RCMP Recruiter" section.

agclarke@istar.ca

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks.. BHP

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Tatra wrote:Thanks.. BHP

I don't think the dyslexia will help... :D
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Rob wrote:I don't think the dyslexia will help... :D

:rolllaugh:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Oh noes! :o
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Rob wrote:
Tatra wrote:Thanks.. BHP

I don't think the dyslexia will help... :D

hehe.. you never know... it just might. :crazy:

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm resurrecting my old post regarding polygraph. I would love to see something in Blueline. I'm sure it has been in the past. Not since I have started reading though.

Have a great holidays people!

agclarke@istar.ca