Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Sparksry
Rookie Member

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Sparksry » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

I feel as if its definitely needed especially with any LE agency that goes door to door to conduct investigations and we work alone . THere was a article recently posted about the lack of equipment we have but a lot of that comes down to the lack of government funding .

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Sparksry wrote:I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

I feel as if its definitely needed especially with any LE agency that goes door to door to conduct investigations and we work alone . THere was a article recently posted about the lack of equipment we have but a lot of that comes down to the lack of government funding .

IMHO you guys should be armed. Great things you guys do!

MLEO1981
Rookie Member

Postby MLEO1981 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Zero2 wrote:Ontario needs to adopt the Alberta / NWT / Saskatchewan CPO/CSO program for it's MLEO services. Its a program that WORKS. Period. There's far too much total BS in Ontario....left hand literally has no idea what the right hand is doing and the MLEO business in Ontario is a mix n match of varying roles and appearances....in short a TOTAL CLUSTER FART....big time. Ontario needs to tighten up and start placing official mandates and roles into its MLEO programs.....even Security Guards have more uniformity and clarity.....it's frankly pathetic.

I couldn't agree with you more! It would be nice if the municipalities could sit down and discuss these things as a united front with the Province.

IndictableChaser
Grand Poobah

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 pm

FedCO wrote:
Sparksry wrote:I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

So they can handcuff people to cars easier?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 am

IndictableChaser wrote:
FedCO wrote:

So they can handcuff people to cars easier?

Well, he DID say door-to-door.

Too soon?

IndictableChaser
Grand Poobah

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 am

Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Thegoldrush
Rookie Member

Postby Thegoldrush » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:18 pm

This is clearly an older thread but I found it interesting. I just found out that bylaw officers in Winnipeg drive there personal vehicles except for the 2 supervisor trucks and the 5 marked vehicles they have for a specific bylaw unit. But from my understanding is that the regular bylaw officers drive personal vehicles, they get no use of force training and equipment and have no protective vest. I’ve seen there uniforms grey shirt with a crest black cargos similar to Alberta CPO uniform. Blows my mind how a city of 800,000 people with an extremely high crime rate, runs a bylaw department that way. It’s absurd

Highland2012
Veteran Member

Postby Highland2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:58 pm

I've seen quite a range of Bylaw officers, even being one myself for a time. Personally, the only thing I was equipped with was a stab vest to wear after hours and a radio; It was honestly the best job in the world though. My job basically entailed walking along the local beaches and doing alcohol dumps. The kinda pay sucked at 17-18 bucks an hour in 2010. I absolutely loved that job for what it was, a summer job to do while in university.

Its hard to compare that bylaw gig even though we were technically "Sworn" bylaw officers to the city guys I see now'a days. They are rocking dark blue uniforms, kevlar vests and duty belts with everything other then a side arm. The city guys are also making 80k a year, so it really depends on your municipality and how much they deem investing in their bylaw department.

Being such a large difference in what you consider "Bylaw Officers" its hard to determine what would be the best kit for the demographic your enforcing. All boils down to environment, risk assessment, funding and whether or not the employer is willing to listen to the needs of the officers.
Police Officer

Rob4613

Postby Rob4613 » Sun May 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:58 pm
I've seen quite a range of Bylaw officers, even being one myself for a time. Personally, the only thing I was equipped with was a stab vest to wear after hours and a radio; It was honestly the best job in the world though. My job basically entailed walking along the local beaches and doing alcohol dumps. The kinda pay sucked at 17-18 bucks an hour in 2010. I absolutely loved that job for what it was, a summer job to do while in university.

Its hard to compare that bylaw gig even though we were technically "Sworn" bylaw officers to the city guys I see now'a days. They are rocking dark blue uniforms, kevlar vests and duty belts with everything other then a side arm. The city guys are also making 80k a year, so it really depends on your municipality and how much they deem investing in their bylaw department.

Being such a large difference in what you consider "Bylaw Officers" its hard to determine what would be the best kit for the demographic your enforcing. All boils down to environment, risk assessment, funding and whether or not the employer is willing to listen to the needs of the officers.
Where I work, bylaw officers wear blue uniforms with vests. It’s very clearly visible on their vests as well that they are not police.

As for equipment, they are outfitted appropriately for their job, and should they need additional resources, police are only a radio call away. I can’t possibly see them needing firearms any time soon… hell the MTO would need them sooner than bylaw
Police Constable

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:24 am

Thegoldrush wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:18 pm
This is clearly an older thread but I found it interesting. I just found out that bylaw officers in Winnipeg drive there personal vehicles except for the 2 supervisor trucks and the 5 marked vehicles they have for a specific bylaw unit. But from my understanding is that the regular bylaw officers drive personal vehicles, they get no use of force training and equipment and have no protective vest. I’ve seen there uniforms grey shirt with a crest black cargos similar to Alberta CPO uniform. Blows my mind how a city of 800,000 people with an extremely high crime rate, runs a bylaw department that way. It’s absurd
Old thread but it popped up so.. Honestly considering many municipalities in Manitoba are contracting Commissionaires to do their By-law it would not surprise me to see Winnipeg move to contracted either. I believe they are pretty low paid here. If they demanded a big raise and a full fleet of vehicles it would likely push the city over the edge and they'd privatize it like they did with the City's long defunct Park Police.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon May 30, 2022 2:17 pm

In this day and age, it makes NO sense for ANY enforcement, EXCEPT very SPECIALIZED Units, to be conducted with UNMARKED vehicles.
For Animal / Fire Code / Noise / Parking / Unsightly Property issues, operate appropriately marked vehicles, issue appropriate uniform and LIMITED UofF tools, and give them radio access to the Police dispatch for crazy cat owner / hoarder / shadetree mechanics / whatever.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 to 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 to retirement (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
NPF Supporter
Not anonymous