Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Sparksry
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Sparksry » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

I feel as if its definitely needed especially with any LE agency that goes door to door to conduct investigations and we work alone . THere was a article recently posted about the lack of equipment we have but a lot of that comes down to the lack of government funding .

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2848
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby FedCO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Sparksry wrote:I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

I feel as if its definitely needed especially with any LE agency that goes door to door to conduct investigations and we work alone . THere was a article recently posted about the lack of equipment we have but a lot of that comes down to the lack of government funding .


IMHO you guys should be armed. Great things you guys do!

MLEO1981
Rookie Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby MLEO1981 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Zero2 wrote:Ontario needs to adopt the Alberta / NWT / Saskatchewan CPO/CSO program for it's MLEO services. Its a program that WORKS. Period. There's far too much total BS in Ontario....left hand literally has no idea what the right hand is doing and the MLEO business in Ontario is a mix n match of varying roles and appearances....in short a TOTAL CLUSTER FART....big time. Ontario needs to tighten up and start placing official mandates and roles into its MLEO programs.....even Security Guards have more uniformity and clarity.....it's frankly pathetic.


I couldn't agree with you more! It would be nice if the municipalities could sit down and discuss these things as a united front with the Province.

User avatar
IndictableChaser
Grand Poobah
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm
Location: Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 pm

FedCO wrote:
Sparksry wrote:I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

I feel as if its definitely needed especially with any LE agency that goes door to door to conduct investigations and we work alone . THere was a article recently posted about the lack of equipment we have but a lot of that comes down to the lack of government funding .


IMHO you guys should be armed. Great things you guys do!

So they can handcuff people to cars easier?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 am

IndictableChaser wrote:
FedCO wrote:
Sparksry wrote:I work as an OSPCA Agent and for gear we are given a outer vest and intermediate weapons such as an ASP and OC Spray .

I feel as if its definitely needed especially with any LE agency that goes door to door to conduct investigations and we work alone . THere was a article recently posted about the lack of equipment we have but a lot of that comes down to the lack of government funding .


IMHO you guys should be armed. Great things you guys do!

So they can handcuff people to cars easier?

Well, he DID say door-to-door.

Too soon?

User avatar
IndictableChaser
Grand Poobah
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm
Location: Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 am

Image
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Thegoldrush
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Thegoldrush » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:18 pm

This is clearly an older thread but I found it interesting. I just found out that bylaw officers in Winnipeg drive there personal vehicles except for the 2 supervisor trucks and the 5 marked vehicles they have for a specific bylaw unit. But from my understanding is that the regular bylaw officers drive personal vehicles, they get no use of force training and equipment and have no protective vest. I’ve seen there uniforms grey shirt with a crest black cargos similar to Alberta CPO uniform. Blows my mind how a city of 800,000 people with an extremely high crime rate, runs a bylaw department that way. It’s absurd

Highland2012
Veteran Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Highland2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:58 pm

I've seen quite a range of Bylaw officers, even being one myself for a time. Personally, the only thing I was equipped with was a stab vest to wear after hours and a radio; It was honestly the best job in the world though. My job basically entailed walking along the local beaches and doing alcohol dumps. The kinda pay sucked at 17-18 bucks an hour in 2010. I absolutely loved that job for what it was, a summer job to do while in university.

Its hard to compare that bylaw gig even though we were technically "Sworn" bylaw officers to the city guys I see now'a days. They are rocking dark blue uniforms, kevlar vests and duty belts with everything other then a side arm. The city guys are also making 80k a year, so it really depends on your municipality and how much they deem investing in their bylaw department.

Being such a large difference in what you consider "Bylaw Officers" its hard to determine what would be the best kit for the demographic your enforcing. All boils down to environment, risk assessment, funding and whether or not the employer is willing to listen to the needs of the officers.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int-Pass
Nov19 Med -pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int-pass
Feb20 Rit Int-pass
Mar20 Poly-pass
May20 BG-pass
Nov 21 SC Granted
Nov 21 Troop Assigned

Rob4613
Regular Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Rob4613 » Sun May 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:58 pm
I've seen quite a range of Bylaw officers, even being one myself for a time. Personally, the only thing I was equipped with was a stab vest to wear after hours and a radio; It was honestly the best job in the world though. My job basically entailed walking along the local beaches and doing alcohol dumps. The kinda pay sucked at 17-18 bucks an hour in 2010. I absolutely loved that job for what it was, a summer job to do while in university.

Its hard to compare that bylaw gig even though we were technically "Sworn" bylaw officers to the city guys I see now'a days. They are rocking dark blue uniforms, kevlar vests and duty belts with everything other then a side arm. The city guys are also making 80k a year, so it really depends on your municipality and how much they deem investing in their bylaw department.

Being such a large difference in what you consider "Bylaw Officers" its hard to determine what would be the best kit for the demographic your enforcing. All boils down to environment, risk assessment, funding and whether or not the employer is willing to listen to the needs of the officers.
Where I work, bylaw officers wear blue uniforms with vests. It’s very clearly visible on their vests as well that they are not police.

As for equipment, they are outfitted appropriately for their job, and should they need additional resources, police are only a radio call away. I can’t possibly see them needing firearms any time soon… hell the MTO would need them sooner than bylaw
Police Constable


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot and 1 guest