Quebec police training

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
samuelc124
Rookie Member

Quebec police training

Postby samuelc124 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:30 pm

Hello everyone!

From doing a bit of reasearch on the forum, I realized that residents of the province of Quebec are very few in here, and not much (or outdated) information is given on the process to becoming a police officer in Quebec.
Before starting to ask advices on different career paths that are available to me in regards my law enforcement education, I feel I can update or inform interested members of the forum as for the process of becoming a police officer in my province.

I have completed a 3 years police technology program in college, and right now attending the Quebec Police Academy, the ENPQ (École Nationale de Police du Québec).

Considering the pre-employment model at the ENPQ, I will graduate soon enough, yet have not been hired by any police corp.

Feel free to ask questions, I will do my best to answer precisely!

polarbear
King Poobah

Re: Quebec police training

Postby polarbear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 pm

samuelc124 wrote:Hello everyone!

From doing a bit of reasearch on the forum, I realized that residents of the province of Quebec are very few in here, and not much (or outdated) information is given on the process to becoming a police officer in Quebec.
Before starting to ask advices on different career paths that are available to me in regards my law enforcement education, I feel I can update or inform interested members of the forum as for the process of becoming a police officer in my province.

I have completed a 3 years police technology program in college, and right now attending the Quebec Police Academy, the ENPQ (École Nationale de Police du Québec).

Considering the pre-employment model at the ENPQ, I will graduate soon enough, yet have not been hired by any police corp.

Feel free to ask questions, I will do my best to answer precisely!

Where will you be applying?
POLICE OFFICER

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:19 pm

What training are you not offered at ENPQ that you would receive after you have been hired on by a police service? Just curious how complete of a police training curriculum applicants have access to without needing to be hired by a Police service.

Also, to attend ENPQ, what screening process is employed prior to being selected to attend?

I had a quick look at the website for ENPQ, but it is terrible to navigate and most of the pages on the English version still link to French.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm

SierraSeven wrote:What training are you not offered at ENPQ that you would receive after you have been hired on by a police service? Just curious how complete of a police training curriculum applicants have access to without needing to be hired by a Police service.

Also, to attend ENPQ, what screening process is employed prior to being selected to attend?

I had a quick look at the website for ENPQ, but it is terrible to navigate and most of the pages on the English version still link to French.

After ENPQ, you are fully qualified to work as a P/O without any further training.
POLICE OFFICER

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Interesting. Thanks polarbear.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

samuelc124
Rookie Member

Postby samuelc124 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Im reviving my own post! I completed the ENPQ program and got recently hired by the Montreal Police force. Sorry for taking so long to answer, I simply forgot I had an account in here and now subscribed to the private forum since I became LEO.

SierraSeven wrote:What training are you not offered at ENPQ that you would receive after you have been hired on by a police service? Just curious how complete of a police training curriculum applicants have access to without needing to be hired by a Police service.

Basically, we finish our collegial program from which we get close to no policing experience. Mostly law classes. Once admitted to the ENPQ (the Quebec police academy), we get all the gun training, use of force, scenarios, etc etc.

Since we only get hired AFTER doing the whole process, a lot of people that went through the whole thing never become police officers. The usually become special constable, correctional or other jobs like that. It really depends if municipal and provincial corps are hiring or not,

SierraSeven wrote:Also, to attend ENPQ, what screening process is employed prior to being selected to attend?

To enter police tech (3 years program): Physical testing, medical testings (eyes, ears, body check), background check and highschool/uni grades check. Nothing paid for. All to the appliants charge

To get to the ENPQ (15 weeks program): Physical, medical, psychometrics, judgment testing, background check. About 1000 appliants per year, 650ish get in. All to the appliants charge, including the 8000$ school fees.

Only then you apply to law enforcement agencies. To get to the Montreal Police force, I had to get an interview, scenarios testing, driving test, medical test, psychometrics, judgment test, deep personnal background check (and backgroung specific interview), then got hired.

Once in SPVM, we got another 4 weeks rookie program that included scenarios, gun re-testing and other fun stuff.

All in all, it took me 1 years from my end of the ENPQ to my debut as LEO.

SierraSeven wrote:I had a quick look at the website for ENPQ, but it is terrible to navigate and most of the pages on the English version still link to French.

They only get a minimal amount of english speaking trainees... feel free to ask any other question, ill try not to take over a year to answer haha

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:27 am

Congrats on getting hired. Welcome to the family.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi Samuel & bienvenue à Blueline,

I have a few questions about Quebec police training:
What % of ENPQ student graduate from the program?
What % of ENPQ students get hired to the police service after graduating?
What level of French comprehension do English speakers need to get hired in Quebec?

Thank you
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Postby A.blackburn » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Savez-vous s'il est préférable au niveau de la formation de faire les 3 années? Je suis en dilemme si j'applique en TP l'année prochaine ou si je termine mon bac pour ensuite appliquer comme conventionnel. En bref, pensez-vous que la formation est incomplète où les cours coupés sont vraiment sans intérêt?
Police Officer

A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Postby A.blackburn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:38 am

mack_silent wrote:Hi Samuel & bienvenue à Blueline,

I have a few questions about Quebec police training:
What % of ENPQ student graduate from the program?
What % of ENPQ students get hired to the police service after graduating?
What level of French comprehension do English speakers need to get hired in Quebec?

Thank you

98% graduate from the program. (60% at first)
55% are hired within 6 months. (Its getting harder these days)
You need to be functionaly bilingual.

Hope it helps,

Alex
Police Officer

MtRoyal
Rookie Member

Postby MtRoyal » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:54 am

I am going to apply to police tech this year at Jhon Abbott (I believe it's the only college that has this program) I'm taking some credit courses at dawson,getting ready for the physical test and have the evaluation of my diploma(from europe) but I'm still so nervous I might not get in.
How hard is it to get in and any tips to increase my chances?

A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Postby A.blackburn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:02 am

MtRoyal wrote:I am going to apply to police tech this year at Jhon Abbott (I believe it's the only college that has this program) I'm taking some credit courses at dawson,getting ready for the physical test and have the evaluation of my diploma(from europe) but I'm still so nervous I might not get in.
How hard is it to get in and any tips to increase my chances?

John abbot, ahuntsic and maisonneuve offers the tech po program nearby montreal. Even if John Abbot program is in english you'll also use a lot of french. It is hard to get it but at least you can do the physical test before you apply since it's usually in december for john abbot. If you do well (cardio has the most points if I remember correctly) and have good grades then or course you'll get in. The physical test is on their website.

Wish you luck,

Alex
Police Officer