LESD Diploma

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
Kd213
Rookie Member

LESD Diploma

Postby Kd213 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:36 am

Hey, so i've been browsing the forum lately and some people have said this diploma is useless. Those of you who have done the diploma, how was it and what kind of job did you go into after? I am planning on going to the jibc here in BC and this program really seems interesting to me. I hope to join the cbsa after l , if not is a decent job possible with this diploma? Any information is appreciated, thanks.

th
Veteran Member

Re: LESD Diploma

Postby th » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 am

Why not look into an Associate of Arts program at Kwatlen, Langara, Capp, Douglas or the like? Pick electives that will give you useful skills like a second language, computers skills ... stuff like that.
:wave:

Kd213
Rookie Member

Postby Kd213 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:38 pm

http://www.jibc.ca/programs-courses/sch ... es-diploma. Well ive done a couple semesters at kwantlen in a different program and didnt really like it. This program is really interesting to me as it is really hands on, but the only reason im having doubts is because im not sure of the job possibilities after getting the diploma.

ct138
Rookie Member

Postby ct138 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:42 pm

hey, sorry to bring back an old topic, but this is exactly what brought me to this forum, the question posted above...

has anyone on the forum taken this 2 year, $12,000 course and found it to be useful or a waste of time?

i know there are a lot of people saying go to KPU or douglas ect, that's not what i'm asking though...

arabianknight13
Rookie Member

Postby arabianknight13 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm

ct138 wrote:hey, sorry to bring back an old topic, but this is exactly what brought me to this forum, the question posted above...

has anyone on the forum taken this 2 year, $12,000 course and found it to be useful or a waste of time?

i know there are a lot of people saying go to KPU or douglas ect, that's not what i'm asking though...

I have completed this diploma and graduated in Dec 2013. It certainly is useful as it helps with both post-secondary minimum/preferred requirements. I just got accepted to Troop 3 for this month. However, when I go to Depot, I'll be able to see whether this diploma gives me an upper edge or it's just another diploma so I can't say for sure at the moment :ponder: .

Keep in mind though...It's not just education that recruiters look at. As has been said on this forum millions of times, it's a collective look of you and your file. Volunteering, work experience, school, fitness, etc...

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:06 am

LESD wouldn't hurt, I am taking criminal justice at a local university and it has opened a few doors. Not just with education though, I've made friends with instructors who have personally helped me getting into LEO. I had a former chief of police write me a letter of reference, and a ex-Mountie with 40 yrs experience help me with fitness training. These are professors that aren't even at the JI.. I'm sure it would be a goldmine..

If I had a choice to start over I would go into LESD for sure. My Crim education included other more academic things where as LESD is more LEO focused. There's no firearms instruction in my curriculum and certainly no uniforms or driver training. I would happily trade stats, math and advanced poetry for something a little more exciting.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med - pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar20 Poly- pass
May20 BG- pass