Career Path Advice to become a Police Officer

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
blu-RAY
Rookie Member

Career Path Advice to become a Police Officer

Postby blu-RAY » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm new around here and just wondering what you think my best path to take given my situation. I was enrolled in University for a Criminology degree but didnt end up completing it due to Academic Suspension, and can't finish that degree until 2 years has passed until I can apply to finish off my degree. I am currently in the process of possibly getting a security job with G4S and planning to maintain it the next couple years to come until I figure things out.

During these two years, I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to make use of my time and money to becoming a Police Officer in Toronto, York or Durham Region, and possibly OPP later on in the future. I've been doing an abundance of reading in regards to the many threads about Police Foundations, and after reading I think I've decided to stay off that route. Before, I was debating applying to a college to a two year PF program or that 10 month program with that private PF training school. But after reading how it doesnt exactly hinder or benefit you to becoming a cop with a PF diploma/college degree, I was wondering what my other options were. Suggestions? :ponder:

If becoming a police officer doesnt work out in the end, I'd like to fall back with Border Line/Customs Services, Immigrations Officer, Court Services, or something law enforcement related.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Re: Career Path Advice to become a Police Officer

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Elaborate on the academic suspension.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Academic Suspension is usually for a long string of crap marks.
:wave:

blu-RAY
Rookie Member

Postby blu-RAY » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:If I were in your shoes, I'd just apply and see what they say. If they take you, great. If not, they'll tell you what you need to work on.

Yeah I was thinking I'd do my OACP and complete all the testing just to see.

meathead1 wrote:Elaborate on the academic suspension.

I was academically suspended because I wasnt able to keep my GPA up. I failed 3 courses in a span of two semesters, which I deeply regret now but still want to go back eventually and finish my degree later on.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:51 pm

You may not be able to go back to your program full time, but a very, very long time ago I was in a similar situation and discovered, too late, that I could have taken a few courses on a part time basis and shown the administration that I was worth re-admitting.

Got booted, got a full-time job, went to reapply after my year of working and thinking how stupid I had been, and when I talked to the registrar's office they said "Ah, zut alors, your marks, zey is not good enough to continue in zees program." "Uh, yeah, that's why you suspended me, remember...?"

That's when I found out they had actually expected me to improve my GPA with part-time studies while serving the suspension. Of course they didn't mention this a year earlier.

To this day I curse the registrar's office at the U of O. (Finished at Queen's instead, HA!!!)

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 am

GoodWitness wrote:You may not be able to go back to your program full time, but a very, very long time ago I was in a similar situation and discovered, too late, that I could have taken a few courses on a part time basis and shown the administration that I was worth re-admitting.

Got booted, got a full-time job, went to reapply after my year of working and thinking how stupid I had been, and when I talked to the registrar's office they said "Ah, zut alors, your marks, zey is not good enough to continue in zees program." "Uh, yeah, that's why you suspended me, remember...?"

That's when I found out they had actually expected me to improve my GPA with part-time studies while serving the suspension. Of course they didn't mention this a year earlier.

To this day I curse the registrar's office at the U of O. (Finished at Queen's instead, HA!!!)

UofO is a special school. My wife did her post graduate degree there and the things made me shake my head. Her and her friend had the exact same marks in the exact same classes in undergrad. Friend got a 5000 dollar scholarship, wife got 2500. Wife called and ask what was up and was told that was all she was getting. So she paid her tuition. Two weeks later she gets an email saying it should have been 5000 grand and will be kept as a credit til the next year. She asked for the money to do things like pay rent and was told nope. It has to be applied as a credit.
K division.

blu-RAY
Rookie Member

Postby blu-RAY » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:58 pm

After talking to some cops in the Durham region and some Security Managers who had co-workers become cops recently, they've told me that volunteering somewhere that exposes you to the community and such is what I could do during this two year academic suspension with my time. In addition to holding down a job in security or loss prevention.

If I don't plan on being an auxilary officer for more than 2 years or less, should I even apply? I think I read in the other thread that they only look for people looking to hold the auxilary position for longer?

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Joining an Auxiliary program can help when applying to a police service - especially when it's the Auxiliary program for the service you are applying to. What I was told when I joined the Aux. is they expect you to stick around for at least two years. If they happen to hire you on before that, no problem. If you quit the Aux before the two years and then apply to become a police officer, it will been seen as a big negative. As Dave made very clear, recruiters are looking for you to demonstrate that you stick with whatever it is you are doing. Along those lines - if you are already volunteering with youth, keep it up. Don't try to join an Auxiliary program unless you have a true interest, and plan to continue for a number of years even if you never do get hired on as a PC.

One other thing - it is generally considered acceptable to join the Aux. in order to confirm whether you really do want to become a police officer. You get the opportunity to see a bit of what officers do on a daily basis, and may get to do regular ride-alongs to witness what a patrol shift looks like. If you decide you don't want to become a PC, the service has saved money by not training you up all the way just to see you quit when you hit the street.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

blu-RAY
Rookie Member

Postby blu-RAY » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for the info and advice Homer! Appreciate it.

Chipmaker79
Rookie Member

Postby Chipmaker79 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 pm

Any education is better than no education. Whether that be PF or something else. Volunteering doesn't have to be elaborate, just do it, as was mentioned earlier, not just started doing it once you did the OACP testing.

When I did my LFI in Ottawa, the officer I was with told me a story about how I need to make my biggest weakness by greatest strength. He told the story of a guy that was in my chair 7 yrs earlier and was an recovering alcoholic. The guy woke up one day in the drunk tank and said "what the hell am I doing with my life?" He went back to school, got his teacher's certificate and became a teacher in the bad part of town. He used his life experiences as teaching aids. With that, use your academic suspension as a tool to be better. What did you do to correct your poor marks and get back in the program? Did you just sit with your tail between your legs and seek sorrow and pity from others or did you go out and do something. Did you choose another program and applied yourself to the fullest and got great marks, etc

As for security and loss prevention, it's a great way to get used to the job, some places have rotating schedules, so you're used to that when you're hired, you're also used to being in uniform and writing reports as well as keeping notes, being yelled at. In loss prevention you get used to arrests and collecting evidence for court. You also have a great exposure to the police so if you want to apply where you're working, you are building contacts along the way. Officers move around so much that an officer that always came to your store for an arrest may be in recruiting when you're ready to apply and he/she already knows what you're capable of from your work as a L.P. Obviously this could also work against you if you're a complete tool in your job and the police are always asking for more prove that someone stole. Thankfully in over 100 arrests I had in a year and a half, not once was this ever a concern. I also built a lot of contacts with the local police as it was normally the same officers coming. They knew when they got the call there wasn't a question of if someone stole based on my history with them.

Some services will waive the 2 yr commitment to Aux if you apply to their service and are hired, you're not thought of negatively, but only do that if you can commit 2 yrs to the program regardless. They spend a lot of money doing the interviews and background was well as training for you to just up and leave after a month or so.

Best of luck in the process.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:06 pm

You realize that you have just replied to a 7-year-old thread, and the OP has not been back since 2013?

Nice of you to offer advice, but the OP has long since moved on, and your advice has been offered literally thousands of times in this forum since then.