Firearm Training LMD

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Firearm Training LMD

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:10 pm

Silvercore Corp out of Delta BC - LMD

For sidearm training, does any one have any experience with the firm? beside the lawsuit and dropped charges.
Would you recommend their program and instructors?

I was thinking of PAL first then HandGun level I and II
Last edited by Dave Brown on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edited to remove links
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

90anv
Rookie Member

Re: Firearm Training LMD

Postby 90anv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:46 am

I was referred to Mike K for my training. He does non-restricted and restricted in 2 days for $150 and will come to your house for the training. He teaches a maximum of 6 guys at once. It’s a really good deal, although I am not sure if he does any specific hand gun training like silvercore.

If you want I will PM you his info.

Silvercore
Rookie Member

Postby Silvercore » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Podhalan,

We have a large pool of instructors to call upon for firearms training, each with their own unique qualities they bring to the course but always teaching to our core course syllabus. Silvercore employs many instructors with a military or law enforcement background as we find that is an asset in our industry. We are also responsible for training a large number of the currently active CFSC/CRFSC instructors in the lower mainland and across BC. That being said, there are many instructors in the lower mainland that have at least been trained to teach to our standard, provided the continue on that path it’s just a matter of finding an instructor that has availability that matches yours at a price you can handle. With Silvercore, you don’t have to shoulder the responsibility of finding other students to make a course worthwhile for the instructor to visit your house and you are also able maintain your own personal privacy.

Silvercore has been offering firearms training since 1994 and was incorporated in 2003, we are the leaders in the industry and you have the advantage of booking out of our multiple locations as well as transferring dates to any other available course if life throws a wrench in things. Also, if you are a current LEO or military we offer an additional 10% off the CFSC/CRFSC.

As for our handgun training, our HG1 course is designed to give the shooter a very strong foundation on which to build upon. If you have documented previous professional handgun training that covers our HG1 curriculum, you are welcome to skip ahead to HG2. Not listed on the website is our HG3 course which we offer on request and covers reality based scenario training combined with Canadian court defensible force on force training. Silvercore is a Federally certified Use of Force training school and we draw upon this for our HG3 course.

We encourage you to ask our past students opinions prior to committing to a training program, and if there is anything that we can help you with please don’t hesitate to call our office.

Take care,

Travis Bader

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Silvercore wrote:Hi Podhalan,

We have a large pool of instructors to call upon for firearms training, each with their own unique qualities they bring to the course but always teaching to our core course syllabus. Silvercore employs many instructors with a military or law enforcement background as we find that is an asset in our industry. We are also responsible for training a large number of the currently active CFSC/CRFSC instructors in the lower mainland and across BC. That being said, there are many instructors in the lower mainland that have at least been trained to teach to our standard, provided the continue on that path it’s just a matter of finding an instructor that has availability that matches yours at a price you can handle. With Silvercore, you don’t have to shoulder the responsibility of finding other students to make a course worthwhile for the instructor to visit your house and you are also able maintain your own personal privacy.

Silvercore has been offering firearms training since 1994 and was incorporated in 2003, we are the leaders in the industry and you have the advantage of booking out of our multiple locations as well as transferring dates to any other available course if life throws a wrench in things. Also, if you are a current LEO or military we offer an additional 10% off the CFSC/CRFSC.

As for our handgun training, our HG1 course is designed to give the shooter a very strong foundation on which to build upon. If you have documented previous professional handgun training that covers our HG1 curriculum, you are welcome to skip ahead to HG2. Not listed on the website is our HG3 course which we offer on request and covers reality based scenario training combined with Canadian court defensible force on force training. Silvercore is a Federally certified Use of Force training school and we draw upon this for our HG3 course.

We encourage you to ask our past students opinions prior to committing to a training program, and if there is anything that we can help you with please don’t hesitate to call our office.

Take care,

Travis Bader

Thanks.. PM sent.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Sorry for the link Dave, didn't think it was a big deal.

Silvercore
Rookie Member

Postby Silvercore » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Podhalan,

For some reason I keep getting the following error message when I try to respond to your pm:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1966080 bytes) in /var/vhosts/forums.blueline.ca/www/includes/utf/data/utf_compatibility_decomp.php on line 2

Please feel free to email the Silvercore info address and I will respond ASAP.

Thank you and take care.

Travis.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:45 am

Silvercore wrote:Podhalan,

For some reason I keep getting the following error message when I try to respond to your pm:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1966080 bytes) in /var/vhosts/forums.blueline.ca/www/includes/utf/data/utf_compatibility_decomp.php on line 2

Please feel free to email the Silvercore info address and I will respond ASAP.

Thank you and take care.

Travis.

sorry about that, outa ma hand.

PM resend with E@

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:29 am

No problem pod; just remember that we don't allow advertising on our forum. If companies want to advertise, that is what supports the magazine. The forum is a free service to our many members around the world, and Blue Line eats all the costs. (Mods and admins are all volunteers.)

And before anyone signs up for CFSC courses, they should check the schedules. If someone is offering a 12-hour CFSC plus an 8-hour CRFSC in only two short days, they are not delivering everything the student is supposed to get or are cutting out something somewhere. I am sure there are very experienced instructors out there who can do it for very small groups, but beware of instructors offering "mini" or "short" courses when they are not allowed to do this. Students should get the FULL course, or they challenge the tests; there is no in-between.

That being said, I would be a happy man if every police officer in Canada had taken the CFSC/CRFSC. (Sadly, there might have been a few more police officers still alive today if that were so. Training accidents still account for a disproportionate amount of officer injuries and deaths. One should read "Training at the Speed of Life" by Kenneth R. Murray for an eye-opening look at safety in modern police realism training. It was reviewed a few years ago right here in the pages of Blue Line.)

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:55 am

Dave Brown wrote:No problem pod; just remember that we don't allow advertising on our forum. If companies want to advertise, that is what supports the magazine. The forum is a free service to our many members around the world, and Blue Line eats all the costs. (Mods and admins are all volunteers.)

And before anyone signs up for CFSC courses, they should check the schedules. If someone is offering a 12-hour CFSC plus an 8-hour CRFSC in only two short days, they are not delivering everything the student is supposed to get or are cutting out something somewhere. I am sure there are very experienced instructors out there who can do it for very small groups, but beware of instructors offering "mini" or "short" courses when they are not allowed to do this. Students should get the FULL course, or they challenge the tests; there is no in-between.

That being said, I would be a happy man if every police officer in Canada had taken the CFSC/CRFSC. (Sadly, there might have been a few more police officers still alive today if that were so. Training accidents still account for a disproportionate amount of officer injuries and deaths. One should read "Training at the Speed of Life" by Kenneth R. Murray for an eye-opening look at safety in modern police realism training. It was reviewed a few years ago right here in the pages of Blue Line.)

I guess you mean "actual pages" as in the magazine?? Not blueline "forum" pages..... :(
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Actual pages, yes. One of our many services to subscribers. Time to bust out the ole walley and let some of the moths emerge. It is only $25 per year. (Or free if you filled in a subscriber card at the trade show.)

You can't beat the cost. You get eight tightly-written issues every year packed with interesting information. (You actually get TEN issues a year, but I do articles in several of them, which pretty much negates the "tightly-written" and "interesting information" part. The only reason they keep me on is because I have a really really good editor and a long-suffering but patient publisher. Not to mention, I keep our Blue Line legal department fully employed, and they are now taking up four whole floors in our 14-story international corporate headquarters building here at 4981 Highway #7 East in beautiful downtown Markham.)

And, by the way, Ken Murray's book "Training at the Speed of Life" should be required reading for anyone organizing or conducting police training of any kind. It pretty much elaborates on Dave Brown's number one rule of training, that states, "Don't get participants hurt in training, no matter how realistic you are trying to make it. Keep them happy and healthy so that one day they get to actually USE the skills you are teaching them!"

Yeah, I know ... I'm a rebel.

Silvercore
Rookie Member

Postby Silvercore » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 pm

There is some good advice being given in this thread. Training at the Speed of life is an extremely well written text on the subject of RBT and one that we used when developing our RBT training.

As mentioned above, beware of instructors who wish to "rush" you through any course with profit being their only motivator. That being said, don't confuse the length of a course with the quality of the instruction. A few years back, our company was contracted to oversee and improve upon a basic firearms safety course being offered by the Justice Institute of BC. Their course spanned 3 evenings and 1 full day on the weekend for the Non-restricted portion and 2 evenings and 1 full day on the weekend of the Restricted portion. Although the course spanned many hours, the students were walking away with less knowledge and confidence than some shorter courses offered. One of many examples of improvement that we implemented at the JI was allowing the students to handle the deactivated firearms throughout the course and not just 1 hour before testing. This allowed the students to make mistakes which they can then learn from in a safe environment.

Python

Postby Python » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:54 am

Podhalan wrote:Silvercore Corp out of Delta BC - LMD

For sidearm training, does any one have any experience with the firm? beside the lawsuit and dropped charges.
Would you recommend their program and instructors?

I was thinking of PAL first then HandGun level I and II

Definitely get your RPAL, it's a great sport/hobby.

I've never had any training from Silvercore and I can't comment on their training. As you are an auxiliary you may want to check Court Services Online (https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearch/esearchHome.do) and see if anybody associated with the outfit has a court date coming up with regards to what happened in 2008 prior to dealing with them.

As for any lawsuits, which I also can't comment on as I've never seen any statement(s) of claim, it could make for an uncomfortable shift if you're going for training with people that are suing your partner (I know I'd feel a little bit awkward, but that's just me ;) ).

I'm not sure what detachment you're out of but I'm sure there are BFIs there that would love to go out shooting with you. There are also other courses being offered at different times and places in LMD as well as semi-competitive shoots at different ranges.

I've bumped into Mike K several times at the range and in different shops. I've found him to be a pretty decent guy who doesn't mind helping people out. I know he does the full RPAL course and testing, I'm not sure about if he does any handgun coaching/training.

:wave: I'm brand new to this site so I hope I haven't stepped on any toes or crossed any lines, if I did I'm sorry :oops: . I'm very pro-law enforcement and am a big proponent of training and lawful firearms ownership and use. I also like to have fun and rarely mean for anything to be personal.
Take care and stay safe.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks Python.

Will look around.
We, as Aux are kinda on our own on this one here. Unfortunately, firearm training of any kind in even the shadow of RCMP is NO, NO here. It wont happen. I know some areas, different divisions etc., provide some training but not here in 'E'.
Here, the only way any practice will happen is if a Member take us to the range and let us 'play', no official or semi-official training will be provided as far as I know.
I will ask BFI to get input but I doubt it will happen unless I know one very good on personal level, which I don't.

So I am on my own. I will get some training for mutual benefit, even if I have to pay for it all by myself. After all, it's my safety.

Silvercore
Rookie Member

Postby Silvercore » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 am

I feel now is an appropriate time to respond to the post made by the user named “Python” and to uphold my and my companies good name.

It strikes me as odd that you bring up this lawsuit when there has been no other talk relating to it. I also find it curious that you mention not having read the statement of claim as you are listed in it. When you use the same username on most of the forums you visit, it doesn’t take long for someone to piece together your identity. The readers here should have an opportunity to gauge for themselves why you are recommending your known friend as a firearms instructor over Silvercore Inc.

***Edited to remove identity of a forum member. Do NOT expose member's real names without permission of both themselves and Blue Line***

Finally, anyone wishing to hear the public opinion of Crown in contrast to Pythons regarding myself and my business you are welcome to read here:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Firear ... story.html

As for me, I will continue to operate my business in the same legal and ethical way I always have.

Merry Christmas to all.

Travis Bader
Silvercore Inc.

PYTHON

Definitely get your RPAL, it's a great sport/hobby.

I've never had any training from Silvercore and I can't comment on their training. As you are an auxiliary you may want to check Court Services Online (https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/esear ... rchHome.do) and see if anybody associated with the outfit has a court date coming up with regards to what happened in 2008 prior to dealing with them.

As for any lawsuits, which I also can't comment on as I've never seen any statement(s) of claim, it could make for an uncomfortable shift if you're going for training with people that are suing your partner (I know I'd feel a little bit awkward, but that's just me ).

I'm not sure what detachment you're out of but I'm sure there are BFIs there that would love to go out shooting with you. There are also other courses being offered at different times and places in LMD as well as semi-competitive shoots at different ranges.

I've bumped into Mike K several times at the range and in different shops. I've found him to be a pretty decent guy who doesn't mind helping people out. I know he does the full RPAL course and testing, I'm not sure about if he does any handgun coaching/training.

I'm brand new to this site so I hope I haven't stepped on any toes or crossed any lines, if I did I'm sorry . I'm very pro-law enforcement and am a big proponent of training and lawful firearms ownership and use. I also like to have fun and rarely mean for anything to be personal.
Last edited by Silvercore on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 am

Oh.. Boy.
I wish you didn't. Yes, I knew about it for a while.

Even though "I'm" not part of the area, I have spent a lot of hours in the car with him. All I can say... great trainer.

It is very sad that it involves a Member I know and worked with.
Last edited by Tango5 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.