Washington Redskins name change

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Washington Redskins name change

Postby Longarm9 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:49 am

ArcticCop wrote:
Longarm9 wrote:Interesting fact: the term "Eskimo" is the first nations (tribes from southerly parts of Canada) word for the inuit, and means "foreigner." The term inuit is their own term and means simply "the people."

Yeah that first just isnt true at all. Thats the more interesting fact- youre wrong.

The more interesting fact still is that you're wrong in stating I'm wrong. 2 minutes of Google search proves me right (from wikipedia):

"The second proposal, from Jose Mailhot, a Quebec anthropologist who speaks Montagnais, published a paper in 1978 which suggested, alternatively, that the meaning is "people who speak a different language".[13][14] French traders who encountered the Montagnais in the eastern areas, adopted their word for the more western peoples."

People who speak a different language - in other words, foreigners.

What I was not aware of was that there is more than one proposed etymology for the word. Looks like we both learned something today.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:38 am

First World problems :roll:

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:20 am

Yes....Wikipedia is the most trusting source on the internet. :roll:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:55 am

basketcase wrote:Yes....Wikipedia is the most trusting source on the internet. :roll:

The sources are cited. Go check them yourself.

(Also, btw, the word you wanted was "trusted")
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:10 am

Autocorrect.

In any event. Eskimo was originally believed to mean "eater of raw meat" and was given by English speaking folks. Eventually it was discovered to likely be an Ojibwa word meaning "to net snowshoes". Inuit simply means "people".

Multiple sources not from Wikipedia including http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

bigbadjoe108
Sage Member

Postby bigbadjoe108 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 am

basketcase wrote:Autocorrect.

In any event. Eskimo was originally believed to mean "eater of raw meat" and was given by English speaking folks. Eventually it was discovered to likely be an Ojibwa word meaning "to net snowshoes". Inuit simply means "people".

Multiple sources not from Wikipedia including http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/.

That is what I was taught in elementary. I always thought it weird that there was a Canadian team named that.

To be honest I never knew that the term "Redskin" was on the same vein as r*tard or the n word. That changes my perspective on things.

I thought that it was more of a general description like some would be called "whitey" or simply black. If it does have all that negative stuff attached, I would think it should go.

The team sucks anyways.
VVV

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 am

basketcase wrote:Yes....Wikipedia is the most trusting source on the internet. :roll:

Our det commander publishes op orders for things we do during the year. His main source (which he cites heavily) is Wikipedia.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 pm

The original place I heard the "foreigners/people who speak a different language" defintion was from a documentary on the inuit, probably national film board of canada or something, although it was some years ago.

In any case, that's all either here nor there. If the name carries so much baggage that it's deeply offensive to a group of people, go ahead and change it. It can't be good for business at any rate.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 pm

I once used Wikipedia as part of my "I do drive a Tow Truck" defense in Parry Sound (and won)... :tumbleweed:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

bigbadjoe108
Sage Member

Postby bigbadjoe108 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:07 pm

According to this article the situation is now resolved.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/06/washington-redskins/
VVV

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Did anyone see the season premiere of South Park? :mrgreen:

http://deadline.com/2014/09/redskins-fcc-fines-broadcasters-considers-843913/

Today’s announcement, weirdly, puts the FCC in bed with Comedy Central, which has been leading the charge against the team name of late. Last week, South Park opened its 18th season with a highly hyped takedown of Snyder. (Watch a clip above.) The boys of South Park launch a company on Kickstarter and decide to call their company the Washington Redskins, because it’s available since the “court thingy.” Animated Dan Snyder argues that it makes his team seem a joke and says he’s deeply offended, to which Cartman responds that the gang has a deep appreciation and admiration for Snyder’s “people.” Privately, however, the boys acknowledge “digging in our heels and pissing on public opinion is what the Redskins are all about!” Snyder turns to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who is revealed to be a robot with only a limited repertoire of cliches — and they’ve all been used in his handling of the league’s domestic violence scandal. (Goodell’s voice makes its South Park debut in that scene.)
CX-1 @ Millhaven

IrishCop

Postby IrishCop » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:35 am

It doesn't worry the All Blacks,

http://www.allblacks.com/