Sask Premier criticized for letting underage daughter drive

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Sask Premier criticized for letting underage daughter drive

Postby SPC » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Sask. premier criticized for letting underage daughter drive
Last Updated: Thursday, March 13, 2008 | 8:29 AM CT Comments2Recommend4CBC News
Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall is under fire for letting his 14-year-old daughter drive on a gravel road even though the law requires teens to be at least 15 to obtain a learner's licence.

Wall mentioned the incident in a speech to delegates attending the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities conference in Regina this week.

"I took my 14-year-old daughter driving on a grid road south of Swift Current. Should I say that, actually, do you think?" he said, which got a good laugh from the audience.

Later in a scrum with reporters, he joked that he had confessed to enough illegal acts for one day.

The NDP Opposition wants the premier to apologize for breaking the law and then joking about it.

Former NDP justice minister Frank Quennell said although this is not a major crime, the public expects the people who make the laws to keep them or change them.

'We don't condone underage driving'
Although Wall was not available for comment because he is in New York, Justice Minister Don Morgan said the government does not support breaking the law.

"We don't condone underage driving in our province and, you know, if the RCMP were to happen along, they would have the opportunity to lay charges. They've got discretion whether they do or not," Morgan said.

But learning how to drive early is common practice, he said.

"Most people in this province learned to drive in rural Saskatchewan before they were of legal age," he said. "That seems to be the norm. It doesn't make it legal, it doesn't make it right."

The age restriction is in place to promote public safety, he added, and there are no plans to change the law in that regard.

A convention delegate who heard the speech said there is a big difference between driving around the farmyard and driving on a public road with other traffic.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Re: Sask Premier criticized for letting underage daughter drive

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:18 pm

SPC wrote:

"Most people in this province learned to drive in rural Saskatchewan before they were of legal age," he said.

That's actually very true.
Sed libera nos a malo.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
SPC wrote:

"Most people in this province learned to drive in rural Saskatchewan before they were of legal age," he said.

Living proof of why it's a bad idea.:nono:
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:47 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
SPC wrote:

Obviously it doesn't work, hey SD?? You're living proof.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 pm

SPC wrote:Obviously it doesn't work, hey SD?? You're living proof.

I'm merely one example. I can pretty much guarantee you any kid who grew up on a farm started driving even before they were 14.

Could be worse. Alberta lets you onto the main roads at only 14. :shock:
Sed libera nos a malo.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:54 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

I'm merely one example. I can pretty much guarantee you any kid who grew up on a farm started driving even before they were 14.

Not without an adult over the age of 18. With that said, I remember driving a few times with my dad when I was pretty young. He was training me to drive a manual transmission...can't remember if I was under 14 at the time or not, but I think I may have been. Either way, it doesn't sound like anything malicious happened with the Premier's daughter.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:30 pm

metallicat wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

Not without an adult over the age of 18. With that said, I remember driving a few times with my dad when I was pretty young. He was training me to drive a manual transmission...can't remember if I was under 14 at the time or not, but I think I may have been. Either way, it doesn't sound like anything malicious happened with the Premier's daughter.

Do you think I was out on the grid roads driving without a parent when I was 14? I don't think so.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 pm

My Brother & I were operating every piece of equipment there was on the farm by age 12, as long as you could reach the pedals all the way in, you were expected to run it. Never drove an actual vehicle (truck) on the back roads until 16 & a 365 in hand with Dad beside us.
Learning on a 3 in the tree 68 Chevy C10, no power steering. Everyone should learn on a standard, the old toe/heel hold it on the hill trick for your driver's test,,, ;)
My youngest is still on her G1 & taking Driver's Ed.
Beer Me !

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:33 pm

:aye:

That's where I got my first taste of driving, on my friend's Farm! Either his old Tractor with a big grass clipper in tow, or booting around in an old Jeep... Did I ever mention that a bale of straw dropped on my head one time? That was before the self inflicted steel bar incident. :twitch:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:02 pm

Respond Wayne wrote::aye:

That's where I got my first taste of driving, on my friend's Farm! Either his old Tractor with a big grass clipper in tow, or booting around in an old Jeep... Did I ever mention that a bale of straw dropped on my head one time? That was before the self inflicted steel bar incident. :twitch:

Yup, the first one we got to use was our Ford 8N, you caught on real quick that the best job in haying season was driving the tractor pulling the wagon, learn to back it up smartly the first time & never make Dad do it for you, because once out of the seat, someone else was going to grab it & you were lifting bales. The art of running a bailer without live PTO on a Ford 8N and not stahling or plugging the bailer :thumbsup:
Our old "jeep" was a 56 chevy truck, field use only.
You sure learned how to fix things on the spot back then too, theres a lot of truth to fence wire & bailer twine. :lol:
Beer Me !

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Oh, and I can't forget my first time siphoning fuel out of something to put in one of his Snow Mobiles... :puke:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:Oh, and I can't forget my first time siphoning fuel out of something to put in one of his Snow Mobiles... :puke:

I can't remember what model it was, all I remember was a black Mercury, that used to take the skin off of your knuckles to pull start it. It couldn't have been much more than 18 hp, but it was fun.
Nothing like the ode du two stroke after riding around for a bit. :mrgreen:

Your not supposed to swallow that stuff you know,,, :smirk:
Beer Me !

lex
Rookie Member

Postby lex » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:56 pm

I learned how to drive on a friends farm when I was about 9. Nothing illegal about it as we were on private property. I have to agree that this is only making the news because of 2 things.... A.) Its Saskatchewan and it is really is news there. ;) B.) It is the Premiere and that makes him a target for the oppostition (NDP were the ones to call him out on it).
Most of us remember when driving offenses were far harder get hit with. Hell, I remember lying on the ledge above the back seat in a big black Lincoln almost the entire way to Chicago when I was a kid. I liked to wave to the otehr drivers when my dad passed them. Can't even consider having a kid do that these days. 88)