First Week at CBSA School

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
Jonny Utah
Sage Member

First Week at CBSA School

Postby Jonny Utah » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:51 am

Hello all.

It has been a while since I have had a chance to really post in detail.

Well, as the topic states, my first rollercoaster week at Rigaud came to an end this friday with an exam!

Im not really sure how much im allowed to talk about the content of the program and such. They have hammered into us about not talking about what we are doing there and about the exams etc.

Anyway, first week was immigration training. Not really difficult stuff, just a MASSIVE amount of information to digest in three days and then write an exam on. I deffinately had to study each night to keep up but its not really that bad. I think my exam went very well.

As for the rest of it, the food is not bad, the facilities are GREAT, the gym is awesome, huge pool, and tons of sports organized all the time. so far most of the people in my class (3 groups of 18 students) are great and im already developing some great frienships.

I will post more as we get going further along. Apparently it only gets heavier in terms of workload and studying and such. I am having fun and managin the stress of the pass/fail system.

Happy for a little break at home though. I will be back Sunday night.

If anyone on this board is coming up on Feb. 20th let me know.

J.

Steve Nordin
Rookie Member

Postby Steve Nordin » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:19 am

OK JONNY, no need to rub salt in the wounds..... :P

Hope all is going well!

Best of luck!

S
Steven E. Nordin
Corporate Investigator/Intelligence Analyst
Office of the Chief Security Officer
Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.(AECL)

Jonny Utah
Sage Member

Postby Jonny Utah » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:32 am

Sorry Steve :?

Not trying to rub it in, just letting you know what you can expect when you get here. :)

J.

Jonny Utah
Sage Member

Postby Jonny Utah » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:22 pm

Yep, I have heard all about D-Memos.

Apparently thats on Tuesday and Wednesday I think.

Not looking foward to it but it has to be done!

J.

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Tuesday and Wednesday? You will come to wish it were only two days. :P Those volumes of regulations will haunt you until the day you retire. (Rigaud is likely also the only place in Canada where the D-memos are kept up-to-date.)
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

mars222
Rookie Member

Postby mars222 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:30 pm

Thanks Utah for the great update!!

I found your post very interesting and look forward to more updates in the future!!!

It sounds like you are going with the flow... haha. I am glad to hear that there is some great recreational facilities available.

Well I am rooting for ya!! Keep up the great work and hope to hear from you soon.
\

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:56 pm

In comparison to Depot and the Ontario Police College, the food at Rigaud is, by far, the best in terms of taste, variety and quantity. Plus, the fact that almsot everything is in one big building means that you don't have to freeze your proverbials off while heading to the mess or to class.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

gogethimjohnny
Rookie Member

Postby gogethimjohnny » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 am

when was the last time you were at OPC?

According to people I know(HAHAHA) they have changed the menu quite a bit and have brought in a full time nutrition expert!
hope to be a cop one day

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:17 am

Actus Reus wrote:In comparison to Depot and the Ontario Police College, the food at Rigaud is, by far, the best in terms of taste, variety and quantity. Plus, the fact that almsot everything is in one big building means that you don't have to freeze your proverbials off while heading to the mess or to class.

Nothing beats "fish fridays" at the Frost Centre... <sniff> I miss that place..

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:25 am

gogethimjohnny wrote:when was the last time you were at OPC?

According to people I know(HAHAHA) they have changed the menu quite a bit and have brought in a full time nutrition expert!

Last course was in summer 05 and it was pretty much the same as before. I actually don't mind the food but man it would be nice to have something other than eggs at breakfast every day

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:33 am

warden602 wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:In comparison to Depot and the Ontario Police College, the food at Rigaud is, by far, the best in terms of taste, variety and quantity. Plus, the fact that almsot everything is in one big building means that you don't have to freeze your proverbials off while heading to the mess or to class.

Nothing beats "fish fridays" at the Frost Centre... <sniff> I miss that place..

Mmmmmmmm, greasy fish and rice served by local yokels. Ahhh the frost center

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:31 am

The food at OPC is still gross. I saw some customs people there in april 2004 they were doing some PVO stuff. Were you there actus?

GN
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:38 am

Grassy, I was at OPC last year for PVO training. Fantastic course, great instructors and a lot of fun.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:06 am

cool. The PVO guys are a good bunch.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.