Keep the Peace - a law enforcement strategy game

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
deliberative
Rookie Member

Keep the Peace - a law enforcement strategy game

Postby deliberative » Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Nick Morris and I am president of Deliberative Entertainment and a video game developer based in Toronto. I'm writing today in search of feedback from the law enforcement community about a game we are currently prototyping.

The game, Keep the Peace, is an in-depth law enforcement strategy game that puts players in a combo role of Police Chief, Dispatcher, and Incident Commander, and makes them responsible for the safety and security of their town, city, or region. Players will make difficult decisions about the type of police force they want to create and the way they'll approach crime, disasters, and other issues in their jurisdiction. They'll need to balance many different resources, while also managing important -- and sometimes tenuous -- relationships with government officials and their community.

Although Keep the Peace is just a game, and its primary purpose is entertainment, we would like to portray as authentically as possible the challenges of operating a police department and balancing a multitude of government, community, and officer needs under constrained resources. A number of books, memoirs, textbooks and documentaries have informed our design so far, but obviously nothing can substitute for direct feedback from LEOs and allied professionals. And that's why I'm reaching out to you today.

If you've read this far and are interested, and possibly would be interested in sharing your feedback, permit me to provide a little more information about the game. Some of the things you would do in the game include:

• Hiring officers that are right for your department based on various skills and characteristics
• Customizing vehicles, tools, and weapons, to equip your officers appropriately for the tasks you'll be throwing their way
• Assigning your units to patrols and prioritizing their time between preventing crime, reacting to crime, and traffic enforcement
• Dispatching your units to the scene of urgent and non-urgent calls -- everything from break-ins, robberies, vehicle pursuits, shootings, and natural disasters….to car accidents, domestic disturbances, noise complaints, etc. Each type of call could have virtually infinite variations, and situations could change in an instant
• Deciding the overall approach your units should take with complex incidents. Should they negotiate with a hostage taker, or break down the door? Will you allow a growing protest to proceed unimpeded, or will you assign units to divert them elsewhere? A variety of factors could affect your decision in each unique situation.
• Setting policies (e.g. regarding the use of force), implementing programs (e.g. neighborhood watch initiatives, DUI checkpoints), and expanding your capabilities (e.g. with a crime lab, a motor pool, new training facilities, or new technologies)
• Training and promoting your officers, and looking out for their physical health, mental health, and morale
• Dealing with long-term crises. Although Keep the Peace is an open-ended sandbox game, like a SimCity or Civilization, various narrative elements will keep your career interesting and novel. A serial killer could terrorize your streets for months or years; a new gang could come to town; a new mayor could withhold key resources and make your life difficult.

A short "teaser" video demonstrating the current vision for the game is now available on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/Gp_orTIu7Zk

And some screenshots:

The video and screenshots are still rough around the edges, and much of the artwork especially would be updated in later versions, but nevertheless I would love to get your feedback about the overall game as it is so far, at a time when it is still fairly easy to make design changes. For example:
• Are there features you see here that excite you?
• Are there things you see here that you do not like, or feel could be improved/changed?
• Are there things you'd like to see that seem to be missing?
• Do you have any watchouts or other concerns?
• Also: Would you be interested in helping to alpha/beta test early versions of the game during its development?

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There are also more screenshots (and larger versions of the above screenshots) and more information about the game in general on the website we recently launched: http://playktp.com. If you have any quick comments or thoughts, happy to chat here, but for anything more in-depth or private, feel free to PM me or reach me by email: nick.morris@deliberativegames.com.

Please let me say thank you in advance. It means a lot to me that you would take time out of your personal time to check this out and share your thoughts.

Very Sincerely,

Nick Morris
Deliberative Entertainment

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Re: Keep the Peace - a law enforcement strategy game

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I learned everything I needed to know about policing from playing Police Quest and it's served me well throughout my career!

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Wed May 02, 2018 2:11 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:I learned everything I needed to know about policing from playing Police Quest and it's served me well throughout my career!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :alright:
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu May 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Police Quest was amazing. Sierra definitely had a great lineup with Kings Quest and Space Quest.

This new game looks interesting. I like what I see so far.

Game modes that may be fun to add:
-"CSI Miami" mode where the detective constantly crouches, says a witty one liner, then pulls out sunglasses. *cue CSI theme music*
-"Everyone is a lawyer" mode, where citizens repeatedly state that they "pay your salary" and that they know the laws, because their cousin is a law student
-"Everyone is a media reporter" mode, same as above, but involves many cellphone cameras and the occasional "World Star!" reference
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat May 05, 2018 11:40 am

Needs the Law and Order famous "dunh-dunh"
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Sounds like a copy of this is the police / this is the police 2

( a great game I might add)
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

deliberative
Rookie Member

Postby deliberative » Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:I learned everything I needed to know about policing from playing Police Quest and it's served me well throughout my career!

Wow, I played through all four games in the Collection, pretty much back-to-back, when it first came out in 95. They were a major inspiration, but SWAT 2, a few years later, probably had the biggest impact on my desire to make a game like this.

IndictableChaser wrote:Sounds like a copy of this is the police / this is the police 2

Definitely a logical comparison. TitP (and from what I've seen so far of TitP2 as well) is more story-driven and dramatized, while KTP aims to be a realistic open-ended sandbox. Two different approaches to a similar theme. I agree that TitP was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to #2!

Thanks for all the comments! If anyone wants to reach out and discuss anything in more detail, or privately, don't hesitate to message us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playktp/ where we've been fielding many comments and questions from LEOs (though mostly in the States and the UK so far) and non-LEOs alike.

Nick

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 pm

deliberative wrote:Wow, I played through all four games in the Collection, pretty much back-to-back, when it first came out in 95. They were a major inspiration, but SWAT 2, a few years later, probably had the biggest impact on my desire to make a game like this.

SWAT 2 was great, I like the turn based feel of the movement in the game. Made for a very tactical and chess like gameplay.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue May 29, 2018 12:37 pm

mack_silent wrote:
deliberative wrote:Wow, I played through all four games in the Collection, pretty much back-to-back, when it first came out in 95. They were a major inspiration, but SWAT 2, a few years later, probably had the biggest impact on my desire to make a game like this.

SWAT 2 was great, I like the turn based feel of the movement in the game. Made for a very tactical and chess like gameplay.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Canakar
Rookie Member

Postby Canakar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 am

mack_silent wrote:

SWAT 2 and Rainbow Vegas on Playstation 3when it came out I have to agree.
SK
07.02.18 LASIK
07.03.18 Online App. submitted
16.03.18 SP Received
30.03.18 SP Sent
12.04.18 Confirmation of SP
15.05.18 SP Rev
14.06.18 RMAQ rev
26.06.18 RMAQ sent
25.07.18 RMAQ rev'd by NCO
01.08.18 PEP invite
06.09.28 PEP